Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stand at 5'10 tall at a bodyweight of 77kg. I have been working out with weights for approx. 5 years while also cycling and playing football.

Now I really do have a concern. I have built some muscle mass on my frame...but a lot of this muscle mass is concentrated in my legs (quadriceps mainly) so here comes my question...

Does this weight put me in a disadvantage by putting me in a weight class with other boxers that may have thinner legs BUT more powerful and bulky upper bodies? Should I stop training my legs and focus my attention on my upper body or is it ok to have solid powerful leg muscles? Thanks for your help guys!

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I think it's better to focus on building strength for your upper body while training your legs for speed. If you have too much muscle mass on your legs they might feel heavy in the ring. But if you're an inside fighter and like to throw big punches then leg strength will definitely help.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Leg strength is good, but you need a bit of balance between the upper and lower body.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I stand at 5'10 tall at a bodyweight of 77kg. I have been working out with weights for approx. 5 years while also cycling and playing football.

Now I really do have a concern. I have built some muscle mass on my frame...but a lot of this muscle mass is concentrated in my legs (quadriceps mainly) so here comes my question...

Does this weight put me in a disadvantage by putting me in a weight class with other boxers that may have thinner legs BUT more powerful and bulky upper bodies? Should I stop training my legs and focus my attention on my upper body or is it ok to have solid powerful leg muscles? Thanks for your help guys!
First of you said you cycle and play football , but what now are you getting into boxing?, if so then the answer is ovious you have to work on upper body strenth, I recomend pull ups over hand and under hand , dips, puhsups and weight curls lots of them, but continue your cycling, nothing like good legs to get you out of trouble just in case your boxing abilities are not that good , good luck....

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Muscle needs more oxygen to breath, you'll need to train twice as hard to not get winded. Since you're training your legs, you'll have more power, but your legs will get heavier and you won't be able to move. Same with upper body muscle, don't go for mass, for for toning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts