Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor (27-2, 17KOs) is ready to resume his career, with "Contender" star Brian Vera (16-1, 10KOs) as the most likely opponent of choice.

Promoter Lou DiBella has been negotiating with Don King to match Taylor in catch-weight bouts with either Felix Trinidad or Ricard Mayorga. Trinidad was last seen at 170-pounds, losing a decision to Roy Jones Jr in January. Mayorga was last seen in action last November, when he moved up to 166-pounds to beat Fernando Vargas. Neither fighter took the bait.

Trinidad recently turned down a possible fight with Taylor, while Mayorga is focused on moving back down to a more natural weight like 154 or 147. Taylor, who last fought against Kelly Pavlik at a catch-weight of 166, will campaign at the super middleweight limit of 168.

After two tough fights with Pavlik, DiBella says Taylor has earned the right to take an easier fight. Vera is said to be very interested in the opportunity. He recently upset previously undefeated middleweight prospect Andy Lee. Lee was regarded as one of the best prospects in the sport, and Vera, a huge underdog in the fight, came from behind to stop him in seven. Vera's sole loss was by second-round knockout to Jaidon Codrington during the most recent Contender series.

·
Registered
808 Posts
This fight is fine with me Jermain just needs to get back in the ring , he can worry about getting another big fight later he just needs to stay active.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Good for jermaine with staying busy, nothing wrong with taking a small fight to get himself going. Hes still young and can afford it and he wont end up like Winky just not being able to find fights.

P.s: I think Taylor will stop him. Vera can take a punch but Vera has no defense and Taylor will land at will and no one in this weight range can take unlimited shots in the head by Taylor cause the kid can punch.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Taylor is having a party at a club in Hot Springs , Ar next weekend. I'm thinking about going up there it's only about 70 miles from where i stay.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I've kicked it with JT before. He's a cool ass dude man. Real approachable. My boy Kam has known him for years, so I got to meet him and kick it. You should go man.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah i think i'm going to , this is like the 4th party he has had there but i didn't go to the others i think i'm gonna go kick it this time. I had a friend that met him at a razorback game and Jermain was tailgating and invited him over to hangout before the game.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I agree. I'm cool with this fight as well. Vera earned it by beating that bum.
I agree. I got no problem seeing Taylor face Vera. Taylor has been fighting big names for the less couple of years. And Vera did indeed earn himself a nice paycheck when he beat that fraud Andy Lee

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This fight is what is. A confidence builder. It'll be fun while it lasts.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kessler vs Taylor is a fight id like to see early next year. One of them needs to grab a title first.

Both could beat Bute right now.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
smart choice for jt i see him stopping vera early though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Kessler vs Taylor is a fight id like to see early next year. One of them needs to grab a title first.

Both could beat Bute right now.
pavlik/kessler and taylor/miranda are the fights i would like to see.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts