Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm back and will be able to cover the fight. My grandfather is much better. Thanks for your support guys.

Kessler is on his way to the ring. Fight starts in approximately 8 minutes.

Calzaghe is now on his way into the ring. The crowd goes crazy! Joe is wearing green gloves and black trunks I believe.

Both fighters look relaxed and ready to rumble.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 1...

Kessler is wearing red and white. Calzaghe is wearing his usual black with white trunks. Let's get ready to rumble.

Both boxers are feeling each other out early. The first minute is up in the air with neither guy doing too much. The second minute is tough to call, but Calzaghe landed more shots. Calzaghe is staying at a safe distance away from Kessler's punches. The third minute goes to Calzaghe due to his body punches. Neiter guy really landed anything of significance. This fight will be won by the better jab.

Calzaghe 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 2...

Calzaghe seems to be clowning around too much in my opinion early in round 2. Kessler looks good in the first minute. Kessler is landing his left jab fairly well. Calzaghe seems reluctant to throw. Kessler wins the second minute with two nice rights. Kessler is beginning to find his range. Nice right by Calzaghe. Calzaghe wins the third minute, but Kessler takes the round.

Kessler 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 3...

Kessler slips and falls early. No knock down. Calzaghe takes the first minute. Joe needs to chill out with the wild punches. I don't think Calzaghe can hurt Kessler. Joe wins the second minute. Nice left by Joe. Nice right by Joe. Calzaghe is landing at will. Calzaghe is stepping up the pace and clearly wins the third round.

Calzaghe 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 4...

So far Kessler's jab has not been as consistent as many assumed it would be. Kessler need to begin to keep Joe at bay with the jab or he might be in for a long night. Neither guy has landed any devastating shots, but Calzaghe seems to begin to get comfortable.

Calzaghe wins the first minute with a solid jab. Kessler lands nice shots on Joe. Nice uppercut by Kessler. Best punch so far. Kessler wins the second minute clearly. Nice right by Kessler. Kessler lands another great uppercut. Kessler begins to land his jab. Calzaghe needs to move his feet more and not let Kessler stand still. Kessler wins the round.

Kessler 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 5...

Kessler seems to have found something that works against Joe. He is beginning to assert himself. Although the fight is tied at 2 round a piece I have Kessler looking better early.

Nice jab by Joe. Joe wins the first minute. The second round is a tie. Kessler definitely has the better power. Calzaghe doesn't seem to have much on his shots. Kessler's nose is beginning to bleed. Kessler lands a hard right. Calzaghe barely wins the round.

Calzaghe 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 6...

Nice right jab by Joe early. Another nice right by joe. Joe wins the first minute. Calzaghe is outboxing Kessler early. Joe's barrage of punches are keeping Kessler at bay. Calzaghe wins the second minute with a nice jab. Kessler seems a little out of whack. Solid round by Joe who has his best round. The better boxer begins to show himself.

Calzaghe 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 7...

The fight is halfway over and Calzaghe seems to be taking a slight edge. Kessler will surely come back.

Kessler looks much more aggressive. Great shots by joe upstairs. Calzaghe wins the first round clearly. Joe is tagging Mikkel upstairs. Kessler looks more tentative. Nice right by Kessler. Another nice right. The second minute is a tie. Calzaghe is the aggressor. Joe's jab looks solid. Calzaghe's forehead begins to bleed. Nice one two by Kessler and is then stunned by Calzaghe. Nice body shot by Kessler. Calzaghe wins the round.

Calzaghe 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 8...

Joe seems to have his range down to a point. Kessler is being out boxed slightly, but if he lets his hands go the fight could change. Joe is open to uppercuts and Kessler is open to any body shot.

Calzaghe begins to circle more, which will help. Nice left hook upstairs by Kessler. Kessler looks a lot more aggressive. Kessler takes the first minute. Kessler is punching with much more authority. Kessler is trying to make this a fight. Kessler is bombing Calzaghe. He knows he needs to change the pace. NIce combination by Joe. Kessler wins the second minute. Calzaghe stuns Kessler slightly. Calzaghe is beginning to mix in a solid body attack. Great round. Kessler wins.

Kessler 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 9...

Kessler had his best round in 8. He knows he is losing, but Calzaghe is the better boxer. This round will be telling.

Calzaghe lands a nice left. Kessler lands nice right hands in sucession. Joe takes the first. Kessler can only land when Joe is punching. Nice jab by Kessler. Calzaghe seems to be slapping more than earlier. Joe wins the second minute. Joe is keeping Kessler back with his constant barrage of punches. Calzaghe wins the round by being the better boxer.

Calzaghe 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 10...

Kessler is beginning to need a knock down or something dramatic to take this fight. In my opinion Joe Calzageh is winning this fight. Kessler better begin to assert himself, and I expect the final three rounds to be great.

Calzaghe comes out boxing. Kessler comes out timid. Calzaghe wins the first minute. Kessler looks to be stepping his game up. Nice right by Joe. They trade shots in the center of the ring with Joe getting the better of it. Joe needs to just be careful and box his way to a win. Nice shots by Kessler, temporarily sets Joe back. Joe lands a solid left hook. And a right hand. Joe is backing Kessler up. Nice left by Joe. Kessler is on the defensive, constantly backing up. Kessler looks demoralized.

Calzaghe 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 11...

Kessler needs a knockout to win. It is that simple. There is no way that any of the judges have this fight close. Calzaghe needs to be careful and just box this round.

Nice left by Joe. Kessler can't land on Joe. Calzaghe is putting on a boxing lesson. Joe takes the first. Nice right jab by Joe. He is beginning to drop his hands and clown around. He needs to be careful, but I don't know that Kessler can catch him. Calzaghe, the veteran is starting to show his greatness. Joe wins the second minute. Kessler is bombing and missing. Calzaghe is slowing the pace. Joe doesn't seem to be worried about getting hurt. Joe is putting on a show for his hometown fans. Joe outboxes his way to an easy round.

Calzaghe 10-9

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Round 12...

Calzaghe 10-9

Joe wins 116-112 on my card.

The official results from the judges are... Caiz scores it 117-111, stewart 116-112, final 116-112. Calzaghe wins by a landslide!

JOE CALZAGHE!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I have my play-by-play setup ready. Fight will start in approximately 1 hour. Stand by for live coverage of Joe Calzaghe vs Mikkel Kessler from Cardiff, Wales. The live coverage will be posted starting with the round 1 post.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
CALZAGHE WINS BY UNANIMOUS DECISION!

My Scorecard:

round 1: close round as both fighters were feeling
each other out. I thought Joe won this round by
being the aggressor.
round 2: Calzaghe for more work done
round 3: Calzaghe clearly won this round by being
the busier fighter. He landed more punches and pressed
the action
round 4: Kessler was impressive with his counter
punching in this round. He also landed 2 flush uppercuts
which were his best of the fight thus far. Round goes
to Kessler
round 5: Again I felt Kessler landed the more effective
shots, with a good right to the body, and a good looping
right in the round.
round 6: Calzaghe's round. Pushed the action and landed
more punches.
round 7: close round, but Kessler landed some very good
shots in this round and was more effective
round 8: wow, great round. Both fighters landed very
efectively throughout the round, but I felt Joe poured
it on more in the end, winning the round.
round 9: Calzaghe punched his way to an easy round
here pushing the pressure on Kessler.
round 10: Calzaghe once again landed more punches won the
round on my card.
round 11: Calzaghe won the round with more landed punches.
He pushed the action.
round 12: Kessler really came out slugging to try and get
a KO and easily won a round as Calzaghe was on the defensive.

8 rounds to 4, Calzaghe (116-112)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.