Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who wins?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do you think wins and how? Please be detailed. This would take place at 168.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hate to do it because James Toney is one of my all time favorite fighters but styles make fights and i would have to take Calzaghe by decision.I think the use of Calzaghes unorthodox approach,legs,handspeed and volume of slaps would propel him to a close majority or split decision.James has always had trouble with handspeed and awkward styles even while in his prime.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Calzaghe throws a lot of slaps and could end up by decision......but at the same time, Calzaghe leaves himself too open for countershots. I can imagine Toney dropping Calzaghe with a good counter right to the jaw. Toney by TKO.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Toneys power even forces natural Heavyweights to respect him, Roy Jones beat Toney almost 100% because of his un-human foot speed and athleticism Toney was also weight drained, I pick Toney via Lights Out if the 3 knock-down rule is on

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Toney is very inconsistent but if he shows up he wins a close decision. Calzaghe's workrate would give him all kinds of trouble but Toney is very elusive and loves to capitalize on his opponents mistakes and Calzaghe leaves himself open when he's flurrying.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
At 168? Toney all the way. At any weight for that matter. He slips the slaps and counters with precise punches which make their mark en route to an easy decision.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
I voted for Calzaghe for one reason...speed kills Toney. I also voted for Calzaghe because the most likely outcome is him winning by UD. But if Toney lands the right hand....its LIGHTS OUT. This is a hard fight to judge but I give the slight nod to Cal. :thumbsup: An arguement can be made for both fighters though.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Toney is very inconsistent but if he shows up he wins a close decision. Calzaghe's workrate would give him all kinds of trouble but Toney is very elusive and loves to capitalize on his opponents mistakes and Calzaghe leaves himself open when he's flurrying.
GREAAAT point. I just don't think the judges will give Toney the credit he deserves since Calzaghe will land twice as much. I think if Calzaghe fights on the outside then Toney has no chance but if the fight takes place anywhere close on the inside then Calzaghe will get mauled. No way he takes right hands and body shots from Toney all-night long. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I voted for Calzaghe for one reason...speed kills Toney. I also voted for Calzaghe because the most likely outcome is him winning by UD. But if Toney lands the right hand....its LIGHTS OUT. This is a hard fight to judge but I give the slight nod to Cal. :thumbsup: An arguement can be made for both fighters though.
Not at all, Micheal Nunn had really fast hands and look at what happened.

That said, I'd pick Calzaghe, his awkard style and volume would give Toney alot of problems.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
calzaghe always has problems with a defensive fighter but then toney with speedy ones. toney is probably too slow to connect so much because you can read his punches where as clazaghe throws everything at awkward angles.

i would go for calzaghe in this one with a huge ud but each round close.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Not at all, Micheal Nunn had really fast hands and look at what happened.

That said, I'd pick Calzaghe, his awkard style and volume would give Toney alot of problems.
True but Toney KOed him while losing decisively on the cards. That would be similar if he fought Calzaghe. Calzaghe is more open than Nunn was but then again Calzaghe is alot quicker. The only way Toney wins is through KO or multiple knockdowns.

I knew it! Closet Calzaghe hugger!!!!

:cheeky4:
:laugh::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Damn... This fight goes a lot like the Nunn fight, but it ends earlier. People forget Calzaghe getting hit with a lot of clean lead rights against Robin Reid. Can't do that against Toney.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts