Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Mark Vester

Mike Pavlik, father and co-manager of WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, was brutally honest when discussing his son's one-sided decision loss to Bernard Hopkins, which took place last Saturday in Atlantic City. He told Joe Scalzo of the Vindicator that he knew something was wrong with his son after a few rounds and by the seventh, when Hopkins was showboating with bolo punches and landing combination after combination - he was looking for someone in the corner to throw in the towel - fearing for his son's safety.

He says Kelly Pavlik took antibiotics on October 14 after being diagnosed with bronchitis only days before the fight. There was also the left elbow injury that he suffered during camp, which leaked to the media - a leak that angered a lot of the Pavlik camp members. The left elbow injury caused him to miss days of sparring and go lighter on some workouts. Mike Pavlik sat his son down on October 9 to hold a serious discussion about postponing the fight due to the elbow injury - his son ruled against it. For the next four days, Pavlik received therapy sessions twice a day on the elbow.

According to Pavlik's father, if his son is not able to come back strong, then he should retire.

“We all learned a good lesson,” said Mike Pavlik. “We know now that if he’s not completely healthy, we shouldn’t go ahead with the fight. He’s a tough kid and I think he’ll come back with a vengeance. If not, then it’s time for him to retire.”

Pavlik's trainer, Jack Loew, told the paper that everyone on the team agreed to move forward with the fight, and now they all have to live with it.

“If they wanted to postpone the fight, they should have,” said Loew. “As a team, we made a decision and we have to live with it. It’s our stupid [selves] who put him in the ring and we learned a valuable lesson. I don’t care if it’s a four-round preliminary fight or a world championship fight. If my fighter isn’t 100 percent healthy, we’re not going to go.”

G

·
Give me a break. I'm much more of a Pavlik fan than a Hopkins fan, but above all, I'm a boxing fan and there are no excuses in boxing. All of Pavlik's camp/family should stop performing quality control and just move on. It's just one loss. If Pavlik can beat Arthur Abraham next summer, everything will be forgotten. So, Pavlik's camp/family should focus on that and not the past cause it's not going to anything but make their fighter look stupid.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Sitting there in the crowd, and no, I still haven't watched the whole fight on tape, I never thought he was in enough danger to warrant throwing in the towel or the ref stepping in. I didn't think any of those shots came close to doing the damage that Jermain Taylor's second round blitzkrieg did. Yes, there was an accumulation of unanswered punches, but I didn't find myself being worried about the toll they would take on him long term and, as engrossed as I get in my fight watching, I always keep that in mind.

G

·
The fight was a domination. The reason that there was no reason to stop the fight was because the amount of damage Pavlik was taking wasn't the alarming part. What was alarming is that I don't think that Pavlik landed more than one or two power shots flush the entire fight.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Excuses. Pavlik's trainers said before the fight that the elbow was nothing. They said at 170 he was comfortable, hitting harder, eating more and everything was great. Yet as soon the fight ends the excuses will come rolling in. Pavlik was a one dimensional banger who was exposed by Hopkins. Pavlik can still beat/KO most Middleweights (although ATM, I give Abraham the edge) but he met somebody a **** **** **** load smarter then him and was clowned.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fight was a domination. The reason that there was no reason to stop the fight was because the amount of damage Pavlik was taking wasn't the alarming part. What was alarming is that I don't think that Pavlik landed more than one or two power shots flush the entire fight.
That was the same for me as well. Pavlik never came close to landing his best shot.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
That was the same for me as well. Pavlik never came close to landing his best shot.
Prof Hopkins took Kelly to school stop making excuses its too late for that

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Yeap is a lesson well learned now it's time to move on , if they wanted keep it quiet before they should keep it quiet now, makes no sense crying over spilled milk, it was alot of money and bottom line they did'nt want to take a chance on loosing it .......

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Pavlik is making no exucses himself.

This is yet ANOTHER thread related to this fight. We don't need anymore.
Why not Shane all the threads are busy , no one is causing disruption
obviously its what the members want to discuss

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Excuses. Pavlik's trainers said before the fight that the elbow was nothing. They said at 170 he was comfortable, hitting harder, eating more and everything was great. Yet as soon the fight ends the excuses will come rolling in. Pavlik was a one dimensional banger who was exposed by Hopkins. Pavlik can still beat/KO most Middleweights (although ATM, I give Abraham the edge) but he met somebody a **** **** **** load smarter then him and was clowned.
I think Abraham has the edge right now as well

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Why not Shane all the threads are busy , no one is causing disruption
obviously its what the members want to discuss
It is not me dude. It is forum policy. Similar threads are supposed to be merged. I have to take the blame when similar threads are found and not merged during a time that I have been active. It is nothing against you guys. I'm just doing what I have been told to do man. You understand don't you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts