Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Is Joe Calzaghe ducking Kelly Pavlik?

1 - 20 of 276 Posts
G

·
No. The fight with Pavlik has only surfaced in the last few weeks. Before that it was all Jones. I think he'll fight him eventually, he needs to otherwise I'll lose some respect for him.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. The fight with Pavlik has only surfaced in the last few weeks. Before that it was all Jones. I think he'll fight him eventually, he needs to otherwise I'll lose some respect for him.
Its been longer than a few weeks plus everyone has known for a while that Pavlik would be the better fight for Calzaghe.

G

·
Its been longer than a few weeks plus everyone has known for a while that Pavlik would be the better fight for Calzaghe.
It's only picked up momentum recently. I'm not disagreeing that Pavlik is the much better fight but talks have been going on with Jones so how can you say he's ducking Pavlik? Also his last fight was in April and Pavliks last week, give them some time.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If Joe gets past Jones i'm 90% sure Pavlik/Calzaghe will happen early next year. both will still need to be undefeated though.

It works out well for me, because even though I may have made the trip to Vegas in October. I'm DEF GOING to Kelly's Sept bout in hopfully in Ohio as plained.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
No. To duck someone you have to turn down offers, avoid talking about them, not fight them within a year or so of when the demand rises. A guy isn't ducking another guy just because talks start and fans want the fight.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't think so eighter plus nobody here has mentioned that they happen to be in two different weight classes and I didn't see Pavlik calling out Joe.There is allot of great fight out there for Kelly Kessler,Miranda rematch or the winner of Arthur vs Miranda war.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Calzaghe has spent his whole career seeking fights like this. He's there now so he aint gonna duck him.

Jones has always been Joe's prefered option.

Whoever said Kelly is in the driving seat is wrong too.

Calzaghe is the man to beat between 160/175.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Agree with nearly everything that has been said, JC is obviously chasing the money with the RJJ fight. Don't think anyone could begrudge him that at this point in his career. Hopefully he fights Pavlik afterwards, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not sure if he will be ducking anything if he retires after RJJ. It's not as if Pavlik has any right to a shot at JC. Mayweather retired with a serious contender for his ring belt and P4P title snapping at his heels and to most this didn't constitute ducking.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not as if Pavlik has any right to a shot at JC. Mayweather retired with a serious contender for his ring belt and P4P title snapping at his heels and to most this didn't constitute ducking.

Why wouldn't he? Oh and two wrongs dont make a right ;)

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
No. To duck someone you have to turn down offers, avoid talking about them, not fight them within a year or so of when the demand rises. A guy isn't ducking another guy just because talks start and fans want the fight.
cotto-ties should take note:cool:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Pavlik needs to fight AA when he smashes Miranda.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts