Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I share that feeling. I'm not sure if Roy outboxes the hell outta him and just toys with him for the duration or if he knocks him out to put an emphatic stamp on his career, but I definitely see Calzaghe being handed a big, fat L.
After watching Calzaghe/Hopkins I know Calzaghe is no tactician. He's not gonna outsmart Roy. He'll definitely try to outwork him but what if he gets countered with a big shot after every flurry he throws? What if throwing a lot of punches doesn't work? He sure as hell doesn't have a plan B. Just like Pavlik didn't have a plan B last saturday.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
After watching Calzaghe/Hopkins I know Calzaghe is no tactician. He's not gonna outsmart Roy. He'll definitely try to outwork him but what if he gets countered with a big shot after every flurry he throws? What if throwing a lot of punches doesn't work? He sure as hell doesn't have a plan B. Just like Pavlik didn't have a plan B last saturday.
He's a one trick pony as far as I'm concerned. Yes, he's got faster hands and more fluid, flashy combinations than Pavlik, but his shots are pitty pat whereas Pavlik is very heavy handed when he gets off (at 160). That's why I scored the fight 114-113 in favor of Hopkins the second time I watched. Nothing he did had any sort of impact in my estimation. Hopkins just didn't do enough. The Hopkins that fought Pavlik beats the best Calzaghe hands down.

G

·
My sound isn't working so I couldn't watch to hear what was said. If Jones somehow gets himself into great shape this fight will be very interesting. You're underestimating Calzaghe's ability to change tactics if needed. He's no Kelly Pavlik. In the Kessler fight he made adjustments after the first 4 rounds and went on to school him. The Hopkins fight was always going to be messy, that was the most Hopkins has held in his whole career. It was that out of hand that he should have been deducted a point for that shitt, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
My sound isn't working so I couldn't watch to hear what was said. If Jones somehow gets himself into great shape this fight will be very interesting. You're underestimating Calzaghe's ability to change tactics if needed. He's no Kelly Pavlik. In the Kessler fight he made adjustments after the first 4 rounds and went on to school him. The Hopkins fight was always going to be messy, that was the most Hopkins has held in his whole career. It was that out of hand that he should have been deducted a point for that shitt, in my opinion.
It was pretty terrible. He did plenty of wrestling with Winky as well. At least he didn't give Joe the atomic headbutt, though.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kessler is a very limited fighter. How is Calzaghe gonna adjust to Roy's handspeed and accuracy?

G

·
Kessler is a very limited fighter. How is Calzaghe gonna adjust to Roy's handspeed and accuracy?
It all depends how they both look and whether Calzaghe needs to adjust to anything. Can Jones slow Calzaghe down and limit his workrate and volume of punches like Hopkins did? I don't think so personally. If he did he'd have to hold alot which just isn't Roy. Can Jones fight for 3 minutes of every round? Are Roy's reflexes at this stage good enough to dodge Calzaghe's shots? I think the odds are heavily stacked against Jones and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Calzaghe fan. I think Jones has an outside chance of a KO, but I think it will have to come within the first 6 rounds.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It all depends how they both look and whether Calzaghe needs to adjust to anything. Can Jones slow Calzaghe down and limit his workrate and volume of punches like Hopkins did? I don't think so personally. If he did he'd have to hold alot which just isn't Roy. Can Jones fight for 3 minutes of every round? Are Roy's reflexes at this stage good enough to dodge Calzaghe's shots? I think the odds are heavily stacked against Jones and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Calzaghe fan. I think Jones has an outside chance of a KO, but I think it will have to come within the first 6 rounds.
Roy won't need to slow Calzaghe down. When you get countered with hard and fast powerpunches while you're the one coming forward you have to slow down unless you're a Margarito type of brawler. Actually I think we're gonna see Calzaghe hold a little and try to disrupt Jones rythm but there won't be that much holding in that fight.

G

·
Roy won't need to slow Calzaghe down. When you get countered with hard and fast powerpunches while you're the one coming forward you have to slow down unless you're a Margarito type of brawler. Actually I think we're gonna see Calzaghe hold a little and try to disrupt Jones rythm but there won't be that much holding in that fight.
True, I think Jones will be in the fight for the first 4/5 rounds and then you'll see Calzaghe step it up.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
That's a good point, and that's the same way I feel. RJ is known to throw some quick and mean counters. If he thinks that the punch that Hopkins threw in the 1st round was bad, try facing it for 12 rounds with RJ LOL. RJ punches are quick, crisp, and hard....something Cal has never tasted in his career, so it'll be interesting to see how he holds up against it.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Good watch, I like listening to Jones talk. I'm glad zabs going back down to 140.
I can hardly understand a word Jones says, what language does he speak??
The only thing I could decypher was that he was obviously not going to rematch Hopkins ever. No surprise, neither Jones nor Calzaghe would have a prayer now that Hopkins is back 100% again.
I agree with Meg Judah IS a clown he has no place still in boxing

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
I can hardly understand a word Jones says, what language does he speak??
The only thing I could decypher was that he was obviously not going to rematch Hopkins ever. No surprise, neither Jones nor Calzaghe would have a prayer now that Hopkins is back 100% again.
I agree with Meg Judah IS a clown he has no place still in boxing
No one can hardly understand what you say and we don't crack on you for that :laugh: I'm just messin with you...you cracked on my boy so I had to get you.

But on this fight the key for RJ is when are his counters going to get into Calzaghe. Notice I didn't say if because its a matter of time until Cal will attempt to change his game plan with RJ's countershots. Unless you're Goro...I don't think Cal will be able to avoid them. I guarantee! That Cal doesn't throw more than 800+ shots. If RJ can throw around 35 shots a round he'll be good because that's 35 hard punches...not the soft puddy that Cal throws. I know we'll see a mix between the middle of the ring, fighting off the ropes, and the Winky-esque defense from RJ like we did in the past 3 fights. I think mostly the winky-esque defense will work the best followed by feinting in the middle of the ring. Calzaghe's notorious ways of just jumping into punches will be put to the test this fight. Calzaghe is touching the canvas in this fight...and I'm sticking to my prediction.

Calzaghe has to push the fight while avoiding the bombs that RJ throws. Some bombs will land...that's inevitable but the way he takes those shots will determine the fight. If he takes them well throughout the fight then he will win...if not...he will slow down and never will switch to that next level. And RJ will win...my prediction is that RJ will win...and we heard it in the interview...RJ is willing to give Cal a rematch....now that's a legend...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts