Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Klitschko brothers are the 1st true WHITE heavyweight champs since Ingemar Johanson (sp?) held the title for one fight in the early 60's. They are highly educated, multi-lingual, well spoken gentlemen (very unusual in this sport) yet still treated wih little respect by commentators. If the racial situation were reversed, the media would be jumping all over the situation; we all know that. They've accused Wladimir for clinching while admiring Ali for doing the same thing often in his career. Ruiz has made it the focal point of his arsenal without criticism. Racial bias? You bet! Clinching is a part of boxing and encouraged by trainers in the right spots. As we all know, the heavyweight division has been totally dominated by blacks for over 50 years and the lower weight classes have been dominated by Mexicans. Let's cheer on the new white fighters who are suddenly starting to make their mark and let the commentators know how we feel. HELP STOP RACISM IN BOXING! It will be good for the sport--the best man to man sport going!

·
Registered
7 Posts
reply to terry painter

In no way has any one disregarded the Klitchkos' academic excellence. They both have obtained a Dr. degree which is difficult no matter where you come from. I have to disaggree with your reasons of why Wvladamir is not more highly respected. First of all his style of boxing is not appealing to a boxing audience. You compare his flaw to a flaw(or style however you perceive it) of clinching, but he doesn't stick and move like Ali. Lets be realistic Klitchko's style of fighting is just not appealing because it's not pretty. The boxing audience wants to relate to the boxer and if his technique is to technical and not enough street, they aren't attracted to him. Klitchko is a great fighter but he's not that pretty of a fighter. Another thing is you bring up his race of being a white fighter and again I have to disaggree. Klitchko is European. If he was American he would be more popular, but he's not. Look at Gatti, yeah he was born in Canada but he is based out of New Jersey. He's not the greatest fighter but he has a huge audience and he is white. The American audience wants to see an American win. And my final thought is, who is Klitcko really fighting. Are there any great heavy weights right now challenging him? So before you bring race into the picture, get your shit together kid. Its not just white and black...or Mexican as you say.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have to say, I like Vitale better. I think I actually felt sorry for him during the Lewis fight. I can't stand Lennox Lewis, and the fight sealed the deal. Vitale ended up with, I think, 13 stitches over that eye. I know darn well that Lewis rubbed the laces over his eye on purpose. I watched the fight, and it didn't look the least bit unintentional to me. Anyway, since them I have had a thing for Vitale. I hope he does well, but they both have a ways to go. I have to agree witht he previous statement, they haven't really fought anyone that was great. There aren't many if any great fighters in the heavyweight division right now.

And my final thought is, who is Klitcko really fighting. Are there any great heavy weights right now challenging him? So before you bring race into the picture, get your shit together kid. Its not just white and black...or Mexican as you say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish Vitaly would come back he knocked out 34 of 35 guys and his only loses were because of injury and a cut and was winning both of those fights.He could have been one of the greats if he would stick around and beat up some bums, and Tommy Morrison had a version of a belt at one time also and he is trying to sue his way back in boxing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
HUGE fan of the brothers of destruction

I am an American but when Wladimir beat Byrd I thought it was a dominating crowd pleasing performance. Wladimir IS the only heavyweight attraction in boxing and it would be awesome if he fought the other heavyweight champion who is the biggest of the bunch. The skilled fighter vs the freak would be a decent draw and an even better one if Valuev (sp?) fought some other big name American heavyweights to gain publicity and respect.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Color dont matter except for the GREEN belts. As for the brothers, I just dont have a lot of respect for either. As skill goes they have it but I question their hearts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Word2Action

I agree with you re Wladimir. Despite his domination of Sam Peter (probably the best out there), he needs to clean up any American pretenders to the throne before taking on the other big Russian and unifying the title. I hope he and his trainer realize that he's got to knock em all out. If his opponent is still standing at the end, he'd be very lucky to get a decision from American judges; he's taking a big chance fighting at Madison Square Garden in his next fight. (Opponent as yet unannounced.)
Terry [email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TripleA

Vitali was as severely cut as I've seen any fighter, yet he wanted to continue. Wladimir got up 2 or 3 times in his fight with Peter and defeated him. No heart? Vitali quit once with a dislocated shoulder. That was a wise decision, not a lack of heart. He couldn't defend himself and couldn't have won the fight with that injury.
Terry [email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
klitchsko BROS.

:thumbsdown: 1ST OF ALL WLADIMIR KLITCHSKO IS NOT GOING 2 FIGHT ANY HEAVYWIEGHT WHO HAS A GOOD CHANCE OF BEATING HIM. COME ON THE GUY FIGHTS ONLY 1 TIME EVERY 2 YEARS. (AND LADY VIPER HERE U GO AGAIN,) WEATHER U LIKE LENNOX LEWIS OR NOT HE BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF WLADIMIRS EYE AND GOT THE TKO, U CAN TAKE IT HOW U WANT 2 BUT THE LACES IN THE EYE DOES NOT MATTER HE GOT BEAT BY SOME ONE WHO HAPPENED 2 BE THE SAME SIZE HE IS 4 A CHANGE, INSTEAD OF HIM ALWAYS FIGHTING SOME ONE SMALLER. WHO HE COULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF,POINT BLANK WLADIMIR IN MY OPINION HAS A VERY LONG WAY 2 GO. (O YEAH AND I CANT STAND THE KLITCHSKO BROS ESPECIALLY WLADIMIR.):mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just have one thing to say and then I'll leave it alone. Vitali may have had a shoulder problem, BUT, he was the world champion, in his home, defending his tittle, clearly ahead on all cards big time, with the fight all but over, what was there 1 or maybe 2 rounds left int he fight. I am pretty sure it was 1 but maybe it was 2. Heart plays a big part in that. Smart choice in quitting, from a marketing stand point maybe but not from a champion's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cherub

Unlike many champs, Wladimir DOES fight those who could beat him. He took on Sam Peter who is his size and possibly has the hardest punch in boxing today. Most contenders are smaller than Wladimir, though. Not his fault. The overrated Chris Byrd, though small, WAS the #1 contender, although he didn't deserve it. Most champs don't fight but once a year; Wladimir is scheduled for a yet to be named opponent in Nov. He wants the best out there to unify the title--but you know how that goes--lots of alphabet soup belts out there. They may not want to risk it against Wladimir. The bros. are educated, intelligent and courteous--a refreshing change from what we often see in boxing. (I'm NOT including Lenox Luis (sp?) in this--he was also a gentleman.
Terry [email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Word2Action

Glad you agee with me. Hope you saw the Taylor/Wright midddle weight championship on tv tonight (6/17/06). Wright won it but the judges called it a draw. The announcer was constantly rewarding Taylor for punches that were clearly blocked. Close fight, but I could hardly give Taylor a round--so it goes on and on with incompetent or bought off judges.
If you want to talk, let's do regular email & not bother with the process of going through BoxingForum.com.
Terry [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts