Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just started sparring with friends, we've got 8oz gloves. when we start the fights and they throw punches i always end up turning my head away from them to the side. almost as if i have a phobia of getting hit in the face, instead i end up getting punched in the ear and kidney lol. any ideas as to what could help me lose this phobia of facing the other boxer?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i just started sparring with friends, we've got 8oz gloves. when we start the fights and they throw punches i always end up turning my head away from them to the side. almost as if i have a phobia of getting hit in the face, instead i end up getting punched in the ear and kidney lol. any ideas as to what could help me lose this phobia of facing the other boxer?

Bob and weave, a little side to side movement.

Watch young Tyson and you'll see what i mean.

·
Registered
149 Posts
8 oz gloves are a bit small but anyways turning your head or closing your eyes while being punched at is just something you will have to overcome with a few times of sparring.just remember this if you are looking at the person throwing punches you will beable to see them coming rather than turning your head and not seeing anything.if it is a volume of punches that is making you tense under pressure instead of standing there step out then reset.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Over time you will get more and more confident and used to the sparring. It takes most guys a while to not be blinking all the time. Just stick with it bro.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You'll get used it in time, do some neck exercises if you want. Also, definently get some 16 oz gloves. 8 oz will feel like fist if your just starting out.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I have a full proof method to controling your phobia of getting smacked in the face, ( stop boxing ):laugh:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
All the bobing and weaving in the world ain't gonna help your still gonna get hit unless you spar some guy with those little tiny arms you know the ones that look like a T-rex.:laugh:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Many people will tell you that a good chin is either born or not. And this is partially true. But there is such thing as actually getting used to a punch. My nature and genetics, I realized one day I had a pretty good chin. I've only been down once. When I first walked into a gym. I got in the ring with a guy my size and he put me down with the first punch he through. After that. I went home everyday and physically hit myself in the face, all over with some crappy everlast gloves. After a while, your nose goes numb, you learn to stop blinking and you learn to see even when your vision is blurry. It all just takes time. My method was kind of crazy but it did indeed work. Just keep sparring with a guy really cant punch, after awhile your ability to take a punch will get better. But as for taking a shot from a guy who can PUNCH. well, that may never get better, that part, you are born with.

Alot of it, is in your head. I promise. Talk yourself into just taking the punch, as a beginner, your natural instinct is to try to roll with it, DONT. Let it hit you until you learn to roll properly.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Those black gloves are actually mma/boxing sparring gloves in the 16 oz size. I own a pair. They were great for about 6 months until my knuckle went all the way through the padding haha. They are good beginning gloves. Those red ones are great bag gloves. I have a pair of them as well, actually 2 pairs that came free with my heavybag. Make sure you punch properly before using the red bag gloves, they have no wrist protection as you can see, but they have great padding. Those little things have more padding than the new super bag gloves I got from title over the weekend.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
The ones I own are 16 oz, I didnt think they offered them in 12 oz. either way, they are decent synthetic leather gloves for beginners. No doubt. I got mine for about 40 bucks awhile ago.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The ones I own are 16 oz, I didnt think they offered them in 12 oz. either way, they are decent synthetic leather gloves for beginners. No doubt. I got mine for about 40 bucks awhile ago.
I got mine for 30 at Sports Authority but I saw the same pair at Wal-Mart for 15.

By the way, what do you use your pro fighting gloves for? Or do you just collect them?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Its a collecting thing, but I always lace them up for my "sparring sessions" Now that I dont box anymore for real, I just invite guys over to box. I always take it as a real fight because they think they are going to whip me because im only 175 pounds. I just like having a ton of gloves for different occasions. It also compliments my BOXING room in my house.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Its a collecting thing, but I always lace them up for my "sparring sessions" Now that I dont box anymore for real, I just invite guys over to box. I always take it as a real fight because they think they are going to whip me because im only 175 pounds. I just like having a ton of gloves for different occasions. It also compliments my BOXING room in my house.

Lucky you :p

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
It is nice. Its just the room that I watch fights in and have my boxing collection and stuff. I have the gloves on the wall along with tons of fightposters. Its like heaven for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts