Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm actually starting to lean towards Nate in this fight. I've been talking to him daily, and he's confident as hell. He says he's going to throw Guzman around and frustrate him to death.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I might sin and put something on Campbell those are extremely good odds for someone that outworked Juan Diaz.
It's no sin. Campbell looked the best he ever has against Diaz and for as much as people hold Diaz in high regard, they seem to be forgetting how handily Nate destroyed him.

Yeah I'm actually starting to lean towards Nate in this fight. I've been talking to him daily, and he's confident as hell. He says he's going to throw Guzman around and frustrate him to death.
That's awesome that you get to talk to him regularly. I emailed him once after reading one of his posts on maxboxing.com. He was definitely a cool dude. He has every reason to be confident. I know Guzman will be running from him a lot and will do his damnedest to frustrate the hell out of him, but I think Nate, being the bigger guy, does have a shot to walk him down and make him pay. I hope the result is a mirror image to Margarito/Cotto. The only difference being that I like Cotto and that I can't stand Guzman, so I hope he gets beat up even worse.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Nate is one of the coolest pros I've ever spoken to. He's nothing like I had imagined which kind of restored my faith in boxers outside of the ring after meeting Whitaker.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
It's no sin. Campbell looked the best he ever has against Diaz and for as much as people hold Diaz in high regard, they seem to be forgetting how handily Nate destroyed him.

That's awesome that you get to talk to him regularly. I emailed him once after reading one of his posts on maxboxing.com. He was definitely a cool dude. He has every reason to be confident. I know Guzman will be running from him a lot and will do his damnedest to frustrate the hell out of him, but I think Nate, being the bigger guy, does have a shot to walk him down and make him pay. I hope the result is a mirror image to Margarito/Cotto. The only difference being that I like Cotto and that I can't stand Guzman, so I hope he gets beat up even worse.
If your Dominican it is. Campbell is brushed off because dumbasses focus on past losses to a point where they only take that into account and not the fact that styles make fights.

If you dislike Guzman then you probably only seen the Soto fight or you don't like slick, fast, boxers that brawl from time to time or are a scared Pacquiao fan. There is a possibility Campbell could outwork him if he can get set to throw his punches. If he's planning to knock him out he's assed out cause Guzman has been facing hard punchers and has taken hard punches at 130 (especially to the body). So if he expects to slow him down alot or knock him out, he will get countered alot and lose.
I'll just say that Pernell is a grade A asshole to the fullest extent. He's like this towards all of his fans unless they provide him with a night full of alcohol or weed.
Some details would be good and maybe a line of coke would have done just as good for Pernell.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'll just say that Pernell is a grade A asshole to the fullest extent. He's like this towards all of his fans unless they provide him with a night full of alcohol or weed.
Damn, I never would've guessed. How did you go about talking to/meeting him? What's he even doing these days?

If you dislike Guzman then you probably only seen the Soto fight or you don't like slick, fast, boxers that brawl from time to time or are a scared Pacquiao fan. There is a possibility Campbell could outwork him if he can get set to throw his punches.
I don't like Guzman, but I appreciate his gifts. I have seen more than just the Soto fight, although that one is the fresh one in my mind's eye and I still have a bad taste in my mouth as a result of it. The only other one that comes to mind is where he went up against Jorge Barrios and just barely got past him with a split decision thanks to Barrios losing a point for low blows. Campbell is a much better fighter than Barrios and I like Barrios a lot. I've never claimed it would be a walk in the park for Nate, but I'm going with my heart mostly on this one and my head just a bit to make sure I'm not getting too carried away.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Damn, I never would've guessed. How did you go about talking to/meeting him? What's he even doing these days?

I don't like Guzman, but I appreciate his gifts. I have seen more than just the Soto fight, although that one is the fresh one in my mind's eye and I still have a bad taste in my mouth as a result of it. The only other one that comes to mind is where he went up against Jorge Barrios and just barely got past him with a split decision thanks to Barrios losing a point for low blows. Campbell is a much better fighter than Barrios and I like Barrios a lot. I've never claimed it would be a walk in the park for Nate, but I'm going with my heart mostly on this one and my head just a bit to make sure I'm not getting too carried away.
If you've seen the Barrios fight, you would have seen Guzman going toe to toe throwing bombs in the first rounds (hurting him a couple times) and from time to time after it. I havent heard 1 person (except you) not say that, that split decision wasn't bogus and way too close, Guzman took at the very least 8 rounds in that fight.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your Dominican it is. Campbell is brushed off because dumbasses focus on past losses to a point where they only take that into account and not the fact that styles make fights.

If you dislike Guzman then you probably only seen the Soto fight or you don't like slick, fast, boxers that brawl from time to time or are a scared Pacquiao fan. There is a possibility Campbell could outwork him if he can get set to throw his punches. If he's planning to knock him out he's assed out cause Guzman has been facing hard punchers and has taken hard punches at 130 (especially to the body). So if he expects to slow him down alot or knock him out, he will get countered alot and lose.

Some details would be good and maybe a line of coke would have done just as good for Pernell.
Met him at HOF a few years back at Graziano's bar. We were taking pictures with all of the boxers that were there. I went up to P and he was cool at first, talking and shitt, but I asked him to if he'd take a picture and he said he would if I bought him a beer or two. Got two beers and brought him one. He took it and asked if I still wanted the picture. I said yeah whenever, and he said let's get it over with. The next day I saw him again and he said, "what's up my man?" I was like WTF. He acted like nothing happened, so maybe he's just like that all the time. I know a few guys on another board and each one of them said he was rude as hell when they approached him. All the other boxers were cool as shitt. :dunno:

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Met him at HOF a few years back at Graziano's bar. We were taking pictures with all of the boxers that were there. I went up to P and he was cool at first, talking and shitt, but I asked him to if he'd take a picture and he said he would if I bought him a beer or two. Got two beers and brought him one. He took it and asked if I still wanted the picture. I said yeah whenever, and he said let's get it over with. The next day I saw him again and he said, "what's up my man?" I was like WTF. He acted like nothing happened, so maybe he's just like that all the time. I know a few guys on another board and each one of them said he was rude as hell when they approached him. All the other boxers were cool as shitt. :dunno:
I didn't really understand the situation, if you got to take the picture with him or not if you waited til the next day and he wanted another beer. Anyway that's messed up if he couldnt remember you from the night before when you brought him a beer, its not like he is still boxing and meets hundreds of people everyday. Who wouldve known one of the or THE best defensive fighter ever would be the one with the fukked up memory.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't really understand the situation, if you got to take the picture with him or not if you waited til the next day and he wanted another beer. Anyway that's messed up if he couldnt remember you from the night before when you brought him a beer, its not like he is still boxing and meets hundreds of people everyday. Who wouldve known one of the or THE best defensive fighter ever would be the one with the fukked up memory.
The consensus is that he's just an ass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts