Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Junior Witter delivered the best performance of his career, scoring a 7th round knockout of Vivian Harris at the Doncaster Dome in Doncaster, England.

Official time was 1:00 of the seventh round.

Many anticipated a tactical battle, but both were intent on making a statement, resulting in a spirited, high-contact affair. Both enjoyed early success with their jabs and right hands, but it was Witter who remained in control in the early going.

Harris controlled the action in the third, a round where Witter wasted far too much time switching back and forth between orthodox and southpaw. The switch to southpaw often led to right hand opportunities for Harris, even more puzzling as to why Witter wanted to experiment.

It appeared to be more of the same in the fourth round, until Witter managed to dramatically turn the tide with a right hand inside. Witter attempted to follow up, but was in too close, causing an anticipated knockdown to be ruled a slip as Witter pushed with the right. Harris got up, but was sent right back to the canvas, this time for the first official knockdown of the round courtesy of another Witter right hand. Harris was up at seven, but appeared groggy. Fortunately for the Brooklyn-based boxer, the knockdown came late in the round, and Witter was unable to seal the deal before the bell.

Realizing he was in deep water, Harris fought more purposeful in the fifth and sixth rounds, both of which were marred by excessive clinching from Witter. Harris was able to dial in with his right hand, including two that snapped Witter's head back, both of which caused the Brit to clinch.

One more clinch early in the seventh drew a warning from the referee. Witter responded by standing his ground and inviting Harris to trade. Harris landed a right left combo, but ate right hands before and after getting off his shots. A left hand sent Witter reeling into the corner. Harris went in for the kill, but was unable to launch his right hand, as he got nailed with a perfect counter left hook. Harris crumbled to the canvas, and was peeking out through the bottom ropes as the referee reached the count of ten.

Witter runs his record to 35-1 (20KO) with the win, his 21st straight, spanning seven years since the lone loss of his career in 2000. After having gone the distance on four straight occasions, Witter resumes his post-Zab Judah reputation as a knockout artist, scoring his second straight stoppage, both occurring in 2007. With the win, Witter is now undoubtedly the top threat to the linear 140 lb. crown, presently held by longtime UK rival Ricky Hatton.

Harris falls to 28-3-1 (18KO) with the loss, his second in his past five fights. It was the second stoppage loss of his ten-year career, having also crashed and burned in the seventh round when he met Carlos Maussa in June 2005.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i agree with LL, i hate witter "the lord of the dance" hitter!! i hope he gets KTFO but i think he wins on points.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this first doesnt interest me at all but you have to grade b names fighting each other. Harris has some pop doesnt he? and witter has been knocked out before i believe.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Witter hasnt been KOd i dont think, his only defeat was a UD loss to Zab Judah i believe. He has a pretty good chin. I think Harris has pretty good power, but nothing too special. Witter wins a boring UD, then starts blabbing how Hatton is ducking him again in the post fight interview:laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
witters fought in the US a couple of times i think, he defo fought lovemore n'dou there.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
witter just fought an excellant fight there, i gave him everything in the first 5 rounds with a big 10-8 in the fourth, he was faster, smarter more skilled and was also the harder puncher.

im no fan of witter but i give credit where its due, he was briliant tonight against a real top tier fighter, look for witter to fight malignaggi next at MSG.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts