Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joe Calzaghe W12 Mikkel Kessler...

In front of 50,000 Welsh fans, Joe Calzaghe put on brilliant performance against Mikkel Kessler in a battle between the top two 168-pounders in the world. Seven years older than Kessler, Calzaghe threw over 1000 punches and maintained a fast pace throughout the entire bout en route to a unanimous decision by scores of 116-112 (twice) and 117-111. To Calzaghe's great credit, he did what other pound-for-pound fighters don't always do: he fought hard in the twelfth round against a desparate Kessler even though he could have coasted to the decision. The fight was close for the first four rounds, and Kessler seemd to be throwing straighter, harder punches, but Calzaghe's unconventional southpaw style became indecipherable for Kessler in the fifth. Kessler tried hard, but his corner didn't seem to offer any solutions: perhaps he'll consider a big name trainer next time. The fight between undefeateds can be summed up by saying Kessler fought a good fight, but Calzaghe fought a great one. Calzaghe, already generally recognized as the true world super middleweight champion, adds Kessler's WBA and WBC to his collection. Out of respect to our Boxingtalk colleague George Kimball, we wont call Calzaghe the undisputed champion because he insists that the IBF recognition of another boxer-- after Calzaghe won the IBF belt from Jeff Lacy-- precludes him being "undisputed". We'll just call Calzaghe the indisputable world super middleweight champion

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im still going with kessler for some reason. I guess i feel that we need a younger guy in that division and i believe kessler, still being so young and the record he has. I would like to see him up around 50 and 0 before long.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Calzaghe will win.. comfortable UD or a late TKO. Kessler is tailor made for Calzaghe, he loves guys who just come forward all night.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aagreed, but he has never fought a guy who comes foward with a stiff jab and comes foward throwing punches.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeh, Kessler is going to come forward and Joe tends not to back up much. I think they'll stand in the middle and trade, i think Joe will just use his speed and land more.

About it being in Joe's place, if its at the O2 Arena, which is most likely, that isnt Joe's home place remember.. hes Welsh not English:p And after the Manfredo fiasco, there wont be no bs stoppage, trust me on that..

Is it right that this will be the first time someone has unified 3 titles at SMW?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
definently foty candidancy from the get go. calzaghe vs lacy would have been fight of the century if lacy would of fought back. I see kessler being able to fight back. we may be in for a treat.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im starting to think the same. kessler is just now in his prime and whether some guys want to admit it or not, at age 35, guys get old over night.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
i think the Calzaghe of now would probably beat the Calzaghe of 5 years ago. Calzaghe had alot of personal issues, and now its all sorted and hes 100% back into boxing. Plus, age is just a number, and Calzaghe hasnt had a particularly punishing career.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
rjj was just never that good when he came of the roids (the same time he fought tarver).

calzaghes time is now, he said in his book he'll quit as soon as he feels he cant do it anymore but he says he's going to have an indian summer like hopkins did, joe feels he has another 3-4 years in him at least.

sport is always evolving, fighters are looking after them selfs better these days which is prolonging there careers, when a fighter hits 33 were quick to right them off but its been proved thats around a fighters prime these days, 37-38 is old for a fighter now IMO there best years are from 28-36.

hopkins, mosley, winky, calzaghe, woods are all living proof of this.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
enough with the rj on roids thing. he went his whole career with the same looking figure and he tested psotive once again richard hall who also tested positive in the same fight. Jones tested .02 percent of steriods in his system. Richard hall tested for 30 times that. Jones admitted he was taking a type of enhancment and it had just been announced that it was going to be checked for from now on and as soon as he learned that he stopped taking them. The .02 that showed up in his system was form a nasal enhaler. And i have medical record proof that it does show up in a test as a type of steroid. Tarver had his number. Thats it. But jones beat him 8 rounds to 4 or 9 rounds to 3 on my card.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I see this fight not going past the 3 rd. I dont know why but i think either one of them is going to get knoced out really early in the fight. I think Kessler will come forward and Joe will come out to make a point and they will both have a slugfest.

Cant really say whos gonna knock out who but if i had to put my money on it i would put em on Kessler.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
kesslers style is made for joes. Calzaghes rough style trowing combos from all angles will confuse kessler and i see joe stopping him late. Kessler this kessler that hes no Joe. Calzaghe is the best middle/supermiddle fighter in the world and would destroy every fighter in my opinoin. :)

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Pfff Joe almost got knocked out by an old and scared of hurting people Chris Eubank

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
lol Eubank scared of hurting people??? Man are you dumb, he stepped upto Cruiserweight and fought 2 absolutely brutal wars after.. he was massively undersized and put up a massive fight both times. He was pretty much primed. Kessler hasnt been put in the ring with anyone with a decent punch, sorry but Kessler has Siaca, Beyer, Andrade and Mundine as his best wins, 3 of them are very limited fighters and the other was too scared of getting hit for 12 rounds (Mundine).

1 - 20 of 244 Posts