Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking long and hard about this.

At times you've heard me defend Mike Tyson to the upmost extreme.

At times you've heard me really have a go at him for Ear Biting, The Crimes he Committed, the stuff he said and did to Lennox Lewis before their fight, the money he wasted... the list goes on!

You even once heard me say that I reckon he "Could've been the greatest boxer of all time"... and I even rated him in My Top 10 all time greatest Heavyweight Boxers!

Now... I'm not too sure where to put him... if he makes My Top 10... he'd be Number 10! I say he (in his prime) would beat Prime Lewis and Prime Holyfield... but now I'm not too sure! Maybe... Maybe not... anyways... my point is this...

Who were the most legitimate and toughest opponents that Mike Tyson beat during his prime in the 1980s???

We don't give a damn about Ferguson, Berbick, Smith, Tubbs, and Tucker. Some of those guys were Contenders and World Champions... but who cares? Who did they beat? Where were Holmes and Ali? Hardly anywhere really... the 80s Heavyweight Boxing Division was very splintered... in which you had an aging Larry Holes who was upset twice by Michael Spinks... a Weak-Chinned and Overrated Gerry Cooney... you didn't have much at all!

Along comes Mike Tyson... and destroys everybody... but the competition honestly wasn't very much!

Holmes hardly prepared for his fight with Tyson (through no fault of his own) and was past his prime... Spinks lost the fight with Tyson before the bell even rang (and he was overrated in the first place) and Frank Bruno had a Weak Chin and Poor Stamina.

So really... when you think long and hard about it... Mike Tyson didn't have much when it came to real serious competition during the 1980s.

I reckon all of the real great Heavyweight Boxers of the years beforehand... in their prime... including those who were probably slower and had weak/suspect chins... would've either really taken it to Tyson... or have knocked him out!:)

I've decided that Mike Tyson WAS AND IS overrated... and if you agree or disagree with what I have written today... please state your reasons as to why and your overall opinion of Mike Tyson as a Boxer!:D

In saying this... it's a damn shame that I can't change my name from White Tyson... because I really want to change it! HAVE A NICE DAY! :cheeky4:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
my views on mike will never change, i think he could have been the greatest HW in history if he had stayed with kevin rooney.tyson listened to atlas and then rooney but once king took over and he brought his own guys in mike stopped doing the basics in training and started to relie on his power and not his undoubted boxing skill's.

i have mike solidly in my top 10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
tommygunn said:
my views on mike will never change, i think he could have been the greatest HW in history if he had stayed with kevin rooney.tyson listened to atlas and then rooney but once king took over and he brought his own guys in mike stopped doing the basics in training and started to relie on his power and not his undoubted boxing skill's.

i have mike solidly in my top 10.
I think Tyson could of been alot more then he was.Tyson needed attention,the right kind of attention.As for his competition,most champions are way better then most of their opponents that is why they are the champion.Some say Ali had the best comp as a champion because many of his fights were close or some he lost or maybe should of lost.He had talent and was good ,but I'm not sure he was as good as his mouth,media,and fans proclaim.I think if Tyson kept his original crew he would of been champion for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
White Tyson said:
I've been thinking long and hard about this.

At times you've heard me defend Mike Tyson to the upmost extreme.

At times you've heard me really have a go at him for Ear Biting, The Crimes he Committed, the stuff he said and did to Lennox Lewis before their fight, the money he wasted... the list goes on!

You even once heard me say that I reckon he "Could've been the greatest boxer of all time"... and I even rated him in My Top 10 all time greatest Heavyweight Boxers!

Now... I'm not too sure where to put him... if he makes My Top 10... he'd be Number 10! I say he (in his prime) would beat Prime Lewis and Prime Holyfield... but now I'm not too sure! Maybe... Maybe not... anyways... my point is this...

Who were the most legitimate and toughest opponents that Mike Tyson beat during his prime in the 1980s???

We don't give a damn about Ferguson, Berbick, Smith, Tubbs, and Tucker. Some of those guys were Contenders and World Champions... but who cares? Who did they beat? Where were Holmes and Ali? Hardly anywhere really... the 80s Heavyweight Boxing Division was very splintered... in which you had an aging Larry Holes who was upset twice by Michael Spinks... a Weak-Chinned and Overrated Gerry Cooney... you didn't have much at all!

Along comes Mike Tyson... and destroys everybody... but the competition honestly wasn't very much!

Holmes hardly prepared for his fight with Tyson (through no fault of his own) and was past his prime... Spinks lost the fight with Tyson before the bell even rang (and he was overrated in the first place) and Frank Bruno had a Weak Chin and Poor Stamina.

So really... when you think long and hard about it... Mike Tyson didn't have much when it came to real serious competition during the 1980s.

I reckon all of the real great Heavyweight Boxers of the years beforehand... in their prime... including those who were probably slower and had weak/suspect chins... would've either really taken it to Tyson... or have knocked him out!:)

I've decided that Mike Tyson WAS AND IS overrated... and if you agree or disagree with what I have written today... please state your reasons as to why and your overall opinion of Mike Tyson as a Boxer!:D

In saying this... it's a damn shame that I can't change my name from White Tyson... because I really want to change it! HAVE A NICE DAY! :cheeky4:
:thumbsdown: I always said with out cuss Damato,and Mike Tyson runs into a decent boxer who knows how to work that jab would lose.I won 100 dollars on that fight when Buster Douglas put them hands on him in Tokyo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
lazabrien9 said:
:thumbsdown: I always said with out cuss Damato,and Mike Tyson runs into a decent boxer who knows how to work that jab would lose.I won 100 dollars on that fight when Buster Douglas put them hands on him in Tokyo.
All the things Tyson was doing besides training and taking boxing seriously is what lost that fight for him. Look at how little head movement he had in the fight. Thats what made him so dangerous. Head movement which gave him angles. He was also very flat footed also due to lack of training. That fight was where his loss of desire to fight got the best of him other wise Buster would have been another victim.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
I've been thinking long and hard about this.

At times you've heard me defend Mike Tyson to the upmost extreme.

At times you've heard me really have a go at him for Ear Biting, The Crimes he Committed, the stuff he said and did to Lennox Lewis before their fight, the money he wasted... the list goes on!

You even once heard me say that I reckon he "Could've been the greatest boxer of all time"... and I even rated him in My Top 10 all time greatest Heavyweight Boxers!

Now... I'm not too sure where to put him... if he makes My Top 10... he'd be Number 10! I say he (in his prime) would beat Prime Lewis and Prime Holyfield... but now I'm not too sure! Maybe... Maybe not... anyways... my point is this...

Who were the most legitimate and toughest opponents that Mike Tyson beat during his prime in the 1980s???

We don't give a damn about Ferguson, Berbick, Smith, Tubbs, and Tucker. Some of those guys were Contenders and World Champions... but who cares? Who did they beat? Where were Holmes and Ali? Hardly anywhere really... the 80s Heavyweight Boxing Division was very splintered... in which you had an aging Larry Holes who was upset twice by Michael Spinks... a Weak-Chinned and Overrated Gerry Cooney... you didn't have much at all!

Along comes Mike Tyson... and destroys everybody... but the competition honestly wasn't very much!

Holmes hardly prepared for his fight with Tyson (through no fault of his own) and was past his prime... Spinks lost the fight with Tyson before the bell even rang (and he was overrated in the first place) and Frank Bruno had a Weak Chin and Poor Stamina.

So really... when you think long and hard about it... Mike Tyson didn't have much when it came to real serious competition during the 1980s.

I reckon all of the real great Heavyweight Boxers of the years beforehand... in their prime... including those who were probably slower and had weak/suspect chins... would've either really taken it to Tyson... or have knocked him out!:)

I've decided that Mike Tyson WAS AND IS overrated... and if you agree or disagree with what I have written today... please state your reasons as to why and your overall opinion of Mike Tyson as a Boxer!:D

In saying this... it's a damn shame that I can't change my name from White Tyson... because I really want to change it! HAVE A NICE DAY! :cheeky4:
:thumbsup: That is what Ive said all along. There are some minor flaws in that, but it is a great post.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Mike is and will always be in my top ten. I agree with much of what you said White Tyson, but he did what he had to do and did more than enough in my opinion. I only wish he would have been more focused/grounded in his approach to the fight game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Mike is and will always be in my top ten. I agree with much of what you said White Tyson, but he did what he had to do and did more than enough in my opinion. I only wish he would have been more focused/grounded in his approach to the fight game.
i couldnt agree with you more,he could have been something special.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top