Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Is Floyd Mayweather the best ever at 130?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%

Is Floyd the best ever at 130?

4K views 67 replies 17 participants last post by  SugarShane 
#1 ·
There is a strong argument that he is. He can easily be compared to alexis arguello and azumah nelson. IMO he's better than both. Guys like pac, morales, barrera, marquez couldnt touch him at 130. Floyd was a big 130 pounder with great punching power. He was indeed a boxer/puncher at this weight. Many dont know Floyd at this weight, but I think a strong argument can be made that floyd mayweather is the greatest ever at 130 pounds.

Thoughts?

Please don't make this a hate thread. If your are unfamiliar with floyds fights at 130 which many of you are, please dont comment.

#42 ·
Thanks for commenting, I agree. He's definently more of a natural 130 pound guy, just shows how truly great he is competing with the best and beating the guys at 147 and 154.
hell yeah!

The best 130 pounder ever?.. well, maybe, floyd was very good.. Even though I think willie pep was better... greatest 130 pounder? no way...
i think they have a lot of simliarities, but floyd hits harder. i think that gives him the edge

G
#5 ·
I've seen a few of Floyd's fights at 130 and he's a different animal. One fight that stands out is the udefeated bout with Corrales. I haven't seen all the other fights from the greats at this weight so I can't give an answer. But yeah, he was sensational at this weight.

#8 ·
He was definitely more impressive to me as a super featherweight, but best ever, that's hard for me to say. If I did say it, though, it's not like it's a division rich in history and stocked with some of the all-time greats. I wish he would have taken on Freitas, because even though he thoroughly destroyed Corrales who in turn beat Freitas, I feel like Popo would have given him some fits. If he would have dominated 147, fighting true welterweights, that would have been something worth talking about.

#11 ·
Yeah, he won all his fights, including one with a torn shoulder and broken ribs, and captured the title.......

In skill set he could be the best, he could a win head to head 130 prime vs. prime tourney, but he didnt spend enough time or fight any 1st ballot hall of famers there, based on record, no. If Corrales wouldnt had vacated before their fight, there would have been a greater case.

Bottom line for me is he left 3 straps he didnt collect, didnt even hold the Ring belt and left the division while the division was deep. Freitas, Casamayor, etc.
Although both of those guys are great, they arent in floyds league imo. Freitas is a monsterous puncher, but he may of not hit as hard as floyd.

#10 ·
In skill set he could be the best, he could a win head to head 130 prime vs. prime tourney, but he didnt spend enough time or fight any 1st ballot hall of famers there, based on record, no. If Corrales wouldnt had vacated before their fight, there would have been a greater case.

Bottom line for me is he left 3 straps he didnt collect, didnt even hold the Ring belt and left the division while the division was deep. Freitas, Casamayor, etc.

#18 ·

Can be said for just about every divison he has been in. To me, he will be a pretty good fighter that could have been great.

#14 ·
I dont think pep was a 130 pound fighter. Thats why I mentioned 130. However I think floyds talent and skill exceeds pep, just based on the improvement of boxing fundamentals alone. Im not goign to sit here and say floyd is better or pep is better, but based on what I have seen. I will argue that floyd is better. But I've seen much more floyd, and I think floyd would be much to big for pep as well.

#16 ·
Pep fought alot of fights at 130, even though he was the featherweight champion, he could fight very well at that weight class... But this is a very hard call due the distance of their respective eras. You're right, most of willie pep's televised bouts were at featherweight, so i'll leave it alone. I agree, I think floyd would probably beat any 130 career fighter

#24 ·
I have hated on the guy, but most of it is when he acts like a clown. I have also said a long azz time ago before most these people were here that he is a very skilled fighter. But you have to admit, every time he left a divison there was always some kind of unfinished business. Especially now at 147.

#25 ·
There will always be unfinished business though. Always. I don't fault him for moving through the weights the way he did. He was constantly beating bigger guys which impressed the hell out of me. You can go back and criticise many greats who moved through the weights for guys they didn't fight in hindsight.

#27 ·
True it does happen. But this thread is about him being the best at 130. In order for that to happen you have to beat all that were there which he did not. And to leave names like Casa, and Kosta behind are pretty big names no matter who he moved up to fight.

#26 ·
There is a strong argument that he is. He can easily be compared to alexis arguello and azumah nelson. IMO he's better than both. Guys like pac, morales, barrera, marquez couldnt touch him at 130. Floyd was a big 130 pounder with great punching power. He was indeed a boxer/puncher at this weight. Many dont know Floyd at this weight, but I think a strong argument can be made that floyd mayweather is the greatest ever at 130 pounds.

Thoughts?

Please don't make this a hate thread. If your are unfamiliar with floyds fights at 130 which many of you are, please dont comment.
The answer is NO he's not the best he didnt fight the best. Please do not call this a hate post its just my honest opinion

#38 ·
Chavez was great. But I think Arguello did more. I think he's the greatest 130 pounder ever

#51 ·
Not in your head, but you'll prob claim hatton is best ever at 140. Let me quote a song, " Don't speak, I know just what your thinking"

Pacquiao deserves a shout. He's beat 3 future HOF'ers at the weight and a former world champion.
Haha wow, As big of pac fan as I am, He wouldnt last 6 rounds with mayweather at that weight. Pac isnt a 130 pound fighter.

The best Jr Lightweigth is Flash Elorde
Pac beats elorde.

Yeah I know. I just f'ed up. I meant Freitas. I had a serious drunk fest this past weekend and am now just starting to feel better. Drank from Friday afternoon until 5:30 Sat. morning, went to bed until 7:30 am and then woke up and drank all day until about 2:30 Sun morning. And I feel like HELL! Never drank so much tequila in my life!

I will second that! My be a little bias cuz he is my favorite fighter, but oh well!:D
Floyd out boxes julio much like taylor did, but floyd doesnt get ko'ed at the end.

#46 ·
I think Mayweather is right up there, but not quite the best ever at 130. He was almost unbeatable at times and very impressive, but I still wouldn't quite put him as the best. Still, there is a habit (in most sports) of talking down today's greats, saying they're not as good as the greats of yesteryear blah blah. A few years after Floyd's career ends he may well be regarded as the best ever at 130 IMO. Time will tell though :thumbsup:

#47 ·
His skill set at the weight might be the best ever and in head to head matchup prime vs. prime he me could beat all of em but for the record at the weight its a no. I know Im repeating myself but I had to do it, his competition for the best champ at super featherweight (which means who beat better comp at 130) is Azumah Nelson, Arguello, JCC, Freitas, and Pacquiao.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.