Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buddy's have been trying to figure this out for a long while now. I hope this isnt a stupid question who answer has mysteriously hide from me, but ill ask it anyway. After a fighter is knocked down, the ref will give him the count. Then have the fighter reach out, and the ref will shake/whip/touch his gloves, EVERYTIME before letting a fighter continue. Why? Why does the ref pull on a fighters gloves?

-Melty

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
He pulls the gloves towards his shirt to clean the rosen off that might have gotten on them so that when he lands the next punch it won't get in the other fighters eyes. Is that what your asking?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Rosen used on the bottom of the shoes for better footing. Maybe the tugging is just to check the fighters reaction and reflex's

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
he just getting the excessive stuff that could of been on the canvas that his gloves may have picked up because certian thing can cause cuts or cause damage to the other guys eyes. the usually do wipe them off, its just hard to tell sometimes. you see alot of fighters doing it when they slip.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Its to clean the gloves. They do it to limit the chance of a loose string from the mat or rosen from the fighters chooses from getting in the fighter's eyes. IMO thats why Marciano got blinded for 3 rounds in the Walcott fight, and Clay was blinded for 1 1/2 in the Liston fight. Some substance, perhaps rosen got into their eyes because the ref missed a spot on the gloves, after all, it is just a quick wipe and out they go. Or mabe coagulant got in their eyes that was on the mat, and the fighters gloves fell into. Stuff like that. And it might also be to check to see if there is still enough vaseline on the gloves, and it didn't get wiped off on the mat. There are numerous reasons to be honest.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I always thought it was figure out if they are truly ready to continue. When you get Knocked down your muscles tense up and I thought it was to see it they're ready or not depending on if they are tense

1 - 8 of 8 Posts