Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who wins?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old saying goes that when you're learning to ride a bike and you fall off - the only way to get going again is to get right back on the bike.

Well, Mike Pavlik, the father and co-manager of middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik and Jack Loew, his outspoken trainer, are on the same page in that regard. Both men say they want to see Kelly back in the ring sooner rather than later - and that there is no time to sit around and cry over spilt milk.

Pavlik, 34-1 (30KOs), lost his undefeated record and was soundly thrashed by Bernard Hopkins last month in Atlantic City in a 170-pound catch-weight bout.

But rather than stew over what could have been – both father and trainer are of the opinion that it's time to go back to work.

The tentative plan currently in the works is to have Pavlik return on February 21st with a title defense in Youngstown, Ohio against #1 WBC contender Marco Antonio Rubio of Mexico. The 28 year-old Rubio is no slouch and has an experienced record of 43-4-1 (37KOs). The fight would be televised by HBO.

"We don't want Kelly to stay inactive for too long," said Mike Pavlik. "February would be good. By then he should be ready to go and ready to get back at it."

While a pessimist could find plenty not to like about what happened in the Hopkins fight, the good news is that Pavlik is still the middleweight champ of the WBC & WBO, he is still young (only 26) and he is still a very marketable commodity - especially in his home state of Ohio.

"I think it would be a great thing," said Loew of a homecoming fight in Youngstown. "It would be good for Kelly to see how much the fans are really behind him. It would give them a chance to support Kelly."

Pavlik's promoter, Bob Arum of Las Vegas-based Top Rank, is aiming for the comeback bout to take place at the Chevrolet Centre in Youngstown. Pavlik last fought at the venue when he knocked out Lenord Pierre two years ago.

"A long time ago we said we'd like to have Kelly defend the titles in Youngstown," said Arum. "We want Kelly to fight in his hometown and we feel this will get some of his confidence back for his future fights."

For his part, Pavlik has remained quiet since the loss to Hopkins and hasn't spoken much, if at all, to the boxing press. Telephone calls to him seeking comment have not been returned.

Immediately after the Hopkins loss he was heavily critical of his own performance and said, "I felt like a sub-novice in there."

But whatever the case, Mike Pavlik believes that a homecoming is just the ticket to get back and get the Pavlik ship righted and sailing full steam ahead once again.

"I believe that in coming back to Youngstown, it will help him get his confidence back," said his father.
Source: Pavlik's Father & Jack Loew Want Kelly Back in The Ring - Boxing News

G

·
As much as this fight disinterests me, Pavlik could have done much worse than fight his "mandatory" who is, like the article says, "no slouch". There's no way that Pavlik loses to Rubio, expecially in his hometown and it's a nice chance to knock off one of your pesky mandatories that are always trying to get fights with you. I think from a Pavlik perspective it's a good choice. From a fan's persepctive it's not very inspiring.

G

·
Pavlik will win by early-mid round KO and shake off that Hopkins defeat. After that the Abraham fight has to happen.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Kelly will stop him in 5 or less IMO based only on what I saw from Rubio on Oct 18. I hope Abraham will fight Sturm early next year as I see Sturm is now calling out for the fight. then around mid june we can have Pavlik/Abraham for the middleweight super-champion. sounds pretty good to me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd pick PAvlik all day against Rubio. Rubio is tough but what would be his fight, is PAvlik's best fight too. They will come to each other and trade punches, Pavlik is better.
Agreed, it's like the perfect bounce back opponent after the BHOP Loss, and that it takes care of his WBC Mandatory Defense of his MW Title at the same time, is just Gravy on top of it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have a lot of respect for Rubio has he is tough as nails and is a really crowd pleasing fighter. It's especially impressive that he's twice been able to bounce back from very tough losses. Especially in the case of that devastating first round knockout at the hands of Kofi Jantuah on the Hopkins/De La Hoya undercard then in back to back decision losses to Kassim Ouma under De La Hoya/Mayorga and then to a nondescript Ukrainian. Since that last defeat in '06, he has reeled off nine straight wins (7 by KO) over pretty fair competition. All that being said, I thought Enrique Ornelas won that eliminator, so it should be him getting the shot. Either way, at this point it's pretty much academic. As was mentioned above, I believe both are made to order for Pavlik and despite their durability, either fight shouldn't go the distance barring a slip-up.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
This is all I found:

It's got 8 parts unfortunately.

Marco Antonio Rubio vs. Enrique Ornelas
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting pt.8
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting pt.7
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting pt.6
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting pt.5
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting pt.4
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting pt.3
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting pt.2
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting pt.1

No guarantees that they work as I did not create them myself.
Thanks bro. I ordered a copy of the PPV since I was at the fight, but it only included the main event. I really enjoyed this one even though it was sort of overlooked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts