Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, according to a recent article on Daileybreeze.com, "Lights Out" is looking the best he's looked with regards to his weight since the Holyfield fight. Toney and his next opponent Hasim Rahman were in Sherman Oaks just before the weekend to attend a news conference to formally announce their July 16th rematch fight.. Apparently, Toney, now almost 40-years-of-age, looked "nearly as thin as he did in the Holyfield fight." This is good news.

James Toney Reportedly In "Best Condition Since Holyfield Fight"

A resurgence of James Toney? I would love to see it...a man with his skill and style is not only good for boxing but he could bring back the HW gold to the U.S...it could be just wishful thinking but hey...the day that james toney loves to train is here...could be possible...right?

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he gets past Rahman Haye will be waiting to give him some of his own "lights out" medicine.
Big Head Haye isn't going to knock out Toney LOL. Now if he wants to KO himself...he'll go in and swing those infamous hayemakers and miss and he'll easily be countered by one of the most powerful counterpunchers in the game today

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
nice to see him not talking smack and actually being positive. i don't like rahman and i didn;t like toney, but with their careers pretty much over, well the best of it, i kinda hope they do well and get mroe pay days.

i can't really judge who will win this. sometimes i just feel that they are different each fight. it depends on who shows up.

G

·
Big Head Haye isn't going to knock out Toney LOL. Now if he wants to KO himself...he'll go in and swing those infamous hayemakers and miss and he'll easily be countered by one of the most powerful counterpunchers in the game today
I know he won't knock him out. Haye will get the UD though. Haye will probably be wise enough to know he's not going to knock Tony out and fight smart. He learned his lesson with Carl Thompson.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice to see him not talking smack and actually being positive. i don't like rahman and i didn;t like toney, but with their careers pretty much over, well the best of it, i kinda hope they do well and get mroe pay days.

i can't really judge who will win this. sometimes i just feel that they are different each fight. it depends on who shows up.
I'm going with Toney just because of his slick philly shell and Rahman might be just a lil bit too easy to counter for toney. Just like Roy, when toney gets motivated he's pretty tough to beat...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i didn't see the fight vs rahman's last opponent. i think i remmeber someone saying rahman looked poor. almost like he was shot.

so perhaps he will lose since i doubt he can ko toney, especially if toney is actually enjoying training and being fit.

rahman is by no means an easy fight though. the guy is strong as hell.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Well, according to a recent article on Daileybreeze.com, "Lights Out" is looking the best he's looked with regards to his weight since the Holyfield fight. Toney and his next opponent Hasim Rahman were in Sherman Oaks just before the weekend to attend a news conference to formally announce their July 16th rematch fight.. Apparently, Toney, now almost 40-years-of-age, looked "nearly as thin as he did in the Holyfield fight." This is good news.

James Toney Reportedly In "Best Condition Since Holyfield Fight"

A resurgence of James Toney? I would love to see it...a man with his skill and style is not only good for boxing but he could bring back the HW gold to the U.S...it could be just wishful thinking but hey...the day that james toney loves to train is here...could be possible...right?
As much as I'd love to think so I can't.
I know he won't knock him out. Haye will get the UD though. Haye will probably be wise enough to know he's not going to knock Tony out and fight smart. He learned his lesson with Carl Thompson.
This is exactly why I want to see Haye-Toney. I'm really interested in Haye's future at heavy, and I hope he becomes the next big thing. What really interests me in a potential Haye-Toney fight is the fact that Haye will pretty much know that he won't be stopping Toney. I would be very interested in seeing how Haye performs in a fight that goes the distance against a decent quality opponent who can box back. Haye-Toney would be VERY telling to all interested in Haye. I want to see it badly.
i didn't see the fight vs rahman's last opponent. i think i remmeber someone saying rahman looked poor. almost like he was shot.

so perhaps he will lose since i doubt he can ko toney, especially if toney is actually enjoying training and being fit.

rahman is by no means an easy fight though. the guy is strong as hell.
Rahman looked lackluster against Lawrence who had more than ten losses I think.

G

·
As much as I'd love to think so I can't.

This is exactly why I want to see Haye-Toney. I'm really interested in Haye's future at heavy, and I hope he becomes the next big thing. What really interests me in a potential Haye-Toney fight is the fact that Haye will pretty much know that he won't be stopping Toney. I would be very interested in seeing how Haye performs in a fight that goes the distance against a decent quality opponent who can box back. Haye-Toney would be VERY telling to all interested in Haye. I want to see it badly.

Rahman looked lackluster against Lawrence who had more than ten losses I think.
That excites me too. That will the the big question mark...how will Haye plan to fight 12 hard rounds with a very good fighter. He pretty much goes all out for the KO in every fight and he's only been 12 rounds once. This will show us a different side to Haye. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
That excites me too. That will the the big question mark...how will Haye plan to fight 12 hard rounds with a very good fighter. He pretty much goes all out for the KO in every fight and he's only been 12 rounds once. This will show us a different side to Haye. I'm looking forward to it.
Good post. I agree completely. If Haye fights Toney and is able to box consistently for 12 I'll be sold on him. That is one of my few question marks regarding his time at heavy.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you bro. Even at this stage in Toney's career a clear UD from Haye will tell me a lot.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same here...I want to see Haye vs. Toney. I'm not a big fan of Toney...but I'm definitely a fan of his fighting style. It would be a great fight to watch.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I hope this is true. James is sorely lacking in the personality department, at least as far as being a nice guy, so I'm not the biggest fan of him as a person, but I've always loved the guy as a fighter. In his prime, and even after it, he was such a slick and savvy fighter with incredible infighting ability and was easily one of the best counterpunchers ever. It's worth noting that James for all those 70+ fights has never really been badly hurt. He didn't look very good against Peter in their second fight, but aside from that, for a guy who has been as active as he has for the last two decades, he's been incredibly consistent. I really hope he's got something left...mostly desire.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rahman just has to watch out for those counter rights that JT loves to throw. I think Rahman is going to get countered all day long.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just saw James Toney on BDSP on Fox Sports....he looks in AMAZING shape. He hasn't looked that thin in years...and he's as thin as when he fought Holyfield...crazy...

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FOX Sports Video on MSN

Look for the James Toney interview....you can tell by his face he looks thinner even though the one I saw tonight he was out in the parking lot with just swimming trunks on or something talking junk to Rahman LOL

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think Rahman won the first fight and i think he will win the second one. Toney was never that good, i admit he was a decent fighter in his prime but he wont make any waves in todays hw division, the guy wont train hes lazy and fat!! And thats the reason he never won and never will winn a hw title.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts