Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me start with one of my favorite jokes. What does HMO stand for? Well, back int he 30's and 40's there was a doctor who found you could save money on a patient's pain killers if you distracted them by poking them in the eyes. His name was Moe Howard and "HMO" stands for "HEY MOE!"

OK, now my knee. I'm pretty sure I tore the meniscus Monday. 20 years ago I completely tore the ACL, really blew it out bad. My knee swelled up like a basketball, full of blood - I know because they drained it. Since then, I've suffered. A couple of years ago I saw a doc and told him what was wrong - I saw the MRI years ago. He didn't believe me but ordered an xray "just to be sure". When my xray showed chunks of bone floating in my knee he ordered an MRI. When he read the MRI it showed all the problems I told him about in the first place. Rather than fix it, he wanted to do nothing. I twisted his arm and got a custom-built brace. That brace has been fantastic, allowing me to box, jog, hike. Well, I didn't cinch it up correctly when boxing monday and tore my meniscus, I'm sure of it. At this point I'm really pissed because my new HMO doctor will just tell me to spend the rest of my life sitting on my ass or "do a little swimming". Anybody else here have bad knees? My previous doctor opted to do nothing about it, just telling me that I'll be due for a knee replacement someday. I'm only 41.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I sympathize. I also have bad knees, though not as bad as yours and I know the pain. I'm not too sure what you can do, apart from search around different doctors who can give you what you want. Good luck :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

·
Registered
841 Posts
First, let me start with one of my favorite jokes. What does HMO stand for? Well, back int he 30's and 40's there was a doctor who found you could save money on a patient's pain killers if you distracted them by poking them in the eyes. His name was Moe Howard and "HMO" stands for "HEY MOE!"

OK, now my knee. I'm pretty sure I tore the meniscus Monday. 20 years ago I completely tore the ACL, really blew it out bad. My knee swelled up like a basketball, full of blood - I know because they drained it. Since then, I've suffered. A couple of years ago I saw a doc and told him what was wrong - I saw the MRI years ago. He didn't believe me but ordered an xray "just to be sure". When my xray showed chunks of bone floating in my knee he ordered an MRI. When he read the MRI it showed all the problems I told him about in the first place. Rather than fix it, he wanted to do nothing. I twisted his arm and got a custom-built brace. That brace has been fantastic, allowing me to box, jog, hike. Well, I didn't cinch it up correctly when boxing monday and tore my meniscus, I'm sure of it. At this point I'm really pissed because my new HMO doctor will just tell me to spend the rest of my life sitting on my ass or "do a little swimming". Anybody else here have bad knees? My previous doctor opted to do nothing about it, just telling me that I'll be due for a knee replacement someday. I'm only 41.
I know I few people with the same prob. Best thing to do is either just ignore it and shoot up cortisone every few weeks or you go and get it cleaned up inside. A knee surgery like that ie cleaning up bone fragments and calcium deposits has a very fast healing rate, 1-3 weeks. Also, they have amazing menisci replacements these days, I'd look into that if I were you. Sorry if I wasn't much help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts