Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
G

·
he is the best fighter he fought, i dont care what joe says, he aint been in with anyone of Bhops class before. Maybe the fact he waited till he was 43 to fight him was a factor

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is the best fighter he fought, i dont care what joe says, he aint been in with anyone of Bhops class before. Maybe the fact he waited till he was 43 to fight him was a factor

Hopkins openly ducked Calzaghe in 2002.

I dont think Hopkins is great at all the best two 160lb fighters he ever fought beat him, his style doesnt suit Calzaghes, Kessler is a better fighter than Hopkins.

Wheres Steve Collins?

·
Registered
772 Posts

I dont think Hopkins is great at all the best two 160lb fighters he ever fought beat him, his style doesnt suit Calzaghes, Kessler is a better fighter than Hopkins.

Wheres Steve Collins?
that is true, hopkins was the one doing the ducking, joe calzaghe didn't duck hopkins, not once, he wanted to fight him more then anyone but hopkins never wanted to face him till he had to.

i'd say hopkins is one of the most experienced fighters joe calzaghe has fought, but e is only hard to fight because of his awkward style and his dirty tactics, kessler was a much harder fight for joe then hopkins was, especially a 43 year old hopkins, who used such dirty tactics because it was his only hope. maybe 5 years ago he wouldn't have had to rely on those sort of tactics as much, but it was just a very ugly fight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is true, hopkins was the one doing the ducking, joe calzaghe didn't duck hopkins, not once, he wanted to fight him more then anyone but hopkins never wanted to face him till he had to.

i'd say hopkins is one of the most experienced fighters joe calzaghe has fought, but e is only hard to fight because of his awkward style and his dirty tactics, kessler was a much harder fight for joe then hopkins was, especially a 43 year old hopkins, who used such dirty tactics because it was his only hope. maybe 5 years ago he wouldn't have had to rely on those sort of tactics as much, but it was just a very ugly fight.

Hopkins of 5-6 years ago would have opened up and Calzaghe would have served him up.

The only version of Hopkins that could ever beat Calzaghe was that one, i also think it a crime a guy that big he was clearly bigger than Calzaghe stayed at a weight he had every physical advantage over every opponent AND his best wins were over 147lb fighters.

His action and comments pre and post fight were classless.

G

·
Calzaghe>Hopkins prime V prime

The only thing that made their fight close was the knockdown. It gave Hopkins something to hang onto.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts

Wheres Steve Collins?
Credibility is dropping with each word typed. So because his style didnt suit Calzaghe, Bernard is not a great fighter? :rolleyes: Was it that undesirable style that put Joe on his ass in their fight? :laugh:
Kessler is a very good fighter. Bernard is a hall of famer, and one of the best middleweights in the last 30 years. What weight was Hopkins fighting at in 2002? How about Calzaghe? Did Calzaghe offer to come down to 160 to fight Hopkins?

Kessler is Not a better fighter than Hokpins, and he probably never will be.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Credibility is dropping with each word typed. So because his style didnt suit Calzaghe, Bernard is not a great fighter? :rolleyes: Was it that undesirable style that put Joe on his ass in their fight? :laugh:
Kessler is a very good fighter. Bernard is a hall of famer, and one of the best middleweights in the last 30 years. What weight was Hopkins fighting at in 2002? How about Calzaghe? Did Calzaghe offer to come down to 160 to fight Hopkins?

my sentiments exactly. calzaghe-ites are very quick to call bernard a classless individual, but joe is showing he's a little classless himself imo. it's clear as day that hopkins was the best fighter he's faced. prime vs prime the fight would've actually been an exciting match that i believe hopkins would've won. the way their fight went all but assures me a prime hopkins beats calzaghe. calzaghe was the much younger fighter with a lot more left in the tank, and still struggled with a 43-year old hopkins. the "executioner"(hopkins of seven years ago) would've been much more aggressive.

·
Registered
772 Posts
my sentiments exactly. calzaghe-ites are very quick to call bernard a classless individual, but joe is showing he's a little classless himself imo. it's clear as day that hopkins was the best fighter he's faced. prime vs prime the fight would've actually been an exciting match that i believe hopkins would've won. the way their fight went all but assures me a prime hopkins beats calzaghe. calzaghe was the much younger fighter with a lot more left in the tank, and still struggled with a 43-year old hopkins. the "executioner"(hopkins of seven years ago) would've been much more aggressive.
he only stuggled with hopkins because hopkins went in the ring to fight dirty, he went in the ring on the back foot looking to tie calzaghe up everytime joe came in on the offensive, a primne vs. prime we would have seen hopkins with alot more energy and alot more desire to win, he wouldn't have got in the ring to make joe look bad he would have got in the ring to try and win, but he stayed on the ropes holding calzaghe at every chance he got, he went down fore 23 minutes at a suspect low blow, it was a poor show from the old man, but he is getting on and he couldn't keep up with the work rate of calzaghe,

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Of course Kessler is a better fighter.

No bigger "boxing fans" than those from Philly.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yeah, you could say that. COnsidering Philly has produced some of the all time greats, and were actually knowledgeable.

Kessler is a more exciting fighter...not a better fighter, and this is in the here and right now. Career wise there is absolutely no comparison...lets be honest

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Career wise Hopkins is a better fighter then Kessler, but IMO, Hopkins looked old in his fight with Cal. Kessler to me, seemed the better fighter at that moment.

·
Registered
772 Posts

:laugh::laugh:

thats the most stupid comment ever, as if calzaghe would drain himself of weight when he struggles to make 168, to fight hopkins at 160, when hopkins moved up a weight he stiled ducked calzaghe, because he knew it would be too great challenge,

once he was 43 and he had nothing to loose no undefeated record, no actual world title, he comes calls calzaghe out then, to try and make calzaghe look bad with his dismal tactics and boring fighting style,

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Career wise Hopkins is a better fighter then Kessler, but IMO, Hopkins looked old in his fight with Cal. Kessler to me, seemed the better fighter at that moment.
ya think? the man is 43 frickin' years old for pete's sake, and calzaghe still struggled with him. that's a testament to just how good hopkins is imo.

he only stuggled with hopkins because hopkins went in the ring to fight dirty, he went in the ring on the back foot looking to tie calzaghe up everytime joe came in on the offensive, a primne vs. prime we would have seen hopkins with alot more energy and alot more desire to win, he wouldn't have got in the ring to make joe look bad he would have got in the ring to try and win, but he stayed on the ropes holding calzaghe at every chance he got, he went down fore 23 minutes at a suspect low blow, it was a poor show from the old man, but he is getting on and he couldn't keep up with the work rate of calzaghe,

:thumbsup:
if it was a poor show for the old man, then i'm inclined to think that taints the younger man' show.

i always thought of hopkins style as "rough" as opposed to "dirty". i feel the same way about hatton to a certain extent. if hopkins was a "dirty" fighter i would think he'd be one to deliberately hit someone in the balls or something to that effect. calzaghe was doing his fair share of "rough" tactics himself. i initially thought hopkins was playing up the low-blow like everyone else, but if you're nutsack gets pinched like hopkins claimed then maybe he didn't play it up all that much.

G

·
Please not the old man excuses again :laugh: Hopkins hasn't deteriorated much in terms of fitness which is a credit to him. Calzaghe ain't no spring chick either. ;)

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

Like Calzaghe could ever have got down to 160 :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
ya think? the man is 43 frickin' years old for pete's sake, and calzaghe still struggled with him. that's a testament to just how good hopkins is imo.

if it was a poor show for the old man, then i'm inclined to think that taints the younger man' show.

i always thought of hopkins style as "rough" as opposed to "dirty". i feel the same way about hatton to a certain extent. if hopkins was a "dirty" fighter i would think he'd be one to deliberately hit someone in the balls or something to that effect. calzaghe was doing his fair share of "rough" tactics himself. i initially thought hopkins was playing up the low-blow like everyone else, but if you're nutsack gets pinched like hopkins claimed then maybe he didn't play it up all that much.
well the first one didn't look that bad, the second one didn't look like much aswell. hopkins did try to tap calz **** aswell. the ref was on his left and he used his right hand. luckily calz has a protector and din't feel it. oh wait hopkins musta had a protector too. definately hopkins is very old at 43. calzaghe is also old for a boxer himself at 36. calzaghes's style is very tough. i'm just a normal guy and to shadow box with 100 punches is very tiring for me. so i cabn imagine what a 36 year old doing it for 12 rounds would feel like.

calzaghe is very fit. he claims that in the gym with all the other boxers he is the king in terms of fitness etc. there are some young guys in his gym too, but none really world class. maybe enzo maccarinelli but he got ko'd.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Please not the old man excuses again :laugh: Hopkins hasn't deteriorated much in terms of fitness which is a credit to him. Calzaghe ain't no spring chick either. ;)
ha ha! the only reason hopkins is able to fight at a high level is the fact he takes care of his body better than 99% of his peers. hopkins is 43 years old and this can't be ignored when talking about performances. there's no way around it. he has deteriotated considerably imo, and it's a testament to his craftiness that he's able to fight the best and not be dominated. if hopkins would've gotten the decision then calzaghe would've been roasted with ridicule. calzaghe is no spring chicken, but the fact is he's 7 years younger. this is the only reason why calzaghe was the heavy favorite going in, and rightfully so. what hopkins has done at his advanced age is remarkable.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, you could say that. COnsidering Philly has produced some of the all time greats, and were actually knowledgeable.

Kessler is a more exciting fighter...not a better fighter, and this is in the here and right now. Career wise there is absolutely no comparison...lets be honest

What i ment was better boxer, overall Hopkins is a better fighter on boxing skill id give it to Kessler but as an overall game Hopkins is the hardest guy to fight no doubt.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.