Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know its plenty important to incorporate jump rope into your routine. My problem is im just absolutely horrible at it. I always have been and seem like I always will be. I just dont know what the problem is. I have pretty good rythym and am pretty athletic. I can jump rope for hours at a time simply because I only get in a good two or maybe three jumps before I trip on the rope haha. Is it common to be pretty terrible at this or should I maybe adopt a different form of the same exercise? Ive been at it for about 2 months now with no improvement haha.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
What is your height, and what length rope are you using? Many times this will happen when the rope is a bit too short.

Also, what is it made of? Is it a plastic speed rope, a leather rope, etc? Does it have ball beerings in the handles or is it cheaply made?

How fast of a rythm do you jump at normally (how many jumps per 5 seconds)

All of this info will greatly help me in suggesting the proper rope for you, which is probably half of the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im 5'11. Im not sure the length of the rope but if standing on the middle of the rope the handles reach to about my chest. Its a plastic rope and yes there are ball bearings inside of the handles. Im really not sure how fast I go but anything over snail speed and I fail miserably.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Well it sounds like you have a quality speed rope. Maybe your just jumping too high? Its harder to recover quickly the higher you jump. Try to jump only high enough to have the balls of your feet lift off of the floor for a split second. Try to keep a steady pace, not too fast, and not too slow.

If all else fails, try a leather rope which will swing a litle slower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So other than that theres no real fix to it? Just practice makes perfect I guess? Ill try the tips youve suggested and see if that gets me anywhere. I guess Ill get used to it with practice. Like I said im pretty athletic and have pretty good control over my body... hell I can even walk AND chew bubble gum... surely I can jump rope right? haha

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah thats odd I have never had a problem jumping rope ..The only time I have ever had a problem is if I was using a piece of crap rope ... Just keep practicing I cant imagine you getting any worse.. get a decent rope too which I believe you have already.. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jump rope isn't just a physical exercise, it involves coordination, so when you swing the rope look at the rope so that you know when to jump.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you don't have much calf strength or you are bending your knees too deep. Try jumping without the rope. Try the dot drill or four square drill. You could also try the agility ladder. After you gain some foot speed then go back to the rope.

·
Banned
57 Posts
if it reaches your chest it sounds ever so slightly on the long side. i just tie a knots in mine or pull some rope through the handles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new, and I definitely could be wrong, but when I got my rope, we trimmed it so that when stepping (with one foot) in/on the middle of the rope, the top of the handles reaches your armpit. It seemed to work out to perfect length for me.

HTH...

jen

·
Registered
14 Posts
i just started jumproping about a week ago and i sucked at it...so i bought one, and started doing it at home and im already used to it. You'l get it man just keep practicing. there isn't a trick to in as long as you've got the right equipment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i just started jumproping about a week ago and i sucked at it...so i bought one, and started doing it at home and im already used to it. You'l get it man just keep practicing. there isn't a trick to in as long as you've got the right equipment.
same, I started jumping a few weeks ago, and my coordination sucked. I started jumping with both feet, 15 min 3-4 days a week after. I got the timing down I start alternating feet. Now I'm able to skip and increase speed. I would say just keep practicing. It can get frustrating but just start off slow and you'll get it. Try to stay on toes or the ball of your foot and not lift your foot so high. The less you have to lift your foot the faster you can go.

Standing on rope with both feet, my rope copes to about lower/mid chest, i'm 5'8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts