Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amir Khan is desperate for Gavin Rees to beat Andreas Kotelnik in Cardiff on Saturday - so he can challenge for the Welshman's WBA light-welterweight belt.
Rees recently claimed he would give 21-year-old Khan "a pasting" if they ever met in the ring.

"I've never wanted someone to win a fight so much before," said Khan, the Commonwealth lightweight champion.

"I want to be a world champion before the end of the year, and Rees is a realistic target."

Khan, who faces Denmark's Martin Kristjansen in a WBO lightweight title eliminator at the Bolton Arena on 5 April, added: "I badly want Rees to win so I can shut him up once and for all.

"He's a good champion and is only one weight class higher than me, but I'll happily step up and take him on. I'll be too quick and punch too hard for him.

"He's been calling me out for a while now, and I'd love to take him on. I'll even come to Cardiff and beat him in front of his own fans.

"I'm concentrating on my fight with Martin Kristjansen next month, but Rees has got my juices flowing."

The unbeaten Rees, 27, claimed the WBA title from France's Souleymane M'baye last July but his fight against Kotelnik is only his first defence.

The Ukrainian has won 28 of his 31 fights and drew with then title-holder M'baye when the two met in Liverpool last March.

Rees said: "Kotelnik is a good fighter, and I know I'll have my work cut out to beat him.

"But I'm in the shape of my life and ready to go 12 hard rounds against anyone. I don't believe Kotelnik can beat me.

"Khan's been opening his gob a lot recently, but if he does that when he's near me I'll stick my fist straight in it.

"Khan reckons he's Mr Big, but put him in the ring with me and I'll give him a right good pasting. I really believe I'll smash him to pieces.

"After I've sent Kotelnik packing I'll be straight on the phone to our promoter Frank Warren begging him to get the Khan fight done, because I'll knock him out in six rounds."

well to be honest! i reckon Khan would absolutely Ruin Rees- thats if Rees even beats Kotelnik!

and if Khan was to beat ree's we could see a classic Ricky Hatton vs. Khan but i know what will happen there!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think this will happen. Because I don't think that Gavin is going to beat Andreas Kotelnik. I was shocked when he beat M'baye but then I found out that M'Baye is promoted by Frank Warren aswell. I think somethin' is going on there :rolleyes:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
if kahn feels he's ready for a title shot then i say let him take his shot.
This is great news!

This sets up Khan vs Hatton for next year some time. :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can't see ree's getting through his next fight but if he does i sure as hell hope Khan gets a shot at him and expose Ree's for what he really is!

as for Hatton vs. Khan

WOW everyone can forget Haye vs. maccarinelli

Hatton vs. Khan would blow that out of the water!
i would like to think hatton would win but Khan has a HUGE future ahead of him!

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
i can't see ree's getting through his next fight but if he does i sure as hell hope Khan gets a shot at him and expose Ree's for what he really is!

as for Hatton vs. Khan

WOW everyone can forget Haye vs. maccarinelli

Hatton vs. Khan would blow that out of the water!
i would like to think hatton would win but Khan has a HUGE future ahead of him!
Khan would be a fool if he ever decided to take on Ricky. He has a great future and all but Hatton would destroy him inside of 6.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Khan would be a fool if he ever decided to take on Ricky. He has a great future and all but Hatton would destroy him inside of 6.
yea if they were to fight tomorrow!

but i'm talking about when they do actually meet in a year and a half hatton will be that much older and khan will be that much more experienced!

it won't be so easy to choose!

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts

but i'm talking about when they do actually meet in a year and a half hatton will be that much older and khan will be that much more experienced!

Unless Khan has a belt by then i see no point in Ricky fighting him. He needs to focus on unifying then calling Floyd out to 140. That's how I want to see him end his career.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts

you make a good point there, jb:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Hatton would overwhelm Khan and take him somewhere he'd never been. Rees sucks, so Khan should beat him easily.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This is great news!

This sets up Khan vs Hatton for next year some time. :D
What about Khan-Campbell?
Unless Khan has a belt by then i see no point in Ricky fighting him. He needs to focus on unifying then calling Floyd out to 140. That's how I want to see him end his career.
Getting dominated in every facet of his craft, again?
I'd like to see him fight barrios at 135 or even rocky juarez at 135.
I'd rather see JMM-Khan.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Khan needs to stick at Lightweight rather than moving upto 140lbs. There's some good fighters at 135 and some decent fights to be made for Khan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts