Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Mark Vester

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis says that current IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko is without a real challenger. He doesn't see anyone giving Klitschko a real fight at the present, including David Haye.

Lewis feels Haye is not ready for a fighter like Klitschko. He think Haye needs at least another 18-months to prepare and get himself ready for a Klitschko fight. Haye has been calling Klitschko out for the last few months, and even confronting the Ukranian champion during two charity events in London.

"People keep asking me about him and I tell them he has real talent. He's very good, he's upcoming, he can punch and he's very capable. I know he's calling out Klitschko right now but I don't think he's ready yet. Perhaps 18 months down the line, maybe then he will have what it takes," Lewis said.

Lewis was ringside for Klitschko's knockout of WBO mandatory Tony Thompson. He didn't think Thompson had enough power to hurt Klitschko, but he still saw him putting up a decent fight. He doesn't think there is anyone is out there for Klitschko in the heavyweight division. Lewis sees himself as the only person that can challenge Klitschko. Don't get your hopes up, Lewis is not about to come out of retirement.

"Tony Thompson fought a good fight," Lewis said. ""He didn't have the power to hurt Wladimir, who has good talent when he uses it. The further the fight went, the more Wladimir started to relax and was a little less robotic. I always said Klitschko could throw great right hands and it was a real good shot that knocked Tony out. The problem for Klitschko is the way the heavyweights are now. He doesn't have no challengers. Maybe there's one, but he's retired. You could say, I've been there and done that."

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ [email protected]

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I wonder if he's hinting at something, but I agree, it's pointless to say if he isn't going to do something about it.

I think haye gives Klitschko all he wants and more personally.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I think he was saying that he's his biggest threat and he's not even active, meaning that the division is pure shitt.
And he's 100% right too Dont get your hopes up Lennox will not be back lifes too good for him now

·
8,579 Posts
Turn Ike Ibeabuchi loose give him 3 months in the gym he'd knock both Klitschko's back to the Ukraine LOL

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think he was saying that he's his biggest threat and he's not even active, meaning that the division is pure shitt.
I would take Wlad over Lennox if he came back right now. In there prime Lewis stops him

·
8,579 Posts
That's a stretch.
Ike was the only man I'd have given a chance of beating an in shape focussed Lennox Lewis. Its a tragedy what happened

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ike was the only man I'd have given a chance of beating an in shape focussed Lennox Lewis. Its a tragedy what happened
Oliver McCall beat an in shape Lewis

·
8,579 Posts
Oliver McCall beat an in shape Lewis
BS Lennox took McCall too lightly Pepe Corea didnt make him train
That was a lucky Heil Mary punch if ever I saw one Mc Call had his eyes closed when he threw it LOL

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Eyes closed or not though, it still landed, which is Lewis' fault.

I think Lennox retired a bit early and I would hav eliked to see another couple fights, but I can certainly understand him leaving the fight game. I dont htink hell be returning either, as he seems very convincing unlike many other so called "retired" fighters over the last decade.

·
8,579 Posts
Eyes closed or not though, it still landed, which is Lewis' fault.

I think Lennox retired a bit early and I would hav eliked to see another couple fights, but I can certainly understand him leaving the fight game. I dont htink hell be returning either, as he seems very convincing unlike many other so called "retired" fighters over the last decade.
Sure it was 100% Lennox own fault so was Rachman and he knows it.
Theres no way he'll ever come back BTW have you ever seen a pic of his wife Violet????????? WOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! He tries to keep her out of the limelight to protect her

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
to protect HER, or to protect himself ;)

BTW, prime for prime, Lennox would dominate Wladimir. Klit only has 2 punches, and while very good, they are no match for the very superior boxing skills of Lewis.

Lennox had good power, a terrific jab and hook, and even threw a good uppercut. He was a very smart fighter, and good defensively. I think he would have gotten a late round KO after wearing Klitschko down.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i like lewis excellent boxing ability, but he always had them "Lazy" moments in fights that made him vulnerable, the times i would shout get your hands up lewis were far too many and in too many fights.

Perhaps this vulnerability, made him more watchable and marketable.

Badger in Asia

·
Banned
8 Posts
povetkin beats wladimir in there fight.
i agree with lennox. haye doesnt have what it takes to beat wladimir yet.. well atleast he hasnt done anything in the hw devision to prove than he deserves a shot.
i would love to see haye fight povetkin to prove he deserves that shot. stalkin wladimir and running his mouth wont get him any closer to the title shot atleast.

Edited:
Forgot to add Hayes name after lennex in the second line -.-

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
i agree with lennox doesnt have what it takes to beat wladimir yet.. well atleast he hasnt done anything in the hw devision to prove than he deserves a shot.
i would love to see haye fight povetkin to prove he deserves that shot. stalkin wladimir and running his mouth wont get him any closer to the title shot atleast.
I'm not sure if Povetkin will be the man to beat Klitschko, actually I give him a very small chance of doing so. Povetkin ate so many punchers against Chambers that I believe Klitschko will ruin him with the very few shots hes used to throw.

·
8,579 Posts
i agree with lennox doesnt have what it takes to beat wladimir yet.. well atleast he hasnt done anything in the hw devision to prove than he deserves a shot.
LOL give lennox 6 weeks in gym and he'd and he'd clean wlad's clock no problem so would Ike Ibeabuchi

1 - 20 of 154 Posts