Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amir Khan will return to the ring at the ExCel Arena in London on February 2 when he takes on Denmark's Martin Kristjansen.

The 21-year-old had a shorter night than expected earlier this month when he stopped Graham Earl in 72 seconds in the second defence of his Commonwealth title.

The lightweight will bid to continue his swift rise through the rankings against Kristjansen, who holds a 19-1-3 record but has just five wins by way of stoppage on his CV.

Sky Sports | Boxing | News | Khan handed Danish test

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bit of a disappointment for me to be honest, i was hoping he'd take on Jon Thaxton for the British title. That way the he'd have beaten everyone on the domestic scene and can move on to European honours. Instead he's going for these WBO Inter-continental belts, i dont like them at all. Id prefer to see a Brit fighter finish the domestic and european scenes before stepping to world level rather than going for these rubbish belts.

Looks like hes been thrown in with another puncher though:laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Bit of a disappointment for me to be honest, i was hoping he'd take on Jon Thaxton for the British title. That way the he'd have beaten everyone on the domestic scene and can move on to European honours. Instead he's going for these WBO Inter-continental belts, i dont like them at all. Id prefer to see a Brit fighter finish the domestic and european scenes before stepping to world level rather than going for these rubbish belts.

Looks like hes been thrown in with another puncher though:laugh:
the winner here gets a title shot later in the year according to warren though tom.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh but Khan has plenty of time for that, if i was Khan id want to get Thaxton for the Brit, Romanov for the Euro then fight an eliminator for the title. Besides, a world title fight this will lead to a defeat. Juan Diaz will definetly beat Khan IMO and David Diaz would have a very good chance.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Yeh but Khan has plenty of time for that, if i was Khan id want to get Thaxton for the Brit, Romanov for the Euro then fight an eliminator for the title. Besides, a world title fight this will lead to a defeat. Juan Diaz will definetly beat Khan IMO and David Diaz would have a very good chance.
khan wants to be champion in his next 3 fights though tom, it will put him #1 contender to katsidis and the WBO title.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sure even if he does get a world title shot, and gets beat, he has plenty of time to recover from it and come back stronger!

He shouldn't have too many problems in this upcoming fight, but a world title shot later in the year could be interesting!

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Another feather-fisted opponent. For some reason I'm not surprised. Looks like Con's team is hiding something. All these guys he's fighting can't punch. There not even decent hitters. Con's chin might be weaker than previously thought

·
Registered
118 Posts
Who the **** is 'Con' lol

Earl wasn't a particularly weak puncher - he wasn't heavy hitting though :(

Khan does have a bit of a chin problem I think, but even he should win this fight easy enough.

Providing he does and gets a world title shot, what has he got to lose? An unbeaten record is all...

And I think the reason he took this fight is to get him in place to have a shot at the world title, not because the opponent is 'feather-fisted.'

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Who the **** is 'Con' lol

Earl wasn't a particularly weak puncher - he wasn't heavy hitting though :(

Khan does have a bit of a chin problem I think, but even he should win this fight easy enough.

Providing he does and gets a world title shot, what has he got to lose? An unbeaten record is all...

And I think the reason he took this fight is to get him in place to have a shot at the world title, not because the opponent is 'feather-fisted.'
Earl was barely an average puncher. Not to mention the fact that he was shot. All you have to do is watch his fight against Katsidis. Except for scoring that one knock down, Earl took a bad beating. I just saw this fight again last week. And aside for the knock down the fight was pretty one-sided. Earl would of been better off having the fight stopped when the towel came in. Cuz the last 2 rounds were pretty brutal for Earl. I didn't expect Earl to give Con much of a fight. And he didn't

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just watched Khan vs Earl for the first time. And although i think Earl was damaged goods after the Katsidis fight. Khan is a special fighter. Hes going places and fast.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Earl was barely an average puncher. Not to mention the fact that he was shot. All you have to do is watch his fight against Katsidis. Except for scoring that one knock down, Earl took a bad beating. I just saw this fight again last week. And aside for the knock down the fight was pretty one-sided. Earl would of been better off having the fight stopped when the towel came in. Cuz the last 2 rounds were pretty brutal for Earl. I didn't expect Earl to give Con much of a fight. And he didn't
I agree in a sense but to a lesser extent. Not many 15 fight pro's get thrown in with deadly puncher's, so its not just Khan. Earl was shot but i personally thought he'd give Khan a tough fight, but that didnt happen. I wouldnt call him a 'con' but i would say they are fooling most casual British fans at the moment, alot of them think hes fighting world class fighters:laugh:

I think Frank Warren is alot to blame too, he seemingly has no confidence in his fighter's whatsoever. He wasted half of Ricky's prime, and he was VERY reluctant to make the Zoo fight. Hes wasted a lot of Calzaghe's and now Khan and Maccarinelli are next.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Another feather-fisted opponent. For some reason I'm not surprised. Looks like Con's team is hiding something. All these guys he's fighting can't punch. There not even decent hitters. Con's chin might be weaker than previously thought
how can you call him con when he'll be fighting katsidis in 08 at 21 years old with less than 20 fights under his belt? :confused:

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I agree in a sense but to a lesser extent. Not many 15 fight pro's get thrown in with deadly puncher's, so its not just Khan. Earl was shot but i personally thought he'd give Khan a tough fight, but that didnt happen. I wouldnt call him a 'con' but i would say they are fooling most casual British fans at the moment, alot of them think hes fighting world class fighters:laugh:

I think Frank Warren is alot to blame too, he seemingly has no confidence in his fighter's whatsoever. He wasted half of Ricky's prime, and he was VERY reluctant to make the Zoo fight. Hes wasted a lot of Calzaghe's and now Khan and Maccarinelli are next.
While I agree that Warren has wasted a lot of his fighters years, I also blame the fighter. They listen to him like he's there pimp or something. All those years of fighting bums and shot fighters and Calzaghe never once complained about Warren. He never questioned him. He just went along with it. And Maccarinelli is doing the same thing. Con seems to be following suit as well

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
how can you call him con when he'll be fighting katsidis in 08 at 21 years old with less than 20 fights under his belt? :confused:
I'll believe it when I see it. From what I hear Katsidis is in talks to fight Joel Casamayor. So I don't see were Con would fit in

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While I agree that Warren has wasted a lot of his fighters years, I also blame the fighter. They listen to him like he's there pimp or something. All those years of fighting bums and shot fighters and Calzaghe never once complained about Warren. He never questioned him. He just went along with it. And Maccarinelli is doing the same thing. Con seems to be following suit as well
When there contractually signed to Warren its hard for them to speak out, remember he pretty much owns them so if they fall out with him there basically f****d:laugh: Hatton spoke out about Warren in his auto-biography, and he had a courtcase filed against him not so long after:laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. From what I hear Katsidis is in talks to fight Joel Casamayor. So I don't see were Con would fit in
cool, you should be beleiving around may then. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I have been trying to follow Kahn as much as possible, but I am getting tired of getting excited when I hear that he has an opponent named only to find out that I have never heard of the guy. I feel like Khan is getting too much hype too early and it is hurting his reputation a little. If I didn't hear about him weekly I wouldn't care who he was fighting next.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts