Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roy Jones says he is now ready to take on anyone - including Oscar de la Hoya.

The former pound-for-pound champion returned to the big time on Saturday with a unanimous points win over Felix Trinidad.

Jones, 39 and fighting for only the third time in two years, wants the winner of the world middleweight title rematch between Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor.

But he is even ready to drop back down to 156lbs for the first time in 16 years and take on the Golden Boy, who is planning three more fights before retiring.

"I told you Roy Jones Jr is back," he said.

"I'll take the winner of either the re-match between Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor or Joe Calzaghe-Bernard Hopkins.

"I'm even willing to go down to 156 pounds to face Oscar De La Hoya in May."

Motivation

Jones has of course won world titles from middleweight to heavyweight, but has not been anywhere near the former since his first-round KO of Jorge Vaca in 1992.

He initially said he would not be dropping back beneath 166lbs but following his catchweight success over Trinidad, which took his record to 56-52-4 (38KO), the Penescola man believes the good times are back.

"I always said that with the right motivation and focus I can still be Superman," he said.

"I saw it in the gym leading up to the fight and Tito Trinidad and everybody else saw it on Saturday night at the Garden.

"Like I said, line 'em up and I'll knock them down."

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
if roy managed to get down to 160 i could see dlh accepting his challenge. mainly because roy would be at a severe disadvantage because of weight loss. we all know how oscar likes to have his advantages. this would be the only fight where he may actually outlast his opponent down the stretch.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
No way Roy gets down to 160 now, he would lose all his muscle if he tried and his chin would not hold up.

Pavlik must be licking his chops!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All Roy does is call out the names. Hopkins, calzaghe, hoya. Who will be next? Pacquiao

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Chad Dawson has offered Roy a fight at 175, we'll see if superman accepts this....

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
This bullshit.. Roy never will fight DLH, Roy will never make the weight before dying, DLH would never move up so much( to a weight roy would make like 168) to be embarassed and get his ass whooped...A fight at 160 would be for sure a farewell fight for roy, he would take the big money and get out,,,

The most probable scenario is a fight against Joe Calzaghe, or maybe the winner of Taylor Pavlik

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
From Fightnews.com

WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson is disputing claims by Roy Jones Jr., that he is 'ready to take on all comers in the light heavyweight or super middleweight divisions and beyond.' Dawson said, "He named middleweights Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor, super middleweight Joe Calzaghe, light heavyweight Bernard Hopkins, who has been asking for a rematch for over 10 years, and junior middleweight Oscar De La Hoya. Funny how big old 'Superman' doesn't want to pick on someone his own size, like the reigning WBC light heavyweight champion, me." Dawson's promoter, Gary Shaw added. "Chad doesn't have to send out misleading statements that he's faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive or can leap tall buildings in a single bound. Chad is just stating fact. Until Roy steps up to fight for the world light heavyweight title, the only thing he has in common with Superman is being a cartoon."

·
Registered
652 Posts
Roy seems to be calling out every big name fighter around.

Would prefer to see Roy retired. He is one of the Greatest fighters I have ever seen but he should hang the gloves up now.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
From Fightnews.com

WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson is disputing claims by Roy Jones Jr., that he is 'ready to take on all comers in the light heavyweight or super middleweight divisions and beyond.' Dawson said, "He named middleweights Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor, super middleweight Joe Calzaghe, light heavyweight Bernard Hopkins, who has been asking for a rematch for over 10 years, and junior middleweight Oscar De La Hoya. Funny how big old 'Superman' doesn't want to pick on someone his own size, like the reigning WBC light heavyweight champion, me." Dawson's promoter, Gary Shaw added. "Chad doesn't have to send out misleading statements that he's faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive or can leap tall buildings in a single bound. Chad is just stating fact. Until Roy steps up to fight for the world light heavyweight title, the only thing he has in common with Superman is being a cartoon."
Ok I understand Dawson's sentiments, but come on. Nobody knows who Chad Dawson is. Roy will only fight the fights that get him paid. Dawson is looking for a big name to boost up his name a little. He would beat Roy in my opinion, but the fight will never happen.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Ok I understand Dawson's sentiments, but come on. Nobody knows who Chad Dawson is. Roy will only fight the fights that get him paid. Dawson is looking for a big name to boost up his name a little. He would beat Roy in my opinion, but the fight will never happen.
The story of 99% of Roys career, to high risk with not enough $$$$.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dunno, I see a little George Foreman/ Larry Holmes in Roy. He looks just as strong as Hopkins and quicker if you ask me. I think his chin could hold up to the likes of Hopkins, Calzage and Gay La Hoya if the fight became a reality. Never sleep on a living legend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts