Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a fan at all.

I think he is a laboured linear fighter.

He just seems to come forward in straight lines and throw straight shots.

Does anyone think he would do anything at super middleweight?

I could be wrong but to me he doesn't look anywhere near as quick or powerful as Kessler who seems a similar fighter.

I also think that had he fough Calzaghe he would have got the same treatment Kessler and Lacy got.

I just don't rate Pavlik much, he can bang and has a decent stiff jab, but beyond that....

What are the feelings about what he will do and take on next? If he does fight Trinidad, what do you think will happen?

P.S

I think a young Trinidad at middleweight would win a UD, but I don't know if Trinidad is just looking for a couple of paydays now....

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I agree he does come forward in straight lines, and he seems to be heavily reliant on the double jab followed by a straight right. I do think Kessler is a superior fighter and i believe he would KO him.

Iv been busy as hell though and havent had a chance to see Taylor-Pavlik II, so these views are strictly based on his previous fights.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
your're right' there really does'nt seem to be nothing especial about Pavlik except his power perhaps, and yes he should stay at middle weight, just 4 lps above that seemed to have slow him down. no way he's a match for Kessler, I think he get blown away....

·
Registered
624 Posts
i agree! i think he is a solid fighter without a doubt but whther he is as good as alot of people percieve is a different story!

i think at super middleweight- Calzaghe is in a different league and would expose him like he did with kessler and lacy

i think kessler would have his work cut out at the start but would win on points

trinidad in his prime would've KO'd pavlik!

again i'm not saying he is a poor fighter but i don't think he is as good as some may think! i wasn't too impressed with the way he fought Taylor this weekend and would've like to have seen him look a bit more like a champ.

to be honest i thought the fight at the weekend was pretty average overall! neither looked like they wanted to take any risks! and i think taylor was just happy to stay on his feet! win or loose!

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I'm not too sure I agree that Trinidad even in his prime would have beaten Pavlik.
Trinidad had a hell of a punch at welter, not at middle weight,on the other hand Pavlick has a legitimate power punch at middle weight , I say pavlik would have handle trinidad pretty much the same way Winky did in his prime, now I say Pavlik blows him away inside 3 rounds no doudt...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree he does come forward in straight lines, and he seems to be heavily reliant on the double jab followed by a straight right. I do think Kessler is a superior fighter and i believe he would KO him.
Agree. I think Kessler is similar in terms of fighting in lines, but I think Kessler is faster and maybe has a bigger right hand when thinking super middleweight.

again i'm not saying he is a poor fighter but i don't think he is as good as some may think! i wasn't too impressed with the way he fought Taylor this weekend and would've like to have seen him look a bit more like a champ.

to be honest i thought the fight at the weekend was pretty average overall! neither looked like they wanted to take any risks! and i think taylor was just happy to stay on his feet! win or loose!
Totally agree mate.

I'm not too sure I agree that Trinidad even in his prime would have beaten Pavlik.
Trinidad had a hell of a punch at welter, not at middle weight,on the other hand Pavlick has a legitimate power punch at middle weight , I say pavlik would have handle trinidad pretty much the same way Winky did in his prime, now I say Pavlik blows him away inside 3 rounds no doudt...
Fair points mate for the most part, but I think Winky is a vastly superior technician than Pavlik. I think a prime Trinidad even at middleweight would have far to much ring craft for Pavlik and I don’t think Pavlik would connect with the right hand and as a result I think Trinidad would win on points via a UD. But of course if the right hand landed it would go the way you have said.

The odd thing is even now I think Trinidad would give Pavlik a fight at middleweight as long as he got in the right mental frame of mind for taking the fight on, in terms of getting it right in the training camp and really boxing Kelly as opposed to just chumping it and picking up a pay cheque. I know most people will disagree with that of course and that is fine, but I felt I saw enough in the Jones fight to tell me that at the lower middleweight he could compete with the skills he has as long as he got the attitude right in training and at the fight….

If Trinidad goes in now for a pay cheque though I definitely agree he gets a right hand that puts him into retirement.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
In my opinion Titos career has run it's course and now he's trying to squeek out a few more paid days, all thoug I found the fight against RJ entertaining, it was plain to see that Mr RJ is also way past his prime and is nowhere near Pavlic's physical state, Tito likes to move forward I think this would play directly into Pavlik's style and with his reach and height avantage he'll eventually blast Trinidad into permanent retirement. My final word on this subjet is that Pavlik is going to be fed another name for his record, hopefully Papa trinidad will be more compasionate this time around and wont allow Titos brains to get scramble

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm not a fan at all.

I think he is a laboured linear fighter.

He just seems to come forward in straight lines and throw straight shots.

Does anyone think he would do anything at super middleweight?

I could be wrong but to me he doesn't look anywhere near as quick or powerful as Kessler who seems a similar fighter.

I also think that had he fough Calzaghe he would have got the same treatment Kessler and Lacy got.

I just don't rate Pavlik much, he can bang and has a decent stiff jab, but beyond that....

What are the feelings about what he will do and take on next? If he does fight Trinidad, what do you think will happen?

P.S

I think a young Trinidad at middleweight would win a UD, but I don't know if Trinidad is just looking for a couple of paydays now....

Agree with most of that. Not to take anything away from him, he is a world champion and deserves to be, but his arsenal of shots is very limited. I thought Taylor had him there for the taking and just didn't finish the fight. I think the fight showed that head movement is the key. Pavlik has shown in the past he can throw that right cross straight through the guard but Taylor totally took the punch out of the equation with a bit of movement.

Considering how easily Taylor landed shots, and the volume of punches Calzaghe throws, I think Calzaghe would win every round if they met.

Kessler would be a quality fight and to be honest I think Kessler would probably take it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have to agree. I was a bit disappointed, Pavlik looked slow and ponderous. He literally beat Jermain with the jab, and not that convincingly. He did show he could box for 12 though.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Mikkel Kessler would knockout pavlik. A jab would befundle pavlik. A non agressive taylor almost beat him throwing 10 jabs a round. I'm a fan of pavlik, but eventually, we will hear the words ( he was exposed )

·
Registered
808 Posts
Mikkel Kessler would knockout pavlik. A jab would befundle pavlik. A non agressive taylor almost beat him throwing 10 jabs a round. I'm a fan of pavlik, but eventually, we will hear the words ( he was exposed )
I agree Kessler would knock pavlik out , as he would throw many more punches than Jermain did , and wont gas out late. I think if jermain would have thrown more punches he wouldve won the rematch , he just got out worked.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Lets not forget that Taylor had two shots, and yes he was better but still couldn't do it. He figured out how to block the right hand and that's what got him through. Pavlik faced a very good jab in Taylor and was not discouraged, I doubt Kessler has a better one. I think it's Pavliks jab that would upset Kessler.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Lets not forget that Taylor had two shots, and yes he was better but still couldn't do it. He figured out how to block the right hand and that's what got him through. Pavlik faced a very good jab in Taylor and was not discouraged, I doubt Kessler has a better one. I think it's Pavliks jab that would upset Kessler.
I cant agree Kessler is alot more aggressive than Taylor was i think Kesler work rate would win him the fight. Pavlik has no defense and would end getting knocked out i think.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well That's possible, but If Kessler is real aggressive he has no defense either. It just goes with it. I haven't seen him fight enough to really determine who would win.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Before we start talking this let Pavlik defend his middleweight title a few times. If this fight ever happens I couldn't see it happening until late 2009

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Im so happy about the Kessler love!!!!! Lot of you guys are more confident in him than me ^^

I believe that Kessler would win a decision by landing more jabs and i think hes the physicly stronger guy with more boxing skills. Kessler style is very european and he keeps his hand really high but his jab and straight hand or 1-2 like its called is one of the best ive seen in recent years, my only worries is that Pavlik exposes Kesslers chin and stops him but i think Kessler defense is good enough.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Kessler would be physically stronger, the one possessing a larger arsenal of punches and probably the better defense...

Pavlik would be the taller with more reach, would be the agressor.

The problem with Kessler against Pavlik is that he would eat many jabs from Pavlik, because just like Taylor in the first time, he needs to move his head some more, even though Kessler keeps his hands up properly his defense isnt as tight as RJJ's or Winky's so he would eventually get caught by palik's double jab that spreads his opponents arms. Also, Kessler was countered plenty times in the Calzaghe fight, specially when he jabbed. Eating jabs means he would eat right hands.
now, the great thing about it is that Kessler also has a great jab and he would land it just like JT did, and he would follow that with a right hand just like he always does.
Resuming, both would end up eating eachotehrs righthands all night. Kessler has a bettter arsenal than pavlik, he can use uppercuts and verygood hooks, and he is the better boxer wich means hes the one able to set up a 1-2 and jump backwards avoiding punches like hes shown in his last fights.
Kelly in the other hand would be the one pressing the fight and backing up the opponent, and Kessler didnt look so good being backed up by Calzaghe in the midrounds.

OK, I think that would be a terrific fight, I dont want to predict anything because its too hard to say.. Terrific matchup

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
just an interesting thing I found
- Calzaghe, on Pavlik : "I'd stop him from jabbing with my movement and my workrate would wear him down late on. I don't see [Pavlik] beating Mikkel Kessler [whom Calzaghe defeated in November] because he wouldn't have the punching power to hurt him but I think he could be effective at super middle. He showed that last night [by] boxing just a few pounds under the super middleweight limit."

1 - 20 of 39 Posts