Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not ever but I'm wondering when it will be time to put Kelly in that class. With his record and his staggering KO percentage it might be time to say, "This guy is one of the hardest punchers ever!"

Anyone on my side or whats the argument?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't think you can argue with it much. I haven't seen a one punch KO from him which would strengthen the argument more.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The one thing I find really impressive with Kelly is most of the punches I've seen him drop people with or at least the major punch in setting them up is a straight right. he realy doesn't throw a ton of wide looping opunches which I think adds to the idea of him being a well balanced fighter. Those straight rights of his are freakin brutal.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Pavlik aways has his opponent out of his feet after one big punch, at least once in the night he does that... NOt to mention, Pavlik is one of the best finishers in the game(if not the best).

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Pavliks right hand scrambles brains!

He's one of the hardest punching middleweights anyway if not the hardest, thats for sure!

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's not only the power of that right cross either, it's his absolutely deadly accuracy with it that's most impressive.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not only the power of that right cross either, it's his absolutely deadly accuracy with it that's most impressive.

For sure, he can split right through the gloves at any given moment. Definitely his biggest asset for sure.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
what makes him great is he is one of the heaviest handed middleweights in history and he throws 90 punches a round. if you can make it to a decision that's an accomplishment in itself.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Probably not ever but I'm wondering when it will be time to put Kelly in that class. With his record and his staggering KO percentage it might be time to say, "This guy is one of the hardest punchers ever!"

Anyone on my side or whats the argument?
Not even close

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh I think he's more than close. IF he keeps his percentage of KO's up he could easily be the best. He's only 25, and if you look at MClellan, Mugabi, Jackson, Ketchel and others, he ranks right in there. However, he won't spend his career at middelweight like those listed, so that might keep him out of the class.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Talk to me when he steps up to the likes of Kessler, Calzage, hell even Hopkins with his akwardness could give him a go. Yes he punches hard but he doesn't have the one-hitter quitter of a Hearns or even a young Roy Jones Jr who could do it with a single body shot. Personally, I don't think he would have beaten Jermain Taylor if Taylor didn't punch himself out and forget to use his footwork. Don't drink the kool-aid Taylor was ahead on points before he got put to sleep...but watch the rematch!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Talk to me when he steps up to the likes of Kessler, Calzage, hell even Hopkins with his akwardness could give him a go. Yes he punches hard but he doesn't have the one-hitter quitter of a Hearns or even a young Roy Jones Jr who could do it with a single body shot. Personally, I don't think he would have beaten Jermain Taylor if Taylor didn't punch himself out and forget to use his footwork. Don't drink the kool-aid Taylor was ahead on points before he got put to sleep...but watch the rematch!!!
I recommend watching there first fight over a few times. Pavlik went jab for jab with taylor the entire fight starting in the first round. many (myself included) thought pavlik won the first. I think what help persuaded the judges in giving some of the rounds to taylor was his punches seemed to have more snap to them and appeared in person to do more damage. at the fight I thought taylor was winning it aswell until I came home and watched it several times on tape and released pavlik was winning most of the rounds.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well first, I went off comparing him to the hardest hitting middleweights instead of hardest punchers of all time, which was the original question. I also agree that the 168'ers are another story. He'll have to prove himself at that level but he should be a natural there.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
let us know when hes koing guys with iron chins and other world class all time greats with one punch
He's the first fighter to have KO'd Miranda and Taylor, both have been in with big punchers in the past.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
what big punchers have taylor and miranda been in with? i'm wondering because i don't consider neither fighter having been in with a really big puncher prior to fighting pavlik. they've faced decent punchers yes.....big punchers i'm not so sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts