Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WBA super-middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler is heading to New York to seek a clash with the winner of Joe Calzaghe v Roy Jones, who clash on 8 November.

"Soon I will leave for the States," said the Dane after his fearsome three-round demolition of Danilo Haeussler.

"I hope to get a new match as soon as possible and if Bernard Hopkins, Kelly Pavlik, Calzaghe or one of the other top contenders are ready, I'm ready.

"Calzaghe told me he did not want a rematch but I'm still hoping."

Kessler, 29, lost his WBA and WBC titles against Calzaghe last November, but won back the vacant WBA belt against Dimitri Sartison in June.

606: DEBATE
Should Kessler get a rematch with Calzaghe?
The Calzaghe defeat at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium remains the only defeat in the Dane's 42-fight career, with 31 of his wins coming through stoppages.

Calzaghe himself - who faces Jones at Madison Square Garden - has insisted that his 12-round win over Kessler was one of the toughest of his career and that the Dane is underrated in the US.

The undefeated Welshman, 36, says he expects the Jones fight to be his last, and if he were to carry on Kessler is unlikely to be the most attractive bout financially.

Bernard Hopkins - who Calzaghe defeated on points in Las Vegas in April - has also promised to be ringside at the Garden.

His stock has risen rapidly after this month's demolition of Pavlik, and "the Executioner" says he is desperate for a rematch with Calzaghe next year, with the Millennium Stadium mooted as a potential venue.
What do you guys think about it? Calzaghe would never take it, he beat him cleanly. Hopkins wants a big money fight and Kessler doesn't offer that. Jones Jr will probably fight Hopkins or Dawson. Pavlik has a tune up against Rubio and then he'll fight Abraham. Thats my take.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I dont see any of these guys fighting him. Pavlik would try fighting at a higher weight again this soon, and the rest wont take it because of money reasons.

Kessler should focus on ruling the 168 division, take care of Bute and the rest. Who knows, Jermain Taylor is also a pretty good fight out there for him.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
like Megarodon said, the first thing that came to my mind was Taylor. that's the fight he should be after. him or Bute. it'll be hard for him to land the one's he stated.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Well im glad to hear hes aiming high altho hes aiming abit too high, im just glad to know that hes thinkin about going to the states, hopefully 09 will be a big year for him :)

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
What do you guys think about it? Calzaghe would never take it, he beat him cleanly. Hopkins wants a big money fight and Kessler doesn't offer that. Jones Jr will probably fight Hopkins or Dawson. Pavlik has a tune up against Rubio and then he'll fight Abraham. Thats my take.
No chance. Maybe Pavlik will fight him in about a year. I don't think there's any way he'll fight Hopkins, Jones or Calzaghe.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Kessler should fight Bute (if the Andrade rematch doesn't happen) but he needs to do it on neutral ground in the States, he'll probably be robbed if he goes to Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I would love to see a Kessler and Pavlik fight. Not sure if Kessler would drop down to 160 which is where I would like to see Kelly fight at from now on.

G

·
After Calzaghe outclassed him, Kessler is going to have to do more than beat Haussler before he gets a match with one of those guys.

G

·
I do. It wasn't a beatdown by any means but I think it was clear who the better fighter was. Calzaghe beat him to the punch all night. It was an obvious unanimous decision.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I think of outclass as when the guy gets beat and you end up thinking a lot less of him after. I almost had more respect for the guy after his fight with Calzaghe.

G

·
It wasn't that I lost respect for Kessler as much as I gained respect for Calzaghe. Kessler is a very good fighter and Calzaghe left no doubt in anyone's mind who was the superior fighter. So, I still stand by my statement that Kessler isn't getting those big names until he beats someone of note. (Jermain Taylor?).

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
It wasn't that I lost respect for Kessler as much as I gained respect for Calzaghe. Kessler is a very good fighter and Calzaghe left no doubt in anyone's mind who was the superior fighter. So, I still stand by my statement that Kessler isn't getting those big names until he beats someone of note. (Jermain Taylor?).
So he has to beat someone of note before he fights someone of note? I think even without fighting the big names he has proven he can stand in the ring and put on a good fight. Thats just me though.

G

·
So he has to beat someone of note before he fights someone of note? I think even without fighting the big names he has proven he can stand in the ring and put on a good fight. Thats just me though.
It's not just about who can stand in the ring. It's about money and marketability. Until Kessler beats someone noteworthy the money isn't there to warrant a fight with Pavlik, Jones, Calzaghe or Hopkins.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts