Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Boxingscene.com:

It appears the mouthwatering slugfest between super middleweights Mikkel Kessler and Edison Miranda, scheduled for May 24 and televised by Showtime - is off.

Dan Rafael spoke with Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing, which promotes Miranda and promoter Lou DiBella, who brokered the deal for Kessler's promoter Mogens Palle - and neither had a reason as to why Kessler withdrew from the fight. According to Rafael, both sides agreed to a deal on March 14, and then on Wednesday, Kessler's agent, Michael Marley, told Showtime that the fight was off.

"The Kessler people haven't given me an explanation," Margules said. I'm outraged. If their explanation is that we didn't meet their deal points, I have their points in writing. Everything was in the contract that they asked for. They wanted it to be a 10-round fight. We gave them that because they wouldn't even discuss a 12-rounder. They insisted on all sorts of things and we gave them everything."

Kessler was to be paid 400,000 Euros (approximately $600,000 U.S.) and Palle would retain the television rights in Scandinavia, Germany and other territories.

"They took the fight and then they backed out," Margules said. "We had a deal in writing, and although it was not signed yet, we all said, 'We have a deal.' Showtime even had the fight on its Web site. Everything was worked out and my fighter was in camp. And then, no fight."

DiBella told Rafael that he was equally disgusted with the outcome.

"I was dealing with Mogens Palle and Mike Marley. I should have expected no less," DiBella said. "I found this fight for Kessler at the request of Mogens and I spent a lot of time working on it. We sent them a contract reflecting everything they asked for. But then Mike wouldn't take my calls for a week and Mogens has been ill."

"No one ever came back with comments on the contract and then Mike called [Showtime's] Ken Hershman directly and blamed me, saying the contract didn't reflect the deal. Then Ken asked him why they never came back with comments on the contract and Mike changed his tune and said that Kessler had some other opportunity for a world title fight. Which is it?"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
I'll reserve any judgment untill ive heard what team Kessler have to say on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean, seing as Miranda was mouthing off that Kessler was refusing to fight him about a week before everyone said that the fight was going to happen. It sounds like he's using the media to pressure the fight into coming to fruition. Which is a Junior Witter tactic if ever i saw one :laugh:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
He shall now be dubbed Edison "witter" Miranda instead of Edison "pantera" Miranda. :laugh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Kessler is really punking out right now. Thats sad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Its true and itsa shame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
Kessler has been installed as mandatory for Mundine's title, he most likely stands to make more money fighting Mundine in Australia and will get a title from it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Kessler has been installed as mandatory for Mundine's title, he most likely stands to make more money fighting Mundine in Australia and will get a title from it.
I hope he goes that route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
Well, its practically for the full WBA title since Calzaghe is going to be vacating very soon. I agree he'll beat Mundine handily again, but alot of people think Mundine has improved alot since then and has the tools to beat Kessler. If the fight comes off i got Kessler by TKO this time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Kessler dropped out of this fight so his next fight better be bigger than the Miranda fight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,505 Posts
Yeah. There's also a rumour flying around that Kessler might step-up to 175 and fight Hugo Garay for the vacant WBA title, that would setup a fight with RJJ as he is the mandatory for that title.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,687 Posts
Well, its practically for the full WBA title since Calzaghe is going to be vacating very soon. I agree he'll beat Mundine handily again, but alot of people think Mundine has improved alot since then and has the tools to beat Kessler. If the fight comes off i got Kessler by TKO this time.
Yeah I know, but that is because WBA elevated Kessler as "WBA super champion" before he lost to calzaghe, Mundine and somebody fought for the "regular" vacant WBA then..what a bunch of ..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Yeah. There's also a rumour flying around that Kessler might step-up to 175 and fight Hugo Garay for the vacant WBA title, that would setup a fight with RJJ as he is the mandatory for that title.
They dont need that for a fight with RJJ. A good showing against Miranda could setup a fight with RJJ.
 

·
tellin' it like it is
Joined
·
18,612 Posts
damn. i was looking forward to seeing miranda and kessler go at it, but if kessler feels mundine' belt is the more valuable option he's going to do what he feels. team kessler could've just waited things out as opposed to verbally accepting the fight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
damn. i was looking forward to seeing miranda and kessler go at it, but if kessler feels mundine' belt is the more valuable option he's going to do what he feels. team kessler could've just waited things out as opposed to verbally accepting the fight.
Yes they could have. Thats why I think its more behind it than him wanting Mundines belt.
 
1 - 20 of 139 Posts
Top