Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone said Juanma had to box from the outside to win a decision. I told you guys PDL would be going backwards when he felt Juanma. He has an unbelievable right hook. It's too soon to say now but I have a feeling Juanma will be better than Cotto, he has more power and better defense than Cotto. Puerto Rican Champion #56 and counting.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
At first I thought he was going to get sucked in to a slugfest and since he only seemed to be effective with his right he would be knocked out. But I saw De Leon-Penalosa last night for the first time and how easy he was getting hit by Gerry (another southpaw) and made me regret that pick then and there. He looks like a southpaw De La Hoya to me much props to Juanma and his performance.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
The problem with first round blowouts is that we dont really know how good a fighter really is... Lopez showed he can punch and punch good, but we didnt even have time to get the taste of it. Also we dont know how lucky the punch was.. Anyways, Lopez is a good fighter, thats for sure..

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
The problem with first round blowouts is that we dont really know how good a fighter really is... Lopez showed he can punch and punch good, but we didnt even have time to get the taste of it. Also we dont know how lucky the punch was.. Anyways, Lopez is a good fighter, thats for sure..
It wasn't lucky, it was timing, he was bound to catch him with that pinpoint right hand, it was crisp, fast, and powerful. Juanma threw that left as a decoy like I knew he would and came back with that right hand like he does in every fight I have seen him in. I thought PDL' chin would hold up better, it didnt. PDL and his handlers are iiots if they didnt prepare for that getting caught with it so cleanly in the first is inexcusable.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Of course it wasnt that lucky of a punch, Lopez was good as it lasted, but couldnt get very much with one round, I mean all we could see was his head snapped a few times by De Leons jabs and his straight left threatening to land, and it did.. Ponce de Leon was winning the round until Lopez landed that left hand - right hook combination that sent De Leon down and out of his feet. great mix of punches by Lopez in the finish too. It was brutal

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I don't think his left landed or caused damage on that knockdown. I seen him in like 3 fights he leaves it short almost every single time unless he's going for the finish. Its like a decoy, range finder, and/or blinding type left hand, that right hand does all the damage wether heuses it as a counter or in a combination

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
You're right, the right hook did most of the damage in the first knockdown.. What I meant was that it showed it was gonna land when he first missed it and de leon barely got away, like a punch that would obiously find home most of the night, but it didnt turn out to be a long night...

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Yeah JuanMa has more pop than I thought and must have tremendous power in that right, since PDL had never been down in his career I mean if there is a guy that has been hit cleanly he must be one of them I am suprised it took this long, JuanMa knocked out a guy with a pretty solid chin.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I cant wait for that kids next fight i see big things in the future for him.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Pure boxing thecnique against raw strength ( POW ) is all over, Ponce will fade way, I doudt he'll ever be heard from again....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me neither he looks brilliant. Looks like yenks was right :laugh:
:cool:

I was just checking out the ring rankings for the super bantamweight division. I think they haven't updated since yesterdays fights. Juanma Lopez is nowhere in the top 10 while PDL is #3 and Rey Bautista (Who PDL KO'ed in the 1st) is #9 :dunno: Can't wait for juanma to clean up the division.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
He impressed me much. That's all I have to say about it. They all did actually. All the guys that won last night impressed me. It was a great night of boxing and I can't wait to see them all again.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Got to hand it Juanma. I had him getting knocked out. Instead he did the knocking out. Kid looks like a super star in the making

1 - 20 of 21 Posts