Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At Tacoma, Wash. (Showtime): Dimitri Kirilov vs. Vic Darchinyan, 12 rounds, for Kirilov's IBF junior bantamweight title

As excited as I am about Clottey/Judah, I am thinking that this will be the better of the two big fights tonight. I have gone back and forth on the outcome, but I have finally settled on a KO win for Darchinyan. Big surprise, right? Yeah, I was really going out on a limb. There are still questions about Darchinyan in the wake of his KO loss to Nonito Donaire, but I think he will answer a lot of them against a skilled boxer with the movement and chin to make him work. I can see Vic getting frustrated and coming in awkwardly and walking into a shot, but then again when is he not awkward. I don't think Kirilov has the power to make him pay like Donaire did. In each guy's last fight, they got a questionable draw, but Darchinyan's was against the better opponent, Z Gorres in Gorres' hometown in the Philippines. It was a fight which Vic clearly won, but his three knockdowns were ruled slips. Kirilov, on the other hand, struggled to eek out a draw against a much less heralded guy coming in with seven losses. Darchinyan throws big power punches with that left hand that even the most skilled guys just don't see coming and I think that's what he'll do tonight as he catches up to him in the seventh or eighth round.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
At Tacoma, Wash. (Showtime): Dimitri Kirilov vs. Vic Darchinyan, 12 rounds, for Kirilov's IBF junior bantamweight title

As excited as I am about Clottey/Judah, I am thinking that this will be the better of the two big fights tonight. I have gone back and forth on the outcome, but I have finally settled on a KO win for Darchinyan. Big surprise, right? Yeah, I was really going out on a limb. There are still questions about Darchinyan in the wake of his KO loss to Nonito Donaire, but I think he will answer a lot of them against a skilled boxer with the movement and chin to make him work. I can see Vic getting frustrated and coming in awkwardly and walking into a shot, but then again when is he not awkward. I don't think Kirilov has the power to make him pay like Donaire did. In each guy's last fight, they got a questionable draw, but Darchinyan's was against the better opponent, Z Gorres in Gorres' hometown in the Philippines. It was a fight which Vic clearly won, but his three knockdowns were ruled slips. Kirilov, on the other hand, struggled to eek out a draw against a much less heralded guy coming in with seven losses. Darchinyan throws big power punches with that left hand that even the most skilled guys just don't see coming and I think that's what he'll do tonight as he catches up to him in the seventh or eighth round.
No doubt its gonna be one hell of a fight on Showtime.

I'm leaning towards Kirilov (no special reason) but I actually want Vic to win this fight, hes way more exciting.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Go Vic!!! You have to love his "no defense" style. It won't hurt him against the light punching Kirilov. If Kirilov is smart, he will concentrate on defense (running) and win rounds with the cleaner punches. Unfortunately, he will be lured into trading and will lose that battle.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go Vic!!! You have to love his "no defense" style. It won't hurt him against the light punching Kirilov. If Kirilov is smart, he will concentrate on defense (running) and win rounds with the cleaner punches. Unfortunately, he will be lured into trading and will lose that battle.
His defense is his offense. When you can punch like him, you have to let your hands go with no regard for human life. Even though he's kind of an arrogant jerk, I enjoy watching him and I hope he gets back on track. Kirolov's trainer Freddie Roach's comments about Vic have started to annoy me.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

I'm taking Darchinyan by TKO. Kirilov can't punch and Darchinyan eats guys like him for breakfast most of the time. We could see a Darchinyan KO win while he's down on all 3 cards, but I doubt it. I think he runs right over Kirilov.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know they are both transplanted, but does anyone know if Arthur Abraham and Vic Darchinyan are buddies? It's not like there are many Armenian-born champions out there. Actually, they may be the only two, because I'm pretty sure Vic was the first.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I've got Vic all the way. Kirilov's only chance is to box and move and not get caught ONCE. I just don't see that happening.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the arrogant ora that surrounds him. No ****?
He is a cocky little bastard. After Donaire turned out his lights, he was giving Vic his props and saying how much he respected him and Vic was like "You respect me? You respect me?! Then give me a rematch!" I got a kick out of it. He didn't even remember that he had been knocked down OR OUT. :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts