Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

yes or no?

Is Floyd Mayweather Ducking Miguel Cotto?

73K views 2K replies 64 participants last post by  ulster86 
Cotto pretty much has his year planned out (Gomez, Mayorga & Margarito/Cintron/Clottey) and has NEVER called out or expressed any real interest in fighting Floyd.

Yes, Floyd is ducking Cotto:rolleyes:

Don't you think were jumping the gun alittle bit with the Hatton fight?

Hatton has said he'll never fight at 147lbs again, Hatton presumably still has to beat Laczano & probably Malignaggi as well as Mayweather having to beat DLH. None of those things are foregone conclusions aside from Laczano.

Arum's words were basically Winky isnt worthy of fighting Pavlik. Now thats BULLSH*T and an obvious case of ducking. Im not saying Pavlik or Cotto are ducking there potential opponents, im saying Arum would rather make money off them first. Clottey/Margarito/Cintron/Cotto are all Arum fighters i think, he can make some good $$$ of them before even going near Mayweather.

Hatton don't deserve a rematch with Mayweather. The massive difference in skill was so apparent. The ref from the Zoo fight could ref the fight and PBF would still knock Hatton out. If Hatton was to beat Laczano, Malignaggi & Witter then hes worthy. And while thats happening Floyd can fight Cotto.

All this is just hyping up the fight. Steward isnt partial when it comes to Floyd because he clearly doesnt like him. Eventually, when both are free, Floyd will come out and say hes had enough and hes going to take out Cotto. Just like he did with Hatton.

P4P PR supports there fighters better than Britian no doubt.. but when you take into account the fact that the fight did close to 1m PPV buys just in Britian you can see why it was such a big money fight. I dont even know if PR has 1m population:confused:

I highly doubt it man. Tito is a cult figure in PR, much more popular than Cotto will ever be, and Tito only did 1m+ buys when fighting DLH i think. Besides, only 250k bought Cotto-Judah, only 350k bought Cotto-Mosley.. not all those will be Ricans, so you expect it to jump from something like 150-200k Ricans buying the fight to 1m? Floyd aint that big of a draw man:laugh:

Hopkins was no draw either. The puerto rican fans done the numbers on that fight.....1.1m buys.

Puerto Rico has a population of over 3.5m in there country alone. There are around another 1m alone in New York.

There will probably be another few million scatered all over the rest of America too.
Tito is a much bigger draw than Cotto. His popularity in PR is unrivaled, and he had a bigger following in the US too. Trinidad captured the hearts of PR in a way Cotto will NEVER manage IMO. Hes too quiet and doesnt have Tito's charisma.

Those same fans would get behind Cotto against Mayweather.

The fight should happen, Mayweather is ducking him.
Thats like saying all the fans who bought Hatton vs. Mayweather would buy Calzaghe vs. Hopkins. It don't work like that. Hatton is more popular than Calzaghe, in the same way Tito is more popular in Cotto. Hell, DLH lives out in PR and says Tito is STILL more popular than Cotto, even though hes only had like 2 fights in 3 years:laugh:

Oh yes, Mayweather is ducking Cotto. I forgot that substantial evidence you have:rolleyes:

How can he duck a fighter to fight the best?

That dont make sense.....

Witter has his date, after pbf.

By the way, a year and a half waiting for a shot is about the going rate, its a bit naieve to think as soon as a fighter gets to #1 they fight straight away, that never happens.
WTF? Cotto wasnt the established #1 in the Welterweight division until he beat Mosley. From November 2007, 18 months is May 2009. The fight could very well happen by then, so why the hell are you complaining?:laugh:

Mayweather has not fought a ranked welterweight since Baldomir back in 06.
So, your criticizing him because he stepped up in weight to fight a guy who was ranked #1 or #2 (im presuming, correct me if im wrong) and then fought the recognised #1 at the division below. Seems harsh to me.

He aint even defended that position.
You were all for the Hatton fight. Hatton payed his dues at 140lbs, then stepped upto fight the best at 147. Its how boxing works, i dont know why you would criticize this.

PS. Mayweather was #1 Cotto was #2 and Mosley was #3 when Cotto and Mosley fought.
Yes, but could you say that Cotto was the undisputed #2 behind Mayweather before he beat Mosley? I believe you were one of the doubters there Tommy, as was i.

For me at the moment Floyd is #3 manny pac is #1 Hopkins#2 thats my honest opinion. I cannot in all honesty rank Floyd #1 when he hasnt fought his top contenders in so long. rematches against DLH & Hatton prove nothing only pad his bank balance
I respect your opinion CJ, but i want to ask you a serious question, im not trying to insult you or anything but: Do you think the fact that you have met and talked to Hopkins makes you bias towards him?

That is true Davies. If he throws away the early rounds he will lose very wide because Calzaghe only gets better and stronger as the fight goes on. I think hes more confident in his stamina at 175lbs though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.