Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. -- The 92-year-old sister of boxing great Joe Louis, was found frozen to death outside her apartment at an assisted-living center.

The body of Vunies High, who had Alzheimer's disease, was found Monday outside The Heatherwood retirement complex in Southfield, a Detroit suburb, said Capt. Tom Colombo of Southfield emergency medical services.

High, who spent 25 years as a teacher and counselor for Detroit Public Schools, was last seen Sunday. When she was found, she was dressed only in pajamas and was wearing one shoe, with the other lying nearby. An autopsy shows she died of hypothermia.

An official at Swanson's Funeral Home in Detroit confirmed that High was Louis' sister. A message seeking comment was left Wednesday at The Heatherwood.

Southfield police Lt. Nick Loussia told The Detroit News that there was no indication of any crime.

Louis, who transcended racial divisions 1930s and 1940s, remains a local hero in heavily black Detroit, where he grew up. The arena where the NHL's Detroit Red Wings play bears his name, and one of the city's most famous landmarks -- a bronze sculpture of an arm and fist -- is dedicated to his memory. He died in 1981.

THIS IS REALLY A DAMN SHAME

·
Registered
830 Posts
It would have been nice if the community would have seen that she was properly taken care of so this didn't happen. Makes you think doesn't it?

I mean what is the point in all the statues and what not, a hockey team bearing his name etc if the Louis name can't even get his sister looked after properly. That would have been one of the few remaining things they could have done to honour him....a real crock of the proverbial:(:(

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I agree with you 100%. Its been on the news lately about these ole fokes homes and there ratings. I really wonder if this makes the news.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know how great it was being that she was a school teacher and still ended up in a home and die because she wasnt being looked after properly or even at all for that matter.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Ok she lived a shi**y life...........I'd rather remember her as having a good life. A ton of people end up in those places, I'd rather die than have to go there. Thats basically giving up imo. And so what if she was a teacher, people become teachers because they enjoy teaching. Find something else to argue about.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only person worried about arguing is you like always. This isnt a issue to argue over. You paid your respects to her on her and all I was doing was sparking a convo about the negligance in those places. But I see having a convo with you on a subject that we both agree on is impossible to do. I made the point that she was a teacher because I come from a erea where teachers were respected enough not to be unattended to for days at the age of 92. Im also not saying that she lived a bad life. But I cant imagine it being so great when she tought in the erea of segregation as well as post segregation. She deserved better than to be found outside the very place that she lived in her PJS and slippers. She deservered better wheather she was Joes sister or not. Sense you got so much energy to argue with someone that isnt even arguing with you why dont you do like me and argue the fact that these places need to be investigated rather than worrying about what boxer, baseball, or football player is taking steriod or hgh. Lets argue that to someone cause weather we like it or not when we turn 92 we might be in the same situation.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Um, yeah, what he said.

Seriously lance. You and CJ are the quickest to get offended over nothing at all. We need to mellow here. We love a sport where injuries are the usual not the unusual. To see that kind of real violence you have to be a mildly hardened individual. So don't get so peeved.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Um, yeah, what he said.

Seriously lance. You and CJ are the quickest to get offended over nothing at all. We need to mellow here. We love a sport where injuries are the usual not the unusual. To see that kind of real violence you have to be a mildly hardened individual. So don't get so peeved.
Sorry but youre wrong I rarely get offended online 90% of the time i'm tongue in cheek joking but in this instance I'm serious.
My wife is a nurse she supervises teams of surveyors that inspect nursing homes all over the state of mississippi. That poor woman was living in an "assisted living facility" which means she should have been supervised. I believe it was stated she suffered from altzheimers
if so a closer watch should have been in effect. as my wife just commented "Heads should roll over that" You'd be surprised at some of the horror stories I hear from her about nursing home neglect from all over the country. May this dear old lady R.I P.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
what I'm talkin about is when people seem to get personally offended by comments that involve them in no way shape or form.

On this thread we had a real angry post because someone disagreed. Wow, big deal. I'm gonna go have a coke

·
8,579 Posts
My wife read through again and said "If that lady had alzheimers she should not have been allowed access outside unsupervised That is a BIG No No" Looks like her family have a good case for neglect but unfortunately it wont bring her back. Its tragic that after living for 93 yrs she had to die so tragically and alone

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Has anyone thought that maybe she wanted some fresh air and wanted to die in peace? I dont know how prettyboywho and icantbox turned this on me, I simply made a statement for her living a good life......Nice try though :dunno:

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Has anyone thought that maybe she wanted some fresh air and wanted to die in peace? I dont know how prettyboywho and icantbox turned this on me, I simply made a statement for her living a good life......Nice try though :dunno:

You act like were trying to bring you down or something. Quit watching the X-Files, Lance! I'm not an alien hybrid and TommyGunn has not hired me to destroy you. :laugh:

·
8,579 Posts
You dont get it do you Lance An alzheimer patient is kept confined for their own safety. Who would walk out in frigid freezing temperatures in pyjamas. Looks to me that lady died due to lack of supervision by the assisted living center. Do you know what alzheimers is Lance? Its a devastating disease people suffering it have no idea who they are where they are they dont recognize family its a heart breaking condition

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I know all about that disease. My grandfather died from it. But instead of choosing to live in insisted living, he took his own life because he couldnt take it anymore. Not being able to remember his own children and his grandchildren. I got to the point where I couldnt even go see him anymore because it was to hard on me ( I was young at the time ) I dont agree with suicide usually. But when thers no cure in the world for something and you have no chance of getting better, I can understand him wanting to be in a better place.

·
8,579 Posts
I know all about that disease. My grandfather died from it. But instead of choosing to live in insisted living, he took his own life because he couldnt take it anymore. Not being able to remember his own children and his grandchildren. I got to the point where I couldnt even go see him anymore because it was to hard on me ( I was young at the time ) I dont agree with suicide usually. But when thers no cure in the world for something and you have no chance of getting better, I can understand him wanting to be in a better place.
Then I'm sorry you do know what a tragic diseae it is

·
8,579 Posts
Then I'm sorry you do know what a tragic diseae it is
My wife says that here in mississippi all alzheimers patients are placed in a secure nursing home where they can receive 24 hour surveillance and care not an assisted living facility All patients wear an alarm so that if they approach the exits an alarm sounds at the nurses station in the remote chance someone does get outside its called an elopement

1 - 20 of 42 Posts