Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The true Guru
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carl Froch's promoter is keen for the newly crowned world champion to take on Jermain Taylor in his first defence.

Froch claimed the WBC super-middleweight title with a unanimous decision over Jean Pascal in Nottingham on Saturday night.

Taylor, the former undisputed middleweight king, is the WBC's mandatory challenger, although promoter **** Hennessy believes the American is less than keen on sharing a ring with Froch.

"Jermain Taylor has bottled it before," said Hennessy.

"He had a straight shot at Carl but he went into an eliminator against (Jeff) Lacy instead, which was a ridiculous backward step.

"He's now Carl's mandatory challenger but it looks like he's already looking for the exit signs.

"He's already looking to fight (IBF champion) Lucien Bute in his next fight instead, because Bute looked vulnerable in his last fight.

"Carl's the most exciting fighter in world boxing and he didn't have to take risks like that. What he's done tonight is going to make him a marquee star because not only did he beat a brilliant challenger, he beat him in style."

Froch's ultimate long-term ambition remains an open-air showdown at the City Ground, home of his beloved Nottingham Forest, but first he will tentatively plan a first defence in March or April provided his injuries heal.

The 31-year-old needed stitches to his left eye and both fists after a brutal 12 rounds with Pascal, and afterwards revealed he had also suffered a perforated eardrum and a cracked rib in the fight build-up.

G

·
Nonsense. If the best fight out there for Taylor is Frosh, he'll be there. He fought Hopkins when he hadn't lost in a decade, he then gave him a rematch. He then gave his mandatory (Pavlik) and shot and when Taylor got KO'd, he jumped at the chance to avenge his loss, in a non title fight. Taylor isn't ducking Froch, Froch is just looking to make a name for himself. He should be careful what he wishes for because Taylor looked very good against Lacy.

·
The true Guru
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i agree with you that taylor isnt ducking Froch,
HBO wasnt willing to pay for Froch as hes unknown in the US,
they was for Lacy and thats why that fight happened,

Taylor v Froch surely will happen now

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
imo froch faces kessler or taylor he loses his belt. defend it against a few bums and get paid and then fight taylor for big money unifying the belts.

secondly froch has always been pretty much a person who gasses out. he doesn't seem to be able to run that long from seeing clips of him. against any good fighter he will lose the last rounds

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Can't believe this guy said Taylor is ducking Froch for Bute, LOL. Bute clowns Froch, Taylor is going after the real competition :laugh:. He can fight Froch later, let him become more credible. His victory over Pascal was far from decisive. Or Taylor might go right ahead and fight Froch anyways. It could be a better idea since even after Taylor beats Bute, Andrade prolly becomes an immediate mandatory. And Andrade would be too reminiscent of a Pavlik fight for Taylor to want to make happen so soon.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Come on man. Froch would get embaraced by Taylor.

If hes looking for Bute you can bet its a much tougher fight than Froch is.

Bute beats Froch, Taylor beat Froch. I think Bika would give Froch hell

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Froch should fight Bika. The winner of that fight vaults themself into legit contender status.
My money is on Bika there. If they want that fight to happen in Europe, they need to import all American judges otherwise Bika will be robbed. Since Bika is not even American that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
My money is on Bika there. If they want that fight to happen in Europe, they need to import all American judges otherwise Bika will be robbed. Since Bika is not even American that shouldn't be a problem.
i havent seen the fight but as fare as i am ware the rounds were very close but froch had the edge in each?

G

·
I agree. I was at the Bika-Manfredo fight and I was sitting right next to the alley where the fighters walk out. Bika's size is truly impressive. He is so physically gifted. If his boxing skills can get to that level as well, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

G

·
Froch won that fight clearly, it's not really up for argument. The scores were too wide but at the end of the day the right man won the fight.

There isn't one credible reason for Taylor to be scared of Froch when you look at his resume, he's gave Hopkins a rematch and he's took a rematch against Pavlik (without a tune-up) 5 months after being brutally knocked out. Froch showed a very good chin against Pascall so I don't think Taylor would stop him, but he'd win pretty wide on the cards.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Watching the fight from a quality non-choppy download, I scored it for those who have not seen it.

Pascal won rounds 1, 2, 4, 5, and 8. With 9 on the table as a possible draw. I gave Froch the benefit of the doubt, so my final score is 7-5 for Froch. Pascal gassed. Anyone giving rounds 1,2,4, and 5 to Froch need to learn how to score fights.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Watching the fight from a quality non-choppy download, I scored it for those who have not seen it.

Pascal won rounds 1, 2, 4, 5, and 8. With 9 on the table as a possible draw. I gave Froch the benefit of the doubt, so my final score is 7-5 for Froch. Pascal gassed. Anyone giving rounds 1,2,4, and 5 to Froch need to learn how to score fights.
where did you get the fight? i missed it. if its megupload i dotn have codec so cant see but anywhere i will try. thanks

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
You say that, but last night an American judge scored the Froch fight 118-110. So it don't make much difference.

i havent seen the fight but as fare as i am ware the rounds were very close but froch had the edge in each?
Close for 8, then Froch pulled away.

It was a close fight, the scorecards weren't. Froch got the benefits of the doubt in each round and then some.
I had it 116-112 Froch.

Froch won that fight clearly, it's not really up for argument. The scores were too wide but at the end of the day the right man won the fight.

There isn't one credible reason for Taylor to be scared of Froch when you look at his resume, he's gave Hopkins a rematch and he's took a rematch against Pavlik (without a tune-up) 5 months after being brutally knocked out. Froch showed a very good chin against Pascall so I don't think Taylor would stop him, but he'd win pretty wide on the cards.
Agreed man.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts