Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
press conference held at the Camino Real Hotel in El Paso, Texas was held today announcing that former five-time world champion Johnny Tapia will return to the ring on May 2 in El Paso. An opponent has not yet been named and a venue has not been chosen for the card, but the undercard will feature undefeated Las Cruces, N.M. fighters Austin Trout (13-0, 10 KOs) and Ricky Vasquez (2-1-1, 1 KO), along with El Paso's Abie Han (1-0, 1 KO) and sister Jennifer Han, who will make a pro debut after years of being a top national amateur. Stay tuned for more info as the card develops . . . . --Chris Cozzone, Felix Chavez

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
How old is he now? I had completely forgot about some of the fights this guys had!!! so many calssics gonna try to download his fights with Romero and ayala right now.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its sad in a way to see Johnny come back but its probably the only thing thats keeping him away from the drugs. As long as he fights club fighters and not contenders i say more poower to him.

Those we're great fights Brutus. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yeah didnt he have a big drug problem? I remember something about cocaine and him being pals.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnnys been on the drugs for years, he took another OD just last year.

I think he's been pronounced dead 3 times from OD's.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Its sad in a way to see Johnny come back but its probably the only thing thats keeping him away from the drugs. As long as he fights club fighters and not contenders i say more poower to him.

Those we're great fights Brutus. :thumbsup:
I got to chat with him quite a few times during the press conferences for the Tapia-Ayala fights he's an ok guy real approachable his wife/manager Teresa is a sweetheart too

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got to chat with him quite a few times during the press conferences for the Tapia-Ayala fights he's an ok guy real approachable his wife/manager Teresa is a sweetheart too
I saw Tapia fight a kid called Alvarez at york hall a few years back, i forget who the headliner that night was now. Anyway, he got mobbed from the fans when he was over for that short stay, he was over promoting his book at the same time. A lot of the fans i spoke with said the same thing though C.J, he was a quality guy to be around and had time for eveyone.

It saddens me though to see him put himself through so much. I guess seeing your mother raped and murdered would do that to anyone though.

Great fighter, should be a HOF'er in a few years.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
He probably needs money for his next rehab stay, as sad as it may be to say Tapia couldn't stay off drugs if Floyd offered him a shot......

·
8,579 Posts
I saw Tapia fight a kid called Alvarez at york hall a few years back, i forget who the headliner that night was now. Anyway, he got mobbed from the fans when he was over for that short stay, he was over promoting his book at the same time. A lot of the fans i spoke with said the same thing though C.J, he was a quality guy to be around and had time for eveyone.

It saddens me though to see him put himself through so much. I guess seeing your mother raped and murdered would do that to anyone though.

Great fighter, should be a HOF'er in a few years.
Yeah I sat & talked to Johnny,Teresa & Freddie Roach they were all nice folk. Its easy for folks to decry Johnny for the drug use but as you said they never had to go through what he did as a kid

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Yeah I sat & talked to Johnny,Teresa & Freddie Roach they were all nice folk. Its easy for folks to decry Johnny for the drug use but as you said they never had to go through what he did as a kid
I know that is a popular justification, Cj but belive me I know a few guys who have risen above their own hell pits, it's sure not easy by any means by todays studies and statistics maybe TWO out of ONE HUNDRED addicts are able to regain a drug free life , but it's a daily process, I'm sure Mr Tapia knows this and wants to live a drug free life, hopefully with the help of god and his wife and good friends he can achive this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tapia was a great fighter, in his day. If boxing is what is keeping him of the drugs then, maybe he should carry on as long as he doesn't get embarrased or badly hurt. Tapia is one of my favourite fighters of all-time, it would be a shame to see him get KO'd. His autobiography, Mi Vida Loca is an excellent book, if any one has not read t, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Can somone tell me what happened in his childhood that was so serious? I remember hearing something happened to his mom.

G

·
read Johnnys book, its a very honest interesting read. A heartbreaker aswell

I really wish Johnny would retire, i fear for him being hurt badly

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Can somone tell me what happened in his childhood that was so serious? I remember hearing something happened to his mom.
I beleive his mother was also addicted either comitted suicide or was shot as a result of some crazy dispute, but I'm not sure I"m gonna try to get that book thoug ,I'm sure it is a brutal look into the chicano way of life,during the eighties and nineties

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I'm sure he could make a decent living if he were to train kids or lecture them about the dangers of drug abuse.
Sadly with most kids you can talk to them till your blue in the face and they still have to find out for themselves, thinking they'll just try it once...... once Yeah right!

·
8,579 Posts
I beleive his mother was also addicted either comitted suicide or was shot as a result of some crazy dispute, but I'm not sure I"m gonna try to get that book thoug ,I'm sure it is a brutal look into the chicano way of life,during the eighties and nineties
Actually as a young kid Johnny witnessed his mother get raped then murdered just imagine what that was like for him. Pleasecut the guiy a little slack

1 - 20 of 22 Posts