Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Is Floyd Mayweather the best ever at 130?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a strong argument that he is. He can easily be compared to alexis arguello and azumah nelson. IMO he's better than both. Guys like pac, morales, barrera, marquez couldnt touch him at 130. Floyd was a big 130 pounder with great punching power. He was indeed a boxer/puncher at this weight. Many dont know Floyd at this weight, but I think a strong argument can be made that floyd mayweather is the greatest ever at 130 pounds.

Thoughts?

Please don't make this a hate thread. If your are unfamiliar with floyds fights at 130 which many of you are, please dont comment.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Oh how I would of loved to have seen Mayweather-Joel Casamayor at 130. That would of been great.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for commenting, I agree. He's definently more of a natural 130 pound guy, just shows how truly great he is competing with the best and beating the guys at 147 and 154.

G

·
I've seen a few of Floyd's fights at 130 and he's a different animal. One fight that stands out is the udefeated bout with Corrales. I haven't seen all the other fights from the greats at this weight so I can't give an answer. But yeah, he was sensational at this weight.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
his 2 round destruction of manfredy ( although so argue it was early stoppage ). His dismantling of genero hernandez. He has some great performances at 130.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
He was definitely more impressive to me as a super featherweight, but best ever, that's hard for me to say. If I did say it, though, it's not like it's a division rich in history and stocked with some of the all-time greats. I wish he would have taken on Freitas, because even though he thoroughly destroyed Corrales who in turn beat Freitas, I feel like Popo would have given him some fits. If he would have dominated 147, fighting true welterweights, that would have been something worth talking about.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
In skill set he could be the best, he could a win head to head 130 prime vs. prime tourney, but he didnt spend enough time or fight any 1st ballot hall of famers there, based on record, no. If Corrales wouldnt had vacated before their fight, there would have been a greater case.

Bottom line for me is he left 3 straps he didnt collect, didnt even hold the Ring belt and left the division while the division was deep. Freitas, Casamayor, etc.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We all know what happened when he stepped up to 135, but I'll not go off topic.
Yeah, he won all his fights, including one with a torn shoulder and broken ribs, and captured the title.......

In skill set he could be the best, he could a win head to head 130 prime vs. prime tourney, but he didnt spend enough time or fight any 1st ballot hall of famers there, based on record, no. If Corrales wouldnt had vacated before their fight, there would have been a greater case.

Bottom line for me is he left 3 straps he didnt collect, didnt even hold the Ring belt and left the division while the division was deep. Freitas, Casamayor, etc.
Although both of those guys are great, they arent in floyds league imo. Freitas is a monsterous puncher, but he may of not hit as hard as floyd.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
The best 130 pounder ever?.. well, maybe, floyd was very good.. Even though I think willie pep was better... greatest 130 pounder? no way...

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I can't think of anyone who is clearly better or even very close for that matter. Like Merchant said, "Based on his style and skill set he would beat anyone and everyone right now."

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont think pep was a 130 pound fighter. Thats why I mentioned 130. However I think floyds talent and skill exceeds pep, just based on the improvement of boxing fundamentals alone. Im not goign to sit here and say floyd is better or pep is better, but based on what I have seen. I will argue that floyd is better. But I've seen much more floyd, and I think floyd would be much to big for pep as well.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I dont think pep was a 130 pound fighter. Thats why I mentioned 130. However I think floyds talent and skill exceeds pep, just based on the improvement of boxing fundamentals alone. Im not goign to sit here and say floyd is better or pep is better, but based on what I have seen. I will argue that floyd is better. But I've seen much more floyd, and I think floyd would be much to big for pep as well.
Pep fought alot of fights at 130, even though he was the featherweight champion, he could fight very well at that weight class... But this is a very hard call due the distance of their respective eras. You're right, most of willie pep's televised bouts were at featherweight, so i'll leave it alone. I agree, I think floyd would probably beat any 130 career fighter

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Can be said for just about every divison he has been in. To me, he will be a pretty good fighter that could have been great.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yeah but come on Shawn. You're a self-admitted Floyd hater. He could beat Cotto at 147 and you would still find something to take away from his victory. He could have beaten Casa and you'd still have something negative to say. :)

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Although both of those guys are great, they arent in floyds league imo. Freitas is a monsterous puncher, but he may of not hit as hard as floyd.
I didnt say they were in his league, I said he left the division while they were beltholders without fighting them he would have an almost inarguable case if he beat both of them unifying, or at least 1 while unifying.

Pep fought alot of fights at 130, even though he was the featherweight champion, he could fight very well at that weight class... But this is a very hard call due the distance of their respective eras. You're right, most of willie pep's televised bouts were at featherweight, so i'll leave it alone. I agree, I think floyd would probably beat any 130 career fighter
I said this before, I think he could beat every top 130 champ prime vs. prime. His competition for the best champ at super featherweight (which means who beat better comp at 130) is Azumah Nelson, Arguello, JCC, Freitas, and Pacquiao.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts