Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Khan lines up former champ Rees

Former world champion Gavin Rees is in line to face Amir Khan on 21 June at the Birmingham National Indoor Arena, BBC Sport Wales understands. Rees, 27, lost the first defence of his WBA light-welterweight title to Andreas Kotelnik in Cardiff in March.
But he is on a shortlist to take on Olympic silver medalist Khan, 21, for the Bolton man's Commonwealth lightweight title. An official announcement of Khan's opponent is expected on Tuesday.

Rees's fellow Enzo Calzaghe-trained stable-mate Bradley Pryce will defend his Commonwealth light-middleweight title in the chief support bout in Birmingham. Khan had targeted a showdown with Rees before the Newbridge man's loss to Kotelnik - the only blot on his 28-fight career - as he said he was eager to claim the WBA crown.
Khan has won all 17 of his fights, with 13 knock-outs, and will tower seven inches above the 5ft 3ins Rees. But the Welshman has upset the odds before, his defeat of Souleymane M'Baye for the WBA title in July 2007 stunning the boxing world.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Khan lines up former champ Rees

Former world champion Gavin Rees is in line to face Amir Khan on 21 June at the Birmingham National Indoor Arena, BBC Sport Wales understands. Rees, 27, lost the first defence of his WBA light-welterweight title to Andreas Kotelnik in Cardiff in March.
But he is on a shortlist to take on Olympic silver medalist Khan, 21, for the Bolton man's Commonwealth lightweight title. An official announcement of Khan's opponent is expected on Tuesday.

Rees's fellow Enzo Calzaghe-trained stable-mate Bradley Pryce will defend his Commonwealth light-middleweight title in the chief support bout in Birmingham. Khan had targeted a showdown with Rees before the Newbridge man's loss to Kotelnik - the only blot on his 28-fight career - as he said he was eager to claim the WBA crown.
Khan has won all 17 of his fights, with 13 knock-outs, and will tower seven inches above the 5ft 3ins Rees. But the Welshman has upset the odds before, his defeat of Souleymane M'Baye for the WBA title in July 2007 stunning the boxing world.
khan would destroy ree's,

easy fight for khan if it gets signed!

if anything it would be going back a step.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Not really this would be a good fight for Kahn, beating a former champ. Then after he destroyes Rees he can fight for the title.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Another fighter how can't punch. I always considered Rees garbage. Con will smoke early. 3 rounds. If even that.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Not really this would be a good fight for Kahn, beating a former champ. Then after he destroyes Rees he can fight for the title.
If he goes straight from Rees to any of the LW champs he's gonna get a cold shower of reality. He should fight Santa Cruz or a solid guy like that before trying to win a title.

G

·
It is a strange fight leading up to a world title fight. I would have thought he'd fight someone like Romanov.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Rees sucks. THe fact he ever mentioned fighting Ricky makes me laugh. He would have ended up with broken ribs on the canvas crying like a 7 year old that lost her teddy bear.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
This is another good name thats going to be on Khans record, a former title holder at a higher weight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
what a let down i thought khan might get a decent challenge, this makes me hate warren even more.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Another fighter how can't punch. I always considered Rees garbage. Con will smoke early. 3 rounds. If even that.
Can you explain the whole Con thing? The bloke is an olympic silver medalist, 21 years of age with 17 fights under his belt. I can't understand how he is a con while JCC jnr who has fought 36 nobodies, won nothing and has frequently looked average is a decent fighter/prospect in your book. The fact that he had no amateur career is irrelevant before you mention it. As for his brother, if what people are saying is true he should he should be 8-1.

Khan is far more the real deal than either of them but you still insist on slagging him off at every oppertunity:dunno:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Can you explain the whole Con thing? The bloke is an olympic silver medalist, 21 years of age with 17 fights under his belt. I can't understand how he is a con while JCC jnr who has fought 36 nobodies, won nothing and has frequently looked average is a decent fighter/prospect in your book. The fact that he had no amateur career is irrelevant before you mention it. As for his brother, if what people are saying is true he should he should be 8-1.

Khan is far more the real deal than either of them but you still insist on slagging him off at every oppertunity:dunno:
It is relevant. You're comparing a olympian with a guy who didn't have any amateur fight. I like both fighters by the way.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Chavez had an amatuer career, he fought at Jr level where the fighters can be just as talented as at Sr level. This having no amatuer career is a myph.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It is relevant. You're comparing a olympian with a guy who didn't have any amateur fight. I like both fighters by the way.
That would only serve as further proof that Khan is potentially the real deal while serious question marks remain about Chavez' pedigree.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Thread isn't about Chavez.

I see this two ways. I think this is a good fight for Khan because Rees is a name even though he is absolutely terrible and comingo off of a loss. I think Khan needs to fight someone between Rees' quality and the top guys before jumping in with the elite. Rees will do nothing for Khan. Khan should have him out in 3 or 4 if he jumps on him. Rees can't punch.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
That would only serve as further proof that Khan is potentially the real deal while serious question marks remain about Chavez' pedigree.
JCC jr is being brought along carefully because his people know he needs more experience but Khan is being rushed into a title fight and that's a bad idea. The guy is sharp but I still see a lot of flaws in him. I guess we'll see when they throw him into the lion's den.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
JCC jr is being brought along carefully because his people know he needs more experience but Khan is being rushed into a title fight and that's a bad idea. The guy is sharp but I still see a lot of flaws in him. I guess we'll see when they throw him into the lion's den.
Thats not his point, he's asking how VD is on Chavez nuts but hates Khan with a passion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The reason this fight is happening is mainly the Rees is a warren fighter and easy to book. And also because there are only (i think) 2 fights left on warren's deal with Khan (if the report i heard is true) and he wants to make a bit of money off of him before someone like Golden Boy comes in and turns his head.

Khan beats Rees but he won't look amazing and he'll be overly cautious. And unfortunately we'll have Enzo Calzaghe mouthing off before the fight again. I like his son, and he hasn't done badly for himself, but he's got a hell of a mouth on him.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts