Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is The Heavyweight Division Really in Worse Shape Then it was Six Years ago?? I think Lennox Lewis's Era (if you care to call it that) was the start of this downward spiral. I was hoping Vitali would save us and be the best champ since Holyfield but that just wasn't meant to be. Lennox fought nobodies in a division that I believe was noticeably worse than todays Heavyweights. Michael Grant a number one contender? Give me today's Sam Peter any day. Any thoughts on the division now compared to Lewis' '99 to 2003 reign of mediocrity?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Heavies at least had a Lennox Lewis 6 years ago. Lewis would and could still wape the walls with anyone today. Wlad is good and all, he would not last 5 rounds with Lewis.

The HW Division, has just sucked for a while.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think a Wlad Lennox fight would have been great! Much better than a Vitali Lewis rematch. I don't see that as being as competetive, Lennox would have been dropped in the second half. But against Wlad they have the same skills and the same weakness. Both are strong, technical, and very weak in the chin and recovery department. That combo makes for all the Drama!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also see Lennox having a much harder time wth todays Champions. He was very lucky to have fought when he did. Peter would have knocked him into the stoneage, I think. Wlad if anything has a better chin than Lennox. At least he gets up. When Lennox gets cracked, goodnight nurse.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
stonage i dont think so, wlad jabed peters head off all night what would lewis have done to him ill tel you he would have khtfo, lewis is worth 10 of any todays hw and an all time great!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Iv'e already mentioned my opinion about this in other articles but I see Lewis having a real tough time with today's heavies. They're a lot harder now then we he was defending the titles against Grant, Botha and a shot Tyson who would let McBride serve his head up on a platter. I think Lennox's glass chin would have been shattered by a few of these guys today. Great Boxer, lnot so great Champion. Solid contender in any other era though. If Rahman can knock you out cold then can you really call yourself one of the all-time greats? Maybe Maskaev should have been given a title shot against him back in the day. He could have gotten the belt four or five years earlier.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the heavyweight pool is full of lackluster young fighters and fading over-their-prime (and promise) fighters and it has been that way for years. If there was one half-decent heavyweight, he'd unify the title and reign for at least 2 years instead of this belt swapping garbage among so-so fighters. But it takes awhile to genetically engineer guys over 6'5" and 240 pounds from what the scientists tell me :dunno:

Hey, here's an idea! Put a sumo suit on Floyd Mayweather and let him skate around on the ropes and win by points! :D

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
The heavyweight division needs a great fighter, or a few, and fast. The heavyweights 1. Need to get into shape, 2. stop hugging eachother every 2 seconds, 3. They need to get rid of 5 of the belts so there is only 1 ( I know this is not the fighteres falts) 4. Need to stop taking drugs and stuff. and 5. Need to eat and train better... A lot better.

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
In all honesty... and it hurts me to say this... but the heavyweight division in boxing is just about STRENGTH... beating your opponent into a bloody pulp. There's hardly anymore "BOXING SKILL" in it anymore... Street Fighting maybe!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think when you're a Heavy in this era you show dominance by having skill and brute strength. Like Lennox Lewis or Wlad Klitchko. They have a nice combination that compliments itself well, unlike a James Toney or Same Peter that just have either the skill or the strength but not the full package. Wlad will turn out to be the same fighter as Lennox and have the same reign, I think. All you need is Manny Steward in your corner. He can round out the edges on a talent out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts