Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Joe Calzaghe, who last Saturday decisioned recognized light heavyweight champ Bernard Hopkins, is calling himself the legend killer. Calzaghe's victory will probably send Hopkins, 43, into retirement, but the Welsh fighter is not that far behind. He would like to fight one more time, hopefully against Roy Jones Jr, and then retire undefeated.

"I'm going to fight one more time and it's going to have to be a big fight -- a super-fight," Calzaghe told BBC TV. "Call me a legend killer. I've taken care of a so-called legend in Hopkins and hopefully Roy Jones as well."

The split-points win over Hopkins was close. Calzaghe, 36, has a few opponents in mund, but ruled out any possibility of a Hopkins rematch.

"His style doesn't gel into an exciting fight, so of course I won't give him a rematch," said Calzaghe. "Why should I? It was pretty close, but I felt I won the fight. All that's left is one more fight and that could be either Roy Jones or Kelly Pavlik."

If Calzaghe decides to go with WBC/WBO middleweight champ Pavlik, he would have to move back to super middleweight because it's unlikely that Pavlik will meet him at 175. There is also no guarantee that Pavlik is willing to take the fight in Wales. Jones says a bout with Calzaghe, in Wales, is the only thing he wants to do. There has been talk that proposed bout with Jones is being eyed for November 15 at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff.

"That's all I want to do next, nothing else but that," Jones said. "Joe's saying that this is going to be his last year so maybe we should make it quicker than November. But both the countries want to show the fight so I think we should agree to two fights, one over in his country and one in mine."

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Calzaghe may opt for a Pavlik fight if he has to go to US for Jones as well. I thought the hometown advantage would mean he would fight Roy over Pavlik.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
pavlik would provide a much easier obstacle for calzaghe than jones imo. kelly would press the fight, but if taylor can limit pavlik' connects wih a little movement imagine what a jitterbug like calzaghe would do?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoever it is will be coming over here anyway, its Calzaghes last fight and he'll want it infront of him fans to say goodbye.

I think it'll be Roy in November, another legend will be ended. :)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris Eubanks a legend?
The only legend JC has beat was a washed up Hopkins.
Yes, Chris Eubank is a legend. "washed up", haters never learn. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm a hater right? Common man I got nothing against your boy, but he at least needs to beat more washed up hall of famers before you knight him the Legend Killer.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hopkins is not washed up, man. if that were the case then calzaghe would've tko'd him.
Well said, Hopkins just beat Winky Wright in the same fasion, washed up fighters dont beat winky.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a hater right? Common man I got nothing against your boy, but he at least needs to beat more washed up hall of famers before you knight him the Legend Killer.
Your hater making coments like Nard is washed up.

Thats not a coment infact, thats an excuse.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hopkins is past his best but far from washed up.. he would beat any other 175lber out there IMO. Nobody else would set the pace Calzaghe did for Hopkins to tire out late.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
He's not the same fighter he was two years ago. Age finally caught up with him.
he's not the fighter he was a couple of years ago, but i still wouldn't say he's washed up. hopkins still beats some credible fighters out there if he chooses to fight on. i think he should retire, and focus on his gbp duties.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
hopkins is not washed up, man. if that were the case then calzaghe would've tko'd him.
Even a washed up Bernard wouldn't get TKO'd by Calzaghe. He doesnt punch hard enough. PLus, how many people have TKO'd Hopkins...ever?

I completely agree withthe "legend Killer" statement. He narrowly decisioned Hopkins and has never "killed a legend" In fact, he's only fought one.

Chris Eubank a legend? LOL These brits are funny

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A year can make a big difference for a professional athlete, especially a boxer.
It obviously didn't though because he never looked like a washed up fighter, washed up fighters dont hang with the legend killer.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts