• No, thats why he's ducking him.

Votes: 6 35.3%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pavlik: No offer from Calzaghe!

WBC and WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik has denied claims that he turned down the opportunity to fight Joe Calzaghe. Pavlik, who takes on Bernard Hopkins on the 18th of October, has said that no approach from the Calzaghe camp was ever made. In an interview on Setanta Sports News during Steve Bunce's Boxing Hour Pavlik said "I don't know why they keep throwing my name out there. They never ever offered us the fight. Calzaghe? Never. Calzaghe and his dad keep throwing shots at me for no reason. He has Roy Jones Junior in front of him. The chances of him getting past Roy Jones are very slim. There might not be any talk of me and Calzaghe in the future. If he doesn't get past Jones, there's no point in me fighting him."

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
I personally don't think there ever was an offer because Pavlik was a hungry person and if the oppurtunity to take on the number 1 SMW in the world wanted to fight you, do you really think he'd turn it down?

Calzaghe is full of shyt and IF he gets past Roy Jones Jr.. then I would love to see Pavlik knock him out.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

WBC and WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik has denied claims that he turned down the opportunity to fight Joe Calzaghe. Pavlik, who takes on Bernard Hopkins on the 18th of October, has said that no approach from the Calzaghe camp was ever made. In an interview on Setanta Sports News during Steve Bunce's Boxing Hour Pavlik said "I don't know why they keep throwing my name out there. They never ever offered us the fight. Calzaghe? Never. Calzaghe and his dad keep throwing shots at me for no reason. He has Roy Jones Junior in front of him. The chances of him getting past Roy Jones are very slim. There might not be any talk of me and Calzaghe in the future. If he doesn't get past Jones, there's no point in me fighting him."
Bravo! Him bringing that up almost gave me goosebumps.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me, pavlik isn't the type of guy to lie. So I believe everything he would say. Bhop is a more dangerous fight than calzaghe. I doubt he would of turned down a calzaghe offer, that is if there was one.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Agree with everyone. There's no way Pavlik or his camp run from any challenge. Calzaghe, on the other hand, has been known to do it with regularity. He can't put all of the blame on Frank Warren. I'd love to see Pavlik knock his block off.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Kelly Pavlik of all people running......from CALZAGHE???? Naaah

I beleive that Pavlik would fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. He shows no fear and he's probably the most hungry boxer in the game right now. He went toe to toe with hard punching Miranda and KOd JT. I always place this question out: Who has Calzaghe beaten (clearly)? I don't beleive anyone is afraid of fighting Calzaghe. Another point I would like to add, is that Pav just defeated Zuniga for the vacant NABF title at the time, so why would Cal go from fighting Lacy to a guy no one has heard of (at the time) in the then NABF Champ Kelly Pavlik??? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I agree with Pav, he states it like it is. And you know he's a REAL fighter if a guy like B-Hop can't say anything bad about him and respects this man.

G

·

A while he said he "wouldn't be surprised" if Jones won. Now the chances of him beating Jones are "very slim". I'm not going to bad mouth Pavlik because I like him and this is just two fighters talking trash to build a fight. If Pavlik beats Hopkins like he should then all the pressure will be on Joe to fight him, and he will. If Pavlik loses to Hopkins then Calzaghe will probably retire. That's why Calzaghe hasn't came out and said this will definitely be his last fight. He'll fight Pavlik without a doubt if both guys win their respective fights.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Another thread meant to be hate for Calzaghe:laugh: I love how guys who used to be fans of Calzaghe have changed so dramatically just because they've found new 'homies' that don't like Calzaghe...

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I voted no because Calzaghe has shown no interest in fighting Pavlik. He would make a lot less money against Pavlik than he will against Jones so I can see why he would decide to retire.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thread meant to be hate for Calzaghe:laugh: I love how guys who used to be fans of Calzaghe have changed so dramatically just because they've found new 'homies' that don't like Calzaghe...
Not a thread for hate on calzaghe. And the fact that you think oppions change about a fighter based on homies is a bit ludicrous. I'm still a huge calzaghe fan, I just dont think he wants any part of pavlik now that he's 36 yeras old.

G

·
Not a thread for hate on calzaghe. And the fact that you think oppions change about a fighter based on homies is a bit ludicrous. I'm still a huge calzaghe fan, I just dont think he wants any part of pavlik now that he's 36 yeras old.
show me one shred of evidence of this false accusation and then we can discuss it, until then its crap:laugh:

Joke lance,i agree, ive never said much nice about calzaghe here and i not going to start not. I really think though, at 36, Pavlik is the wrong fight for calzaghe and dont think he would fancy it.

Its not like he really fancied fighting top fighters in their prime before so cant see why he will start at this stage.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
show me one shred of evidence of this false accusation and then we can discuss it, until then its crap:laugh:

Joke lance,i agree, ive never said much nice about calzaghe here and i not going to start not. I really think though, at 36, Pavlik is the wrong fight for calzaghe and dont think he would fancy it.

Its not like he really fancied fighting top fighters in their prime before so cant see why he will start at this stage.
The post was opinion based, not factual based. I'm not mad at calzaghe fighting roy. I can't wait for that fight. I just feel that Pavlik/Calzaghe was the more demanded fight by the public ( not me ) and calzaghe didn't want it as much as pavlik. This stuff happens. Pavlik is in his prime, calzaghe is not

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
All these plans for Pavlik, dont forget a certain gentleman from Philadelphia
named Mr Bernard Hopkins might just put a spanner in his works before then

·
Registered
57 Posts
kelly has no reason to fear joe, he is stronger and younger, all he need is to be patient and the openings will be there, he can hurt joe bad all he needs to do is wait and pounce and not stop untill joe cant get up anymore

·
Registered
57 Posts
C.J rock makes an excellent post. kelly point your head at the man in front of you before hyping up a joe fight I remember a certain edison glass jaw miranda doing the same untill you checked him back into reality dont get off track and focus hommie Bhop is no sloach

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm getting sick of hearing this crap from Joe. He should be hypeing up his fight with Roy, period. When it comes to Kelly, all I care about is Oct 18. that's it. I don't care about possible fights with Calzaghe or Abraham right now. All I wanna hear is how Pavlik's gonna bring a ass whooping on Bernard. nothing else.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.