Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Khan to face alex arthur for super featherweight title?

By Mark Vester

WBO super featherweight champion Alex Arthur has learned that he will defend his title against former British and Commonwealth champion Nicky Cook on September 6 at Manchester's MEN Arena. A win over Cook would set up a potential meeting with Commonwealth lightweight champ Amir Khan, who will see action in the main event.

Richard Maynard told The Scotsman that Frank Warren tried to secure Marco Antonio Barrera for Arthur. They were not able to get the fight done.

"We tried very hard to get American-based ring legend Marco Antonio Barrera for Alex as a first title defence but that fell through so Alex will now fight Nicky Cook," Maynard said. "But we know that Nicky is a quality fighter who can test Alex Arthur. Frank Warren has also told Alex that, if he sees off the challenge of Nicky Cook successfully, then Arthur could face Bolton's Commonwealth lightweight champion Amir Khan, in a WBO title defence in what would be a great England v. Scotland fight that the fans would love. But first Arthur must meet and beat Nicky Cook on September 6 in Manchester for that to become a reality."

Arthur told the paper that he's happy to finally know the name of his opponent and can now proceed with a proper training camp. He will have former champ Wayne McCullough helping him along with the fight.

"Now I know who I'll be defending against I can plan my training regime accordingly," Arthur said. "I will take nothing for granted against Cook – who has been there and done it title-wise – although I look forward to retaining my WBO title against him. In this connection, I'm planning to go to Cyprus for ten days to work out with my conditioning coach, John Watson, to ensure that I'm absolutely sharp for Cook in September. I also plan to have Irish former world super-bantamweight champion Wayne McCullough in my corner, as before, against Nicky Cook."

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
ok i understand that frank wants amir to be a multiple weight champ, but putting him up against one of his own guys is bad, but at super featherweight is ridiculous lol.

the guy would have to chop off a leg to make super featherweight. i mean he has to really dehydrate to make lightweight ffs. people have been saying that the brain doesn't fair well if you have to lose so much liquids and thus your chin becomes worse. bad news for khan imo if it happens

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I always knew Con wasn't serious about facing tougher opposition. He just proved it by re-signing with Warren

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i understand that frank wants amir to be a multiple weight champ, but putting him up against one of his own guys is bad, but at super featherweight is ridiculous lol.

the guy would have to chop off a leg to make super featherweight. i mean he has to really dehydrate to make lightweight ffs. people have been saying that the brain doesn't fair well if you have to lose so much liquids and thus your chin becomes worse. bad news for khan imo if it happens
Arthur would step up to Lightweight to make it happen. And that makes it even worse IMO :thumbsdown:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
That sucks.
I think guys like Calzaghe would have had a much more brilliant career if it werent for bad management from Warren.

Sad day for Khan fans. This means he wont be fighting anyone legit until about 2015

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Looks like he doesnt want to leave the nest... He needs it a bit, his chin is suspect and his defense has lots of flaws..

G

·
Khan has made a big mistake signing with Warren. He should have teamed up with Hatton at Goldenboy. He does seem insistant that he wants a world title fight very soon so maybe it's not all bad.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I always knew Con wasn't serious about facing tougher opposition. He just proved it by re-signing with Warren
I totally agree. After getting knocked down by Drilzane and Limond (Who aren't even punchers) and then Gomez who was shot, Warren is going to badly protect him cuz of his shitty chin and then set him up for a clash with the WBO vacant title next year.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Everyone knew this would happen. Khan can talk all he wants, but hes happy to make a tidy sum of cash and fight bums for the near future. I expect FW to take him down the same route as he did Hatton, cash in on dumb Brit fans by fighting 30+ bums before stepping it up to elite level.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Everyone knew this would happen. Khan can talk all he wants, but hes happy to make a tidy sum of cash and fight bums for the near future. I expect FW to take him down the same route as he did Hatton, cash in on dumb Brit fans by fighting 30+ bums before stepping it up to elite level.
I still say the biggest mistake Khan has made was dumping trainer Oliver Harrison the way he did. Ive seen it happen so many times the main one being Donald Curry when he left Dave Gorman for Akbar Mohammad
Another one being Bernard Hopkins, I think he lost somethin when he dropped Bouie Fisher. Khan is setting himself up for a possible fall by not having a long time trainer

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I still say the biggest mistake Khan has made was dumping trainer Oliver Harrison the way he did. Ive seen it happen so many times the main one being Donald Curry when he left Dave Gorman for Akbar Mohammad
Another one being Bernard Hopkins, I think he lost somethin when he dropped Bouie Fisher. Khan is setting himself up for a possible fall by not having a long time trainer
I kind of agree CJ. Khan had some problems early but was coming along nicely under Harrison.. it was a risky move that will either improve Khan immensely or ruin him. The old saying 'Don't fix it if it aint broken' comes to mind.

G

·
But Tom, there were problems. Khan's defense is about as wide as Jenna Jameson after a hard days work. It was something that needed adressed and I think we'll notice an improvement in his overall skills under Roach.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
firstly i heard oliver harrison wanted more money.

secondly khan had a session with roger mayweather and was amazed what he learnt in a few hours.

khan has stated that harrison has not taught him any defence. it is kinda clear since khan has a b level offense at this stage of his career but a d level defence. he does not see wide shots at all.

khan is still young and can learn from now. he's is 21 so can improve. it's find a great trainer now or never and i would think the never would have ended up making him a bum.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Damn I kind of agree here.
Correct. There were well over 10,000 fans at his fight with Gomez. If it is easy money I can't really hate on the guy that much. He has to take care of himself first and foremost.
Everytime you post like this I picture you sitting in a rocking chair telling 4 year olds a story about the "good ol' days."
Ditching Harrison was the best decision Khan has made.
I agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts