Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

It was recently revealed by Goossen-Tutor that Top Rank turned down a possible bout between WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams vs. WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik. Williams was willing to move up by two weight classes to make the fight. Williams is seen as a welterweight freak due to his physical dimensions. He stands at a near 6'3 and has the reach of a heavyweight.

Talks between Dan Goossen and Bob Arum were said to have gone well, but the figures presented would have left Williams with barely any money in the bank.

A spokesperson for Goossen-Tutor issued the following statement on the Pavlik-Williams negotiations:

"Even though Williams has zero problem making 147 pounds, he and his trainer (George Petersen) were enthusiastic on the possibility of fighting Pavlik at 160 pounds and making a big fight for the industry. Discussions with Bob Arum were positive, except after all the substraction of dollars there was no money left for Williams. Williams gives up 13 pounds; gives up height; gives up strength; gives up power...oh and gives up money...the one thing he doesn't give up is his heart...that's why Pavlik/Top Rank said "No Deal"...maybe Paul should pick on someone his own size in the welterweight division...this is a classic example of why we call him the "most feared man in boxing" rather than "the most feared man in the welterweight division"...even the middleweights shy away."

"What happened to the real champions like Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, and Duran? They never looked to avoid a big challenge, especially when they had real champions willing to fight right in front of them? Maybe Bob doesn't want Williams to clear house at Top Rank. Margarito was first; Pavlik was Williams next choice to make his second Top Rank victim; and for the Trifecta its Cotto or bust (if he beats the man that Williams already beat in Margarito). Maybe Bob isn't so crazy after all?"

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Come on, a 147 guy against a 160+ guy ?

Paul williams needs to move up a little slower than that. Plus...against Pavlik?? He must be nuts. I think he has a decent chin, but hes never fought anyone with near that power. Plus Pavlik always uses his height and reach effectively. Williams would have to show MUCH more discipline to win a fight like that. He has better handspeed but not as much power or as good defense.

I think Pavlik would absolutely BLOW HIS DOORS OFF if they fought within a year.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Ehh, I'm going to go ahead and call it. BS.

Williams and his handlers know better. Pavlik walks right through him.
Defenetly way too soon, for Williams that is, he needs to test his mentle and work his way up, right now Pavlick would destroy and ruin his carrer, don't these handlers know better, if I were Williams I'be a little suspicious why they want to push so hard $$$$$$$$$$ ? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Williams has a lot of opinions at Welter right now coming off a great showing against Quintana. I find it surprising he wants to go after Kelly. what a mismatch right now this fight is. Shane has it right, Pavlik stops him 4 rounds or less.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The old saying pick on somebody your own size might not be the best way of looking at things for P-Will. He's got the body of a light heavyweight and the reach of George Foreman, but he doesn't have the power to match wits with guys like Pavlik or any of the other big hitters from 160-175, despite what he did to Quintana in their rematch. He'd be well-advised to stay put at 147 or settle in to 154 for as long as he can safely make weight because once he moves up, all of those advantages he's had as a rangy welterweight will be diminished, if not disappear completely.

G

·
I think Williams should stay at 147 for the mean time. It's not like it's a light division. He's more chance against Cotto than he does against Pavlik, and that's saying something.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Ant (UK): So Kelly Pavlik turned down a fight with Paul Williams, who the hell thought that fight would be a good idea?

SportsNation Dan Rafael: (12:51 PM ET ) Let's get things clear: Williams camp asked for like $2 million or $2.5 million, which means they didn't really want to fight Pavlik. Pavlik made $2.5 to fight Lockett. Where is the money coming from to pay Williams that crazy amount? So if not saying yes to a loony purse request means Pavlik "turned him down" so be it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts