Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started boxing at 13, till about 16 and stopped because i was having a kid and had to start working 2 jobs and had no time to train. Now im ready to start boxing again and dedicate all my time to training again. So my question is, am i to old to become a good pro fighter???

·
Registered
11 Posts
i'm 25 as well. i would love to here someone tell me i'm too old to get started, that would fuel my fire. i personally don't think its too old, but its definitely at the upper limit of age to 'start' boxing

·
Registered
212 Posts
well im 17 and i started boxing 3 months ago, and i still think i started pretty late. 25? no offense but i think thats too old to have a successful professional career. You might have a chance to make it to the pro's, but i think ull get killed because the guys in there will have way more experience then you. One of my sparring partners has 2 years of more experience then me and he kicks my a$$ everytime we spar. Now imagine you fighting with a guy who has 10 or 15 years of more experience then you. That would be the case if you made it to the pro's. If you want it bad, go for it. But if you have some big dreams to become the champion of the world, then dont waste ur time. I don't mean to sound like a d!ck, just giving my opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Road Warrior

I recently watched an interview with Glen Johnson and if I remember correctly he didn't get started till pretty late, 19 or 23, I forget. I just got started at 41. :laugh: But, I sure aint going pro...

·
Registered
11 Posts
my apologizes... i forgot to mention that i too do not plan on going pro. military base vs. base ameteur is all i aspire to be good at... or at least able to compete at. I do have to watch out because there are alot of really fit good 18 and 19 year olds that will give me a run for my money.

·
Registered
841 Posts
my apologizes... i forgot to mention that i too do not plan on going pro. military base vs. base ameteur is all i aspire to be good at... or at least able to compete at. I do have to watch out because there are alot of really fit good 18 and 19 year olds that will give me a run for my money.
If you get the rhythm back, then by all means go for it bud, your not too old and an in shape 25 yr old isn't that much of a difference then that of a 18 19 yr old.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm 29 and just got back into the game after 6 years off about a year ago. And I think I'm in the best shape of my life, stronger, and though I'm not as fast, I make up for it in other areas. I'm wiser and more mature. Now I probably won't go and fight in any smokers like I did when I was younger, but I could see competing in a sanctioned amateur event. So by all means I think you should compete man. You should have more natural strength at 25 then 19. Good luck.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
I'm 29 and just got back into the game after 6 years off about a year ago. And I think I'm in the best shape of my life, stronger, and though I'm not as fast, I make up for it in other areas. I'm wiser and more mature. Now I probably won't go and fight in any smokers like I did when I was younger, but I could see competing in a sanctioned amateur event. So by all means I think you should compete man. You should have more natural strength at 25 then 19. Good luck.

Yea what I like to call " that old man strength" , Even in the Glen Johnson vs Dawson Fight it was evident, dawson younger, faster, more agile (mispelled? lol) and Johnson Older , wiser and stronger.

Go for it..Im about to be 24 and have never had boxing training but Ive always been told I should so I've been talking to some of my people that know gyms I could go to once Im back in shape bc my job has made me lazy.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
well im 17 and i started boxing 3 months ago, and i still think i started pretty late. 25? no offense but i think thats too old to have a successful professional career. You might have a chance to make it to the pro's, but i think ull get killed because the guys in there will have way more experience then you. One of my sparring partners has 2 years of more experience then me and he kicks my a$$ everytime we spar. Now imagine you fighting with a guy who has 10 or 15 years of more experience then you. That would be the case if you made it to the pro's. If you want it bad, go for it. But if you have some big dreams to become the champion of the world, then dont waste ur time. I don't mean to sound like a d!ck, just giving my opinion.
Dwight Muhammad Qawi (26 no amateur exp.) and more recently Nate Campbell (26 with only 2 years amateur exp.) have started in their mid 20's, if your committed and dedicated (almost to an obsession) to training and learning boxing, you still have a shot at being something serious. Lack of experience can be overcome by toughness, intelligence, and technique combined with athletic ability.
I recently watched an interview with Glen Johnson and if I remember correctly he didn't get started till pretty late, 19 or 23, I forget. I just got started at 41. :laugh: But, I sure aint going pro...
You could still turn pro, but yeah, 41 would be pushing it to actually perform at the highest level and want to make it a career (unless you have Foreman type power, chin, toughness and smarts. I'm just surprised how young boxing keeps you, I see the 50+ year old SRL and I see a 30 year old.
Yea what I like to call " that old man strength" , Even in the Glen Johnson vs Dawson Fight it was evident, dawson younger, faster, more agile (mispelled? lol) and Johnson Older , wiser and stronger.

Go for it..Im about to be 24 and have never had boxing training but Ive always been told I should so I've been talking to some of my people that know gyms I could go to once Im back in shape bc my job has made me lazy.
Dwight Muhammad Qawi, Nate Campbell, and I'm sure others have performed at the highest level starting at 24 or later. That's kind of how Nate started, he was 24 y/o working in a factory and a co worker saw him shadowboxing and told him he looked pretty good and should go train, so he did and the rest is history.

·
Registered
15 Posts
anything is possible,if you are determined to reach ur goal.
Amen to that, Nate Campbell started when he was 24 I believe and he;s still grinding. The good thing about guys starting late is that they dont have as much wear and tear compared to guys who started when they were 5 yrs old.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I started boxing at 13, till about 16 and stopped because i was having a kid and had to start working 2 jobs and had no time to train. Now im ready to start boxing again and dedicate all my time to training again. So my question is, am i to old to become a good pro fighter???
If you train hard you can do it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts