Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

World champion Joe Calzaghe is now a free agent who will promote himself under his own promotional banner. Calzageh has revealed to Michael Pearlman that he dumped lontime promoter Frank Warren and is targeting Roy Jones Jr. for his next fight. Calzaghe has been promoted by Warren for twelve-years.

TWO-WEIGHT world boxing champion Joe Calzaghe has ended his association with promoter Frank Warren and will now promote himself, the Argus can exclusively reveal.

"There has been a lot of speculation about my future. At this time I want to set the record straight and end that speculation," Calzaghe said. "I am now a free agent with no contract and intend to be self-managed from now on. I am the only person who can make negotiations for my next fight. Regarding that fight, I am not in negotiations with Kelly Pavlik, despite reports to the contrary.

"My intention is to fight Roy Jones Jr, a four-weight world champion fighter. That would be a special event for me against a legend of the sport. There are issues to be resolved with my former promoter Frank Warren and I hope they can be done so amicably."

The paper did not state what the problem is, but insiders suggest that Calzaghe is owed money from April's split-decision win over Bernard Hopkins and an internal battle has been going on for the last couple of weeks with Warren hanging the money over Joe's head in order to get him to resign a promotional deal.

Amir Khan's contract was also up last week, but he appears to be close to a new promotional agreement with Warren

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Good for you Joe.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Fwank would lose his two cash cows in a week, that'd be great. LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
great stuff for calz. even though frank does get fights done domestically, i am happy that joe can make even more money for himself.

well i do feel frank has done an ok job getting him this far, but by not paying him for the bernard fight to try and get him to resign a contract is very sly indeed.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Its about 5 years too late...
Il put my backing in Joe always but Warren can only get you through the domestic scene ok but when it comes to dealing on a world stage he and his fighters get left behind.

The fight between Joe and Hop was Warren's 1st dealing with Goldenboy, im sure if he was the big thing to boxing which he thinks he is, he would have dealt with Goldenboy Promotions before.

I agree Leedslad this is 5 years too late but as they say better late then never...

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
If Calzaghe had done this 7 or 8 years ago he would now be an ATG IMO. Warren would never get him the fights, Calzaghe would fight anyone most of the time but Warren is incapable of providing his fighters with risky fights. See Hatton, left Warren to come to America and get the big fights. Calzaghe, not fought enough great fighters, Khan, never fought anyone good and probably won't until he leaves Warren. The man's a joke. Good to see Joe stand up for himself :thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
If Calzaghe had done this 7 or 8 years ago he would now be an ATG IMO. Warren would never get him the fights, Calzaghe would fight anyone most of the time but Warren is incapable of providing his fighters with risky fights. See Hatton, left Warren to come to America and get the big fights. Calzaghe, not fought enough great fighters, Khan, never fought anyone good and probably won't until he leaves Warren. The man's a joke. Good to see Joe stand up for himself :thumbsup:
To be fair to Frank he got Ricky the Kostya fight. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Calzaghe splits with Warren (who wanted to make the Pavlik fight) and chases the big money against Roy. I don't see anything wrong with that so I don't wanna hear anyone criticizing Floyd for splitting with Arum (who wanted to make the Margarito fight) and chasing the big money against Oscar.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Calzaghe splits with Warren (who wanted to make the Pavlik fight) and chases the big money against Roy. I don't see anything wrong with that so I don't wanna hear anyone criticizing Floyd for splitting with Arum (who wanted to make the Margarito fight) and chasing the big money against Oscar.
Good point :thumbsup:

I do honestly think Roy will be more trouble for Joe though than Oscar for Floyd.

Plus, I think Joe will probably face Pavlik after Roy.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i agree although i think joe will fight pavlik after, if the money is right. especially since he will promote himself :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Good point :thumbsup:

I do honestly think Roy will be more trouble for Joe though than Oscar for Floyd.

Plus, I think Joe will probably face Pavlik after Roy.
Better late than never, depending on how and if he wins against Jones maybe he can squeez a few more paydays in bettween and walk away loaded....

G

·
To be fair to Frank he got Ricky the Kostya fight. :thumbsup:
He did indeed. But he fukked him around and Ricky gave him an ultamatum. Ricky was sick with Warren not getting him a big world title fight so he stood his ground. It should have came long before it did.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts