Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

John Duddy Headlines on 10/20 in Dublin

732 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Boxing 
#1 ·
Unbeaten middleweight sensation John Duddy will look to continue his march to European and World honours on the next Hunky Dorys Fight Night at the National Stadium, Dublin on Saturday, October 20th on the night of the “Celtic Tigers”.

Duddy will headline the event with support from Irish middleweight champion, Matthew Macklin and undefeated light welterweight Paul McCloskey on what promises to be a real showcase of Ireland’s finest fighting talents.

All three men are pushing towards title contention with the trio eyeing up European titles. Duddy is adamant though that he is not looking beyond his next outing at the spiritual home of Irish boxing. The New York based Derry man said, “Everyone wants to know about the future and talk about European titles and World titles but I never give it a second thought because I always need to stay focused on the job at hand and for me that’s October 20th at the National Stadium.

”I’m in a great position now because there are avenues open to me on both sides of the Atlantic. I’ve a good team behind me with the McLoughlin brothers so we’re definitely moving in the right direction.”

Also on board that team is new trainer Don Turner. The veteran American was in Duddy’s corner for the first time at the National Stadium in July when he stopped seasoned Italian campaigner Alessio Furlan in the tenth and final round. Turner was pleased with Duddy’s performance and the fighter himself was thrilled to be back home after 20 consecutive wins Stateside.

“I’m delighted that we made the decision to come home for my last fight and I’m already looking forward to this next one,” said Duddy. “Fighting in New York is something special and for a guy from Derry to headline at Madison Square Garden is amazing but at the end of the day it’s just not home.”

Duddy enjoyed the acclaim of his home crowd last time and he says the atmosphere left his speechless. “I can’t enjoy the crowd until I’ve done the business in the ring but as soon as the referee stopped the last fight at the Stadium I turned and looked out into crowd and it was amazing. Everyone was going nuts and it’s just an incredible feeling. I fought at the Stadium so many times as an amateur but that was something else and I have to take my hat off to everyone who came out to support me. Hopefully they’ll all be back on October 20th.”

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.