Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Do you think Lopez has what it takes to beat the top guys at 112 and above?

• Yes, i think he can beat just about everyone around his weightclass

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Im not sure about him yet

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, i dont think he has what it takes to beat the top guys at 112 and above

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know Juanma Lopez won his first defense of his title he won by knocking out De Leon in the first round last summer and in his first defense he knocked out a decent opponent also in the first round, now my question is how good do you think Juanma Lopez is?

Since in his last two fights he proved that he packs a serious punch in both hands, but does he have what it takes to win the best guys in his division? Can he beat Israel Vazquez or Rafael Marquez for example? Or is he just a guy who is known for packing a big punch but no being able to compete against the big guys? What do you guys think the future holds for him? We all know he has not been tested but what do you guys think will happen when he faces the top dogs in his division?

My opinion is that based on what ive seen from him i would pick him to stop Rafael Marquez and give Israel Vazquez some serious problems, even more. Ive seen more than just his last two fights and he shoved me there that he can also box but that was against lesser opponents.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
You wrote 112 instead of 122.
Anyway I think he's very good and he can beat Marquez and Vasquez. I just wanna know what happens if he goes the distance against a good fighter.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
His left is a decoy, his right hook has to be the best punch in boxing. He has all around sound technique and skills, that alone wouldve made him solid and got him a title. The power, accuracy, and versatility in that right hook put him in another level.

If he stays focused, he has a real shot at dominating in and around his weight class. If those wars haven't taken too much out of them, I'd take Vazquez and Marquez over him because I think Marquez can outbox him and he still has that P4P power. Vazquez' trainer is vastly under rated, I think Israel would be able to avoid the right hook and take some of them if they were to land, while hitting him with punishing shots of his own.

G

·
He was ready for the elite before this fight in my opinion, this just confirmed it. I'm expecting big things from Lopez. He picks his shots well, never rushes and is always in control of things. That right hook is something special.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still think Vazqyez wins Lopez, but i think hes the real deal.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
He's good. But I think Vaz and Marquez both beat him

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Why does everyone call him Juanma? His name is Juan Manuel. My name is Steven Shane, but nobody calls me Stevensha. Shitt drives me crazy.

Now that I got that out of the way I think he beats everyone other than Marquez and Vasquez.

G

·
Felix Trinidad: "Juanma Could Become My Successor"

By Mark Vester

Juan Manuel Lopez's 47-second demolition of Cesar Figueroa, last week in Puerto Rico, left such an impression on Felix Trinidad, that the former three-division champion called Lopez his possible successor, becoming the next icon of Puerto Rico. Trinidad says the unbeaten WBO super bantamweight champ reminded him of himself when he was coming up in the welterweight ranks.

"He reminds me a lot of myself. When I used to throw the straight punch and then the hook and the punches sent them to the canvas," Trinidad said to Primera Hora.

"I think that he will be the successor of Tito Trinidad if he keeps going in this direction. When I won the title from Maurice Blocker, I also had my first defense in Puerto Rico and I knocked out Luis Garcia in the first-round. Juanma did exactly the same. The first defense of his title won by knockout in the first-round. I expect for him to do that in many defenses."

Lopez was very humble when interviewed by the paper, and was not quick to label himself as the best fighter in the country.

"Puerto Rico has a lot of good fighters. I believe that I am one of the most charismatic. I won't dare call myself the new face of boxing [in Puerto Rico] because there are a lot of good fighters here. The fact that Miguel Cotto lost does not signify that he is not a great champion and Ivan Calderon is a great champion with 14 defenses of the title."

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Why does everyone call him Juanma? His name is Juan Manuel. My name is Steven Shane, but nobody calls me Stevensha. Shitt drives me crazy.

Now that I got that out of the way I think he beats everyone other than Marquez and Vasquez.
Shut up Stevensha.

Juanma could be the next Tito because of his 1 punch KO power and his timing and accuracy. Puerto Rico will need him because Cotto will probably lose the rematch against Margarito and Calderon won't fight anytime soon with that gash on his forehead.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Shut up Stevensha.

Juanma could be the next Tito because of his 1 punch KO power and his timing and accuracy. Puerto Rico will need him because Cotto will probably lose the rematch against Margarito and Calderon won't fight anytime soon with that gash on his forehead.
:laugh::laugh:

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I think he could be even better than Tito. Tito was/is one dimensional, Lopez can box, counter punch, and some other things Tito couldn't, and at a level Tito couldn't. The only thing is that he has much better opposition than Trinidad had around him. He needs to be very careful.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I think he could be even better than Tito. Tito was/is one dimensional, Lopez can box, counter punch, and some other things Tito couldn't, and at a level Tito couldn't. The only thing is that he has much better opposition than Trinidad had around him. He needs to be very careful.
So you think he is the real deal as well? I can't wait to see this guy start fighting upper echelon guys.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
So you think he is the real deal as well? I can't wait to see this guy start fighting upper echelon guys.
Yep, but I think he needs to be real careful who he faces. Some guys around him are very very dangerous and he might not be ready for that. But him being southpaw, with that technique, counter punching, timing, calm demeanor, accuracy, quickness, and that 1 punch Ko power he is going to be really hard to beat.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I think Marquez and Vazquez beat him. But Lopez should be the man once they leave. He's got the skills. But not sure if he has the chin. I have yet to see it get tested.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think Lopez beats both Israel and Rafael, I'm pretty sure they can take each others hits, but I'm not certain they can take a Lopez punch.

Add on that I think Lopez hasn't thrown his hardest hit from what we seen so far. Especially in that last fight, he just threw punches and they happened to be to hard for the opponent to take. Samething with the De Leon knockdown with that counter hook, it wasn't something he was expecting to knock'em down with, it was just to hard and perfect, that's my opinion anyways.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think Marquez and Vazquez beat him. But Lopez should be the man once they leave. He's got the skills. But not sure if he has the chin. I have yet to see it get tested.
I never thought about his chin for some reason. It hasn't been tested

I think Lopez beats both Israel and Rafael, I'm pretty sure they can take each others hits, but I'm not certain they can take a Lopez punch.

Add on that I think Lopez hasn't thrown his hardest hit from what we seen so far. Especially in that last fight, he just threw punches and they happened to be to hard for the opponent to take. Samething with the De Leon knockdown with that counter hook, it wasn't something he was expecting to knock'em down with, it was just to hard and perfect, that's my opinion anyways.
I don't think Lopez would walk through Marquez or Vazquez punches like nothing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts