Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was announced that Wladimir Klitschko is leaning towards defending against the WBO mandatory challenger Tony Thompson instead of IBF mandatory Alexander Povetkin. I don't know about you but to me a Thompson fight (6'5 southpaw) would be a matchmaking error by Klitschko and his camp if he wants to rebound from the snoozer and tactical mess that was Klitschko v. Ibragimov. He wants to fight Thompson July 12 on HBO (do they not get tired of getting burned by this guy) and Povetkin later this year. If I were in his camp I would push for Povetkin now (which is pretty much a guarunteed action fight with Alexanders' pressing, no defense, high punch-output style and Wladimirs' low durability, power-punching style) and the winner of Chagaev v. Valuev later this year. But thats just me.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
It was announced that Wladimir Klitschko is leaning towards defending against the WBO mandatory challenger Tony Thompson instead of IBF mandatory Alexander Povetkin. I don't know about you but to me a Thompson fight (6'5 southpaw) would be a matchmaking error by Klitschko and his camp if he wants to rebound from the snoozer and tactical mess that was Klitschko v. Ibragimov. He wants to fight Thompson July 12 on HBO (do they not get tired of getting burned by this guy) and Povetkin later this year. If I were in his camp I would push for Povetkin now (which is pretty much a guarunteed action fight with Alexanders' pressing, no defense, high punch-output style and Wladimirs' low durability, power-punching style) and the winner of Chagaev v. Valuev later this year. But thats just me.
Wlad is still scared his chin will let him down again the first guy to land a solid shot on the button will be the next champ

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's gonna face Povetkin anyways he might as well face him while he's still a little green with 15 pro fights instead of letting the guy get more experience.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think hes fighting the WBO mandatory to show he cares about it and they wont get all pissed at him and stuff, i dont know how boxing politics work exactly but what im trying to say is that maby hes showing the WBO board and directors or whatever that he wants to fight their mandatory so when he doesnt in the future they wont get all mad at him :p haha i make no sense but that might be it.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I'm glad he is fighting Thompson, he is a deserving mandatory challenger, somebody that only gets a big fight with mandatory status because he brings no money to the table and he is quite dangerous. I think Klitschko beats him but its the best fight he can get right now, all the others beltholders are busy and Povetkin needs to learn some more before, and probably his camp realizes that..

I'm not very excited about this fight, but I see it as the best option for Klitschko in this sad division

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I'm glad he is fighting Thompson, he is a deserving mandatory challenger, somebody that only gets a big fight with mandatory status because he brings no money to the table and he is quite dangerous. I think Klitschko beats him but its the best fight he can get right now, all the others beltholders are busy and Povetkin needs to learn some more before, and probably his camp realizes that..

I'm not very excited about this fight, but I see it as the best option for Klitschko in this sad division
I agree. I think Thompson is a good fighter. He ain't beating Klitschko. But I see him giving a better fight than Sultan did

1 - 6 of 6 Posts