Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WBO waiting for Diaz decision!
Baby Bull must face Katsidis or lose belt
One of the stipulations of Saturday's Juan Diaz vs Julio Diaz championship fight was the winner (Juan Diaz) must inform the WBO by letter within ten days stating his intention to fight WBO interim titleholder Michael Katsidis within a 120-day period. If Diaz informs the WBO that the Katsidis fight is a go, the parties have 15 days to negotiate an agreement and any one of the parties involved may request a purse bid at any time. If no letter is received, the WBO will declare Katsidis the WBO lightweight champion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Katsidis advisor Sampson Lewkowicz has not yet been able to contact Diaz' promoter Don King Productions, and is distressed at Diaz' post fight comments. "...the only information I have read from Juan Diaz is that he is calling out Manny Paquiao and David Diaz [and] is totally disregarding his mandatory obligation in every interview," wrote Lewkowicz in an email to DKP exec Dana Jamison, "furthermore Don King never acknowledged the obligation of the champion, this action of the fighter and promoter leads me to believe that they have no interest to comply with his mandatory obligation and gives me no other choice but to call for a purse bid as soon as possible."

·
Registered
8 Posts
What the hell is Katsidis doing with the "interm" title anyway? I mean they already have a real champion in Diaz, so why have a paper one?

I swear sometimes boxing makes no sense. I mean if I am Diaz obviously I want to keep my title, but you have to go where the money is and it really wont be there in that fight.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
either way i'd like to see diaz and katsidis fight. hopefully, pac and jmm can settle the draw, and if pac wins then he could fight the winner of diaz/katsidis. guaranteed excitement!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
First of all Katsidis vs anyone is guaranteed excitement. I would absolutely love to see Juan beat his face into a pulp. Look what Amonsot did to him!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
diaz will relinquish the belt, he holds another 2 anyway and pacman is the fight he wants.

katsidis is the new WBO champion in my eyes now, katsidis v casamayor anyone?

·
Registered
117 Posts
katsidis

Katsidis hopes to defend the wbo title against pacquiao. wow what a fight.
By the way guys Katsidis brother is one of Australia's top jockeys and is riding one of the favourites in a huge race in melbourne on Saturday - the Caulfield Cup.

Great to see them both doing well.

In case you missed it there's a good video interview with Katsidis

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
TommyGunn said:
diaz will relinquish the belt, he holds another 2 anyway and pacman is the fight he wants.

katsidis is the new WBO champion in my eyes now, katsidis v casamayor anyone?
i agree. He will give up the belt if it means a fight with Pac.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Im probably the first to say this, but Im going wiht Katsidis with either a TKO or UD. Katsidis is the real deal this guy amazed me wen i watched his fight with Graham Earl and the undercard of Hopkins-Wright. Yes, Amonsot did mess him up, but Amonsot trained nonstop this was the fight of Amonsots life, and Katsidis was still able to win the fight despite the damage he recieved. Im pretty sure i remember hearing he gave Amonsot brain damage in the process. This would be FOTY for sure as both fighters display relentless pressure in teh ring. Katsidis 10th round10TKO

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
WBO probably wanted there name to be associated with such an exciting fighter. They would probably love Katsidis to be promoted to champion.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Juan will give up this belt for sure. I don't think he will fight Katsidis as it wont make too much money. Katsidis is only known by hardcore fans. Manny vs Juan would make much more sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is how Katsidis got the interm belt. In late 2006 Acelino Freitas was the WBO Lightweight champion. He decided to relinquish his belt and retire. At that point, the wbo decided to have a fight between the WBO #1 and #2 ranked fighters to determine the next champion. These fighters were Michael Katsidis and Graham Earl. Before this fight ever happended, Freitas decided that he wanted to come out of retirement and fight Juan Diaz for the title (which I think is absurd). Katsidis then beat Earl and was awarded the interm championship. Diaz beat Freitas and won the championship. It's very confusing, and one reason why it's very hard to be a casual boxing fan. GO KATSIDIS!!

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Here is how Katsidis got the interm belt. In late 2006 Acelino Freitas was the WBO Lightweight champion. He decided to relinquish his belt and retire. At that point, the wbo decided to have a fight between the WBO #1 and #2 ranked fighters to determine the next champion. These fighters were Michael Katsidis and Graham Earl. Before this fight ever happended, Freitas decided that he wanted to come out of retirement and fight Juan Diaz for the title (which I think is absurd). Katsidis then beat Earl and was awarded the interm championship. Diaz beat Freitas and won the championship. It's very confusing, and one reason why it's very hard to be a casual boxing fan. GO KATSIDIS!!
Thanx for the info TheGreat. Don't get me started on the sanctioning bodies : regular belts + international belts + interim belts...etc = nonsense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Uhm, there's still no news from WBO announcing Katsidis as champion and it's past the 10-day mark. So, does that mean that Katsidis vs Juan is going to happen? They should be in the negotiations phase by now, then. I wanna see this fight(crosses fingers).

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
If this fight happens you can kiss Katsidis' future life goodbye. Juan will beat him retarded throughout the night. I don't' want to see that happen to Katsidis. He's a cool guy, and I love his crazy style, but Juan is all wrong for him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts