Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shannon Briggs Makes Boxing Announcing Debut

Something was different about ESPN2's Friday Night Fights. I was relaxed. I was soothed. I wasn't stressed. I didn't change the channel. I wasn't yelling "please stop talking" at the television. The mute button was not engaged. What was the difference? The increasingly annoying team of Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas was replaced last night with the always excellent Brian Kenny and ex-heavyweight champ and Transporter 2actor Shannon Briggs.

I'm not denying Teddy Atlas' extensive knowledge or his boxing acumen. He's a likable guy who every five minutes forgets more about boxing than I'll ever know. My main problem is that during his broadcasts he reminds you how much he knows during every second of every match. Sometimes I just want to watch, and take in both the ringside noise and the sounds of the fight. Atlas never allows for personal reflection; the fight always becomes only what he thinks.

Despite Friday Night Fights being Shannon Briggs' first announcing attempt he sounded relaxed and comfortable. His biggest asset is his very calming pleasantly-toned voice. He's just nice to listen to. He's never whiny and never over-the-top. He's understated but not overwhelmed by the experience, clever without being obnoxious, and jocular with Kenny without excluding to the viewing audience. Sure, he said a lot of banal "wows" "nices" and "definitelys" and his analysis rarely approached the technical smarts of Atlas but I sure hope he gets another color commentary chance.

As for Brian Kenny, he's the best ESPN has to offer. He's a straight announcer who neither plays for laughs nor takes the sports he covers too seriously. His world perspective reaches further than sports and Bristol, Conn; he's not a cookie cutter Syracuse U. broadcast journalist. His on-air presence is always commanding despite the fact that he (thankfully) never yells or raises his voice. If more ESPN sports announcers brought Kenny's studied approach, pleasant, curmudgeon-free attitude, and irony-free personality then maybe I'd start watching SportsCenter again.

Oh, and ESPN, would you please start broadcasting the Wednesday and Friday Night Fights fights in HD? That would be very much appreciated. And please bring back the Kenny-Briggs team. They were great.

And I agree 100 percent.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Shannon Briggs Makes Boxing Announcing Debut

Something was different about ESPN2's Friday Night Fights. I was relaxed. I was soothed. I wasn't stressed. I didn't change the channel. I wasn't yelling "please stop talking" at the television. The mute button was not engaged. What was the difference? The increasingly annoying team of Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas was replaced last night with the always excellent Brian Kenny and ex-heavyweight champ and Transporter 2actor Shannon Briggs.

I'm not denying Teddy Atlas' extensive knowledge or his boxing acumen. He's a likable guy who every five minutes forgets more about boxing than I'll ever know. My main problem is that during his broadcasts he reminds you how much he knows during every second of every match. Sometimes I just want to watch, and take in both the ringside noise and the sounds of the fight. Atlas never allows for personal reflection; the fight always becomes only what he thinks.

Despite Friday Night Fights being Shannon Briggs' first announcing attempt he sounded relaxed and comfortable. His biggest asset is his very calming pleasantly-toned voice. He's just nice to listen to. He's never whiny and never over-the-top. He's understated but not overwhelmed by the experience, clever without being obnoxious, and jocular with Kenny without excluding to the viewing audience. Sure, he said a lot of banal "wows" "nices" and "definitelys" and his analysis rarely approached the technical smarts of Atlas but I sure hope he gets another color commentary chance.

As for Brian Kenny, he's the best ESPN has to offer. He's a straight announcer who neither plays for laughs nor takes the sports he covers too seriously. His world perspective reaches further than sports and Bristol, Conn; he's not a cookie cutter Syracuse U. broadcast journalist. His on-air presence is always commanding despite the fact that he (thankfully) never yells or raises his voice. If more ESPN sports announcers brought Kenny's studied approach, pleasant, curmudgeon-free attitude, and irony-free personality then maybe I'd start watching SportsCenter again.

Oh, and ESPN, would you please start broadcasting the Wednesday and Friday Night Fights fights in HD? That would be very much appreciated. And please bring back the Kenny-Briggs team. They were great.

And I agree 100 percent.
Good article and right on the money. Although I get the WNF's in HD. Maybe he's missing out.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get it in hd as well but he's talking real full wide screen HD ( like the contender season 3 finale ). Not the half your screen fake hd that they make the pic look better by smashing the sides in.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I think Briggs is already a better commenator than Lennex Lewis. HBO needs to get rid of Lewis.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I agree, although lewis has grown on me, he's still a horrible commentator.
You noticed every time a fighter gets knocked down the first thing that comes out of Lewis mouth is "I don't think he's going to make it". A couple of times there were off balance knock downs. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I will always remember when Maskaev knocked Rahman out in the 12th and how excited and happy Lennox was :p ITS OVEEEEERRR!!!!! ITS OVEEEEEERR!!! Man i laughed hard when i heard that :p I dont know i like Lennox altho i prefer George over him. I never heard Briggs announcing tho but like Sugar Ray Leonard alot and Roy jones aswell and i would like to hear them announce more.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
George has a great boxing brain i think he was very good too. Roy was ok too but nothing special.

Id like to see Atlas working with Lamps. I could see those two arguing like fukk on air, neither would give ground and we'd have a drunken Larry Merchant trying to plat peace keeper. LOL!

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roy was always the best imo, George was really good but he alwasy contradicted himself, he got annoying quick, lewis has never been good, " his nose is bleeding so he must of got hit there a few times " I dont like atlas and leonard sounded like a ***. Lampley, merchant and roy were the best team imo. Brian kenny is great too.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Roy was always the best imo, George was really good but he alwasy contradicted himself, he got annoying quick, lewis has never been good, " his nose is bleeding so he must of got hit there a few times " I dont like atlas and leonard sounded like a ***. Lampley, merchant and roy were the best team imo. Brian kenny is great too.
Surprise surprise. LOL!

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Kind of obvious you'd say that Lance :laugh: but he was very good, I don't mind any of the HBO team really, they all know their stuff :thumbsup:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Half the time he picked the round and what punch he would knock the guy out with. I dont really see how the uk guys can talk shiz on roy as a broadcaster, Last time I checked they don't get hbo.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Half the time he picked the round and what punch he would knock the guy out with. I dont really see how the uk guys can talk shiz on roy as a broadcaster, Last time I checked they don't get hbo.
I wasn't...whenever I download fights I try to get them HBO - just prefer them. Actually the Sky Sports team isn't bad but HBO are brilliant IMO ;)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Ive seen Roy plenty of times via downloads. As i said he was good but Foreman was better.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts