• Joe

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • Bernard

Votes: 17 29.3%
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Reigning WBC/WBA/WBO super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe (44-0, 32 KOs) won a twelve round split decision over 43-year-old Bernard Hopkins (48-4-21, 32 KOs) in an ugly light heavyweight clash on Saturday night at the Thomas & Mack Arena in Las Vegas. Hopkins got off to a great start by dropping Calzaghe with a straight right in round one. Calzaghe wasn't badly hurt, however. Hopkins mostly threw one punch as a time and often initiated clinches to prevent Calzaghe from punching in combinations. The first half of the fight had lots of hitting and holding, but Calzaghe slowly began to figure Hopkins out somewhat, landing flurries of short quick punches. Calzaghe was the aggressor and the overall punch volume was heavily in his favor. Hopkins scored the knockdown and landed the harder punches. Scores were 115-112, 116-111 Calzaghe, 114-113 Hopkins. After the bout, Hopkins claimed victory]

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
lol man, it could happen because after watching Kessler-Calzaghe again i think Joe makes mistakes which Hopkins will capatilize on. Calzaghe will win anyways, but maybe closer than i first predicted;)

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
lol! starting to see things my way, huh? cal may win, but i think it'll be toughest fight by far.

i recall reading an article on maxboxing where schaefer stated that vegas was the front-runner as far as the venue goes. it would nice if it were at yankee stadium. i may have to make the trip;)

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Still not quite seeing it your way;) Calzaghe does get careless at time and will be punished by B-Hop, but after hes calm down he'll be back to get things done:thumbsup:

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
but, like tom said he tends to get careless at times. you know hopkins has studied this, and there's a reason why he WANTS this fight;) he obviously has scene a few things he feels he can capitalize on. thing is, if calzaghe is busy enough he can get out to a big lead, but he'll start to tire late most likely. cue the hopkins late surge and the stage is set for a dramatic finish.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
calzaghe's carelessness works for him, he hasnt gotten where he is at by fighting carefull, he takes risk, and it pays off.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well.................I got nothing haha.

He'll be a little more cautious which is understandable but I think his best chance would be to sell out for 12 rounds. I doubt hopkins can knock him out.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
but, like tom said he tends to get careless at times. you know hopkins has studied this, and there's a reason why he WANTS this fight;) he obviously has scene a few things he feels he can capitalize on. thing is, if calzaghe is busy enough he can get out to a big lead, but he'll start to tire late most likely. cue the hopkins late surge and the stage is set for a dramatic finish.
I doubt very much Calzaghe will fade, he is one of the best conditioned fighter's EVER probably. Not many guys can fight non-stop for 12 rounds, throw over a 1000 punches like he does. This fight should be at an even slower pace than hes used too, so i think he'll come on in the later rounds if anyone does.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
nah, we're definately not going to see any kind of ko. maybe we'll see some "stunners", but that's about it.
As SRL said abit ago.. "If there was a nuclear war three things would survive; Cockroaches, Oliver McCall and Joe Calzaghe":cheeky4: Hopkins has a very good chin coupled with very good defense, i doubt we'll see a KO.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts