Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Is Floyd ducking Margarito?

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even Floyds groupies dont beleive he's retired so why aint he making this fight?

I dont want to hear it wouldn't sell because that is just BS. Mayweather vs Margarito would do 1m buys, Floyd wont get that fighting anyone but Oscar or Hatton. Oscar wont fight him now, he's only having one more fight then its goodnight Oscar.

Fighting Hatton again was being spoke of, Hatton is booked right now though.

So...

Who does it leave?

Margarito.

Floyds already rejected his highest purse to fight him. He even bought out his contract with Arum and tried to fight Cory Stinx instead before Baldomir rescued him.

Theres no Baldomir here now though....Only Margarito.

If Mayweather doesn't fight him everything he's done in the game will become shadowed by this. Everytime somebody brings up the 5 titles 10 people will always bring up Margarito.

Floyd needs to grow a set of nuts and fight Tony, doing that win or lose gets him respect. He'd get more respect fighting him and losing than not fighting him at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just for the record, I am not a Mayweather fan. I don't like his antics in or out of the ring, I think he has a big mouth and an even bigger ego. But to answer the question: is he ducking Margarito I would have to answer no. Will he ever fight him? Probably not, but if he does it will be after AM shows signs of slowing down.

PBF is the ultimate opportunist, he moves around into different weight classes in order to collect belts and avoid true conflict inside the ring. He loves to fight guys once they are no longer at their pinnacle.

Could he beat Margo? Yes, and he would probably win 10 out of 12 rounds. He is smart inside the ropes, but he is also smart in choosing his opponents.

Does he seem like a coward at times? Absolutely. Is he? Hell no. He is a true manipulator of the system, and is thoroughly convinced by his hangers on that he is the 2nd coming of Sugar Ray Robinson, they have to be high to think of him in that manner, but he must pay well:dunno:. He is a right handed version of Pernell Whitaker, but Sweet Pea got in there with everyone.

In 10 years we will talk of PBF and RJJ in the same fashion: 2 great fighters who always took a cautious approach, never seemed to fight the best available competition and never lived up to their potential due to the lack of memorable clashes with their contemporaries.

And whoever wants to argue either of these guys cases, remember what McClellan, Stevie Johnston, Benn, Collins, Julian Jackson, Shane Mosley, Freitas, Casamayor, Tszyu, Michalcheski, Michael Nunn and Paul Williams all have in common. They each were at or around the top of divisions that PBF and RJJ reigned over and were passed over time and time again for the path of least resistance. That will be remembered.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Just for the record, I am not a Mayweather fan. I don't like his antics in or out of the ring, I think he has a big mouth and an even bigger ego. But to answer the question: is he ducking Margarito I would have to answer no. Will he ever fight him? Probably not, but if he does it will be after AM shows signs of slowing down.

PBF is the ultimate opportunist, he moves around into different weight classes in order to collect belts and avoid true conflict inside the ring. He loves to fight guys once they are no longer at their pinnacle.

Could he beat Margo? Yes, and he would probably win 10 out of 12 rounds. He is smart inside the ropes, but he is also smart in choosing his opponents.

Does he seem like a coward at times? Absolutely. Is he? Hell no. He is a true manipulator of the system, and is thoroughly convinced by his hangers on that he is the 2nd coming of Sugar Ray Robinson, they have to be high to think of him in that manner, but he must pay well:dunno:. He is a right handed version of Pernell Whitaker, but Sweet Pea got in there with everyone.

In 10 years we will talk of PBF and RJJ in the same fashion: 2 great fighters who always took a cautious approach, never seemed to fight the best available competition and never lived up to their potential due to the lack of memorable clashes with their contemporaries.

And whoever wants to argue either of these guys cases, remember what McClellan, Stevie Johnston, Benn, Collins, Julian Jackson, Shane Mosley, Freitas, Casamayor, Tszyu, Michalcheski, Michael Nunn and Paul Williams all have in common. They each were at or around the top of divisions that PBF and RJJ reigned over and were passed over time and time again for the path of least resistance. That will be remembered.
Solid post. You hit all of the names that I always use in my arguments against both guys, especially Floyd.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
When Floyd retired he was lined up to fight Oscar, and people said he was ducking Cotto. :laugh: Now Cotto goes out and gets beat, so his haters start saying he retired to duck Margarito.:laugh: If Williams beats Margarito again that must mean that Floyd retired to duck Williams.:laugh: Then if Williams fights Pavlik Floyd is ducking Pavlik.:laugh: The poll on this thread will show nothing. Pipios, Windowguy, C.J.Rock, Thomas, Hugo, and the rest of the people who will always chose the most negative-mayweather choice in any poll will surely vote yes on this one. The logic of this thread is that of a child when you really break it down.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Good post and i agree to the most part. :thumbsup:

Manipulating the system though. Well, doing that to face less fighters is ducking in my book.

He's minipulating it so he does not have to face the top guys.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
What about Diego Corrales? He was in his prime, undefeated and coming off his 3rd KO victory in a row. I wonder how you can downplay that.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When Floyd retired he was lined up to fight Oscar, and people said he was ducking Cotto. :laugh: Now Cotto goes out and gets beat, so his haters start saying he retired to duck Margarito.:laugh: If Williams beats Margarito again that must mean that Floyd retired to duck Williams.:laugh: Then if Williams fights Pavlik Floyd is ducking Pavlik.:laugh: The poll on this thread will show nothing. Pipios, Windowguy, C.J.Rock, Thomas, Hugo, and the rest of the people who will always chose the most negative-mayweather choice in any poll will surely vote yes on this one. The logic of this thread is that of a child when you really break it down.
So people have just started saying he's ducking Margarito now have they? LMAO!

Yeah right....Its been said for a couple of years now. Now that Margarito is the #1 guy though no excuses can be offered.

By the way, you voted on option 2 instead of option 3. LOL!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Just read this article...

3. Retired or not… the “Pretty Boy” is “Money”

OK, last but not least this week can we finally give this Mayweather bashing a rest?

Kellerman’s show-ending soliloquy - the latest in a network series aimed at the former five-division champion - was predictably long on wind and supposition, but conveniently short on facts and logic.

To claim Floyd’s legacy is somehow lacking, after a career that featured 39 straight wins and a multi-year run of world-class victims, seems more a product of personal distaste than an actual deficiency.

Unlike many who claim multi-class status, Mayweather has faced and beaten the best along the way - including 38-1-1 Genaro Hernandez and 33-0 Diego Corrales at 130, consensus No. 1 Jose Luis Castillo (twice) at 135, fan-favorite tough guy Arturo Gatti at 140 and returning elitist Oscar De La Hoya at 154.

He was a pristine 4-for-4 over two years as a welterweight, scoring dominant wins over a linear champion (Baldomir), a once-removed undisputed champion (Judah) and an unbeaten media darling claimant (Hatton) that saw him take 85 of a possible 99 rounds over nine judges’ scorecards.

Was he always a great guy along the way? Maybe not.

Did he approach fights late in his career with a businessman’s eye? Yes.

But he’s hardly the first to be guilty of either. And while Kellerman was so eloquently trashing him for “ducking” Margarito, he was ignoring the point he’d made moments earlier about the Tijuana Tornado’s reticence to face Clottey again because he wasn’t the most lucrative option out there.

If Floyd takes him up on the offer to return… I hope he’s got his crow seasonings ready.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Margarito has nothing to prove against Clottey he's already clearly beat him once before.

Mayweather has ducked this guy for years using the excuse that he doesn't deserve it cause he aint done shiit. He said if Margarito gets in a position where he's at the top then he'd fight him....We'll, Margarito is at the top right now....Floyds still being a pussy.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Margarito is ducking the Paul Williams rematch, turns down career high payday!

By Mark Vester

Dan Goossen, promoter for WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams, has sent a hefty offer to Bob Arum of Top Rank for a 2009 unification rematch with WBA champion Antonio Margarito. Williams won a close decision over Margarito last year.

Arum has mentioned several opponents for Margarito's next fight, but Williams is not one them. The reason given by Arum is the bad blood with Williams' advisor, Al Haymon. Goossen told boxing scribe Tim Smith that he sent Arum an offer for the rematch last week and has yet to hear back from anyone in Top Rank. Margarito's purse for the first Williams bout is still the highest of his career, $1.6 million to $1.5 for what he made against Miguel Cotto

"I sent Bob and offer sheet for a $4 million guarantee for the rematch in the first quarter of 2009 against 50% of the revenue," Goossen said. "If he rejected any part of the agreement he could flip it and I'll accept the same terms."

Arum told several outlets that he wanted to match Margarito against the winner of Joshua Clottey-Zab Judah, which Clottey won to capture the IBF welterweight title. Goossen told Smith that a fight against either is not good for the sport.

"It certainly does make things easier for him, but it does nothing good for the sport," said Dan Goossen, Williams' promoter. "It's his prerogative. But we shouldn't let our personal greed dictate the sport. Paul Williams can certainly fight someone else on HBO, but it won't be as lucrative and it won't be as big a match for the fans."

If Williams is unable to land Margarito, Goossen says that he will probably get his mandatory defense out the way by facing Michael Jennings.

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ [email protected]

So while Margarito is running around ducking everyone out there the Margy lovers/Floyd haters take the time to try to say a guy who retired and isn't even active is ducking Marga freakin rito! LMAO at all who vote yes.

1. No offer has been made by team Margarito to Floyd.

2. There's NO way team Margarito can offer Floyd more money than a potential fight with Oscar or Hatton would net him.

3. How is that ducking?

Retired boxers can not duck anyone. Active boxers (Margarito) who turn down a career high payday and an opportunity to avenge a loss to Williams, which would practically unify the welterweight division are ducks. Funny how this got turned right on its head.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm still laughing. "Floyd is ducking the great Miguel Cotto." Floyd said when he retired that Cotto isn't that good and he'd get exposed. He was right. This stuff cracks me up. I have nothing more to say. This entire argument was shut down in my first 3 posts.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Floyd aint retired. LOL!

Even your on record saying he's talking shiit. He was retired before remember?

Fought Hatton after that.

He needs to be fighting Margarito, no if's or buts about it!

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Cotto gets beat, so now Floyd is ducking Margarito? Laughable :laugh: Margarito hasn't ever been the big name top Welterweight either. No way is Floyd ducking him.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I wouldn't say Floyd is ducking Margarito. If he returns to fight anyone else other than Tony, then i would have to agree that he doesn't seem to want any of him. Which to me is a total suprise because i think he'd win it comfortably.

G

·
What about Diego Corrales? He was in his prime, undefeated and coming off his 3rd KO victory in a row. I wonder how you can downplay that.
He was struggling to make weight big time. He was still over the limit at a test weigh-in and had to lose weight on the day of the fight. Mayweather would beat him 10/10 but that's how you downplay it.

He was a pristine 4-for-4 over two years as a welterweight, scoring dominant wins over a linear champion (Baldomir), a once-removed undisputed champion (Judah) and an unbeaten media darling claimant (Hatton) that saw him take 85 of a possible 99 rounds over nine judges’ scorecards.[/B]

He forgot to include Sharmba Mitchell. :laugh:

Shane, you've said before that if Mayweather didn't come out of retirement to fight Cotto he is a bitch. Now you're laughing at everyone that says he was ducking Cotto just because Cotto lost to Margarito. I know Mayweather is one of your favourite fighters but you must know he's avoiding the top welterweights. Why else is he retired when he could be racking up millions? What I don't like about him is he talks all the shitt without having the balls to back it up. If he's as good as SRR like he claims to be :)laugh::laugh:) then what's he doing hiding in retirement when he could enhance his legacy greatly and shut all his critics up?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't say Floyd is ducking Margarito. If he returns to fight anyone else other than Tony, then i would have to agree that he doesn't seem to want any of him. Which to me is a total suprise because i think he'd win it comfortably.
Do you think he'll fight again though Tom?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im almost 100% sure he will. I wouldn't say im 100% sure it will be against Margarito though....
Gotta agree. I think we all know for a fact he'll fight again.

His chances of fighting Margarito though, slim verging on very slim.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
He was struggling to make weight big time. He was still over the limit at a test weigh-in and had to lose weight on the day of the fight. Mayweather would beat him 10/10 but that's how you downplay it.

He forgot to include Sharmba Mitchell. :laugh:

Shane, you've said before that if Mayweather didn't come out of retirement to fight Cotto he is a bitch. Now you're laughing at everyone that says he was ducking Cotto just because Cotto lost to Margarito. I know Mayweather is one of your favourite fighters but you must know he's avoiding the top welterweights. Why else is he retired when he could be racking up millions? What I don't like about him is he talks all the shitt without having the balls to back it up. If he's as good as SRR like he claims to be :)laugh::laugh:) then what's he doing hiding in retirement when he could enhance his legacy greatly and shut all his critics up?
Wrong. I said if Floyd doesn't come out and fight an undefeated Cotto then fukk Floyd. Those were my words. Cotto lost.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Just read this article...

3. Retired or not… the “Pretty Boy” is “Money”

OK, last but not least this week can we finally give this Mayweather bashing a rest?

Kellerman’s show-ending soliloquy - the latest in a network series aimed at the former five-division champion - was predictably long on wind and supposition, but conveniently short on facts and logic.

To claim Floyd’s legacy is somehow lacking, after a career that featured 39 straight wins and a multi-year run of world-class victims, seems more a product of personal distaste than an actual deficiency.

Unlike many who claim multi-class status, Mayweather has faced and beaten the best along the way - including 38-1-1 Genaro Hernandez and 33-0 Diego Corrales at 130, consensus No. 1 Jose Luis Castillo (twice) at 135, fan-favorite tough guy Arturo Gatti at 140 and returning elitist Oscar De La Hoya at 154.

He was a pristine 4-for-4 over two years as a welterweight, scoring dominant wins over a linear champion (Baldomir), a once-removed undisputed champion (Judah) and an unbeaten media darling claimant (Hatton) that saw him take 85 of a possible 99 rounds over nine judges’ scorecards.

Was he always a great guy along the way? Maybe not.

Did he approach fights late in his career with a businessman’s eye? Yes.

But he’s hardly the first to be guilty of either. And while Kellerman was so eloquently trashing him for “ducking” Margarito, he was ignoring the point he’d made moments earlier about the Tijuana Tornado’s reticence to face Clottey again because he wasn’t the most lucrative option out there.

If Floyd takes him up on the offer to return… I hope he’s got his crow seasonings ready.
Margarito is ducking the Paul Williams rematch, turns down career high payday!

By Mark Vester

Dan Goossen, promoter for WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams, has sent a hefty offer to Bob Arum of Top Rank for a 2009 unification rematch with WBA champion Antonio Margarito. Williams won a close decision over Margarito last year.

Arum has mentioned several opponents for Margarito's next fight, but Williams is not one them. The reason given by Arum is the bad blood with Williams' advisor, Al Haymon. Goossen told boxing scribe Tim Smith that he sent Arum an offer for the rematch last week and has yet to hear back from anyone in Top Rank. Margarito's purse for the first Williams bout is still the highest of his career, $1.6 million to $1.5 for what he made against Miguel Cotto

"I sent Bob and offer sheet for a $4 million guarantee for the rematch in the first quarter of 2009 against 50% of the revenue," Goossen said. "If he rejected any part of the agreement he could flip it and I'll accept the same terms."

Arum told several outlets that he wanted to match Margarito against the winner of Joshua Clottey-Zab Judah, which Clottey won to capture the IBF welterweight title. Goossen told Smith that a fight against either is not good for the sport.

"It certainly does make things easier for him, but it does nothing good for the sport," said Dan Goossen, Williams' promoter. "It's his prerogative. But we shouldn't let our personal greed dictate the sport. Paul Williams can certainly fight someone else on HBO, but it won't be as lucrative and it won't be as big a match for the fans."

If Williams is unable to land Margarito, Goossen says that he will probably get his mandatory defense out the way by facing Michael Jennings.

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ [email protected]

So while Margarito is running around ducking everyone out there the Margy lovers/Floyd haters take the time to try to say a guy who retired and isn't even active is ducking Marga freakin rito! LMAO at all who vote yes.

1. No offer has been made by team Margarito to Floyd.

2. There's NO way team Margarito can offer Floyd more money than a potential fight with Oscar or Hatton would net him.

3. How is that ducking?

Retired boxers can not duck anyone. Active boxers (Margarito) who turn down a career high payday and an opportunity to avenge a loss to Williams, which would practically unify the welterweight division are ducks. Funny how this got turned right on its head.
Margarito is the only one doing any ducking.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts