Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this day and age... are we still scared of the brawlers? You know... the one's that lack finesse in the ring... or the dancing ability of Ali... the speed of Ray Leonard and all of that... but they're so strong... so powerful... they just have to hit you a few times and BAM! You're out of there? Foreman would destroy much quicker, fitter and more skilled opponents because he would overpower them with his intensity... he hardly ever defended his own face or showed off anything special... brawlers... Foreman... Liston... and so on... had a basic style... DESTROY YOUR OPPONENT!

Years later... things have changed... we all know the best boxers are extremely skilled and they don't necessarily have to rely solely on strength to win... but is every still scared of "THE BRAWLERS" in spite of not being what boxers really should be? If this thread has confused you all: I Apologise:laugh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
I know one thing, a brawlers style will be more useful in a street fight. I feel sorry for the guy that might have gotten into a fight with Marciano, Foreman, Liston, Tyson, etc.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bill1234 said:
I know one thing, a brawlers style will be more useful in a street fight. I feel sorry for the guy that might have gotten into a fight with Marciano, Foreman, Liston, Tyson, etc.
It is a fate worse than death!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
LOL they probably regreted it after wards for the next few years at the damage they would take in. Marciano put Carmine Vingo into a coma, so imagine Marciano in a street fight! :eek:
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bill1234 said:
LOL they probably regreted it after wards for the next few years at the damage they would take in. Marciano put Carmine Vingo into a coma, so imagine Marciano in a street fight! :eek:
Damn... The Brawlers really were something in professional boxing... not the most skilled or athletic or best looking or the quickest or the fittest... but... the most feared! QUESTION: "Was Max Baer a brawler or something else???"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
He was a brawler that completely went all out. He knocked primo carnera down 11 times in 11 rounds! He killed a 2 people in the ring, one was a random jab that killed the guy the other guy was on the ropes and was pumled to death.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bill1234 said:
He was a brawler that completely went all out. He knocked primo carnera down 11 times in 11 rounds! He killed a 2 people in the ring, one was a random jab that killed the guy the other guy was on the ropes and was pumled to death.
I always liked Max Baer and despite the way he was portrayed by Craig Bierko in Cinderalla Man... I still like Max Baer!:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Same here, why did Craig Bierko make him look like a terrible man? That is just wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
bill1234 said:
Same here, why did Craig Bierko make him look like a terrible man? That is just wrong.
The movie took "artistic License" and did not portray exactly what happened at the time,Baer was a good guy in real life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Brawlers and Boxers will always be a part of boxing,I don't think we have more or less of them today as we did then. Styles make fights, and sometimes its the roll of the dice if you get a good boxer/brawler match up.A brawler vs brawler match up in the heavies usually means a holding fest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I love the brawlers. I think of some of the so called boxers would open up and let go we would have more entertaining fights. I also think if they did they may find something they did not have before like a set of balls. I think Foreman said that most sports are like drinking beer but sometimes we want some whiskey (boxing). Make mine Crown Royal?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Boxing is my favorite sport, and all in all it is the most diciplined... or it was.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Yep, Muhammad Ali was a boxer, Leonard was too. Marciano, Hagler, Duran, they were sluggers/brawlers.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top